A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Service Action 91U7 Infotainment Security Patch 2015-2017 Models

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any word on what the update is? I scheduled my appointment and then canceled it. I don't want them taking away any functionality under the assumption that they are giving a security update. Seems very shady.
The following users liked this post:
A4Driver (08-09-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

If it's a true security patch, then they are probably tidying things up like shutting down the open WiFi port, fixing permissions so they can't gain access to the root user, etc. Very common security exploits these days.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91U7 Service done

Had my 91U7 service done today. None of the mmi version numbers have changed. Still at Software Version 0443 and media driver CLU4_MMX2_AU_NAR_G22_054PROD-1. Anyone have newer versions than this installed? Haven't been able to find any obvious changes to the mmi. I don't have an audi connect subscription so I can't tell you if the Google earth functionality has been removed.

2017 A4 Quattro Premium Plus
Old 08-09-2019, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Pestana
Had my 91U7 service done today. None of the mmi version numbers have changed. Still at Software Version 0443 and media driver CLU4_MMX2_AU_NAR_G22_054PROD-1. Anyone have newer versions than this installed? Haven't been able to find any obvious changes to the mmi. I don't have an audi connect subscription so I can't tell you if the Google earth functionality has been removed.

2017 A4 Quattro Premium Plus
No change for me either, still 0443. Very disappointing...
Old 08-09-2019, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know how Audi packages up their releases, but given the nature of the change, this may very well be below the MMI version 'app layer', and in the OS, and/or another (not disclosured to user ) linux component, like the firewall setup/config etc.

So this might truly be a hardening patch or sets of patches applied to the release that doesn't even touch the MMI. Seems like that would be the mostly likely scenario.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

I actually would not expect this "patch" to require an actual code change hence the revision(s) of the software have not changed.

It's more than likely it was configuration settings, permissions, etc changes with the system itself which is not code.

Also, did you ask your service advisor why the software revision didn't change?
Old 08-09-2019, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by notmyrealaccount1034
Any word on what the update is? I scheduled my appointment and then canceled it. I don't want them taking away any functionality under the assumption that they are giving a security update. Seems very shady.
I hear you. I read several posts on another forum where several people said they brought their car in for service and when they got their car back they no longer had the Google Maps overlay. Instead, they had a new overlay, according to one poster:

"I had the update performed on my 2018 S5 Sportback and like PDP11, my map overlay is now an uglier version of the Satellite map. It has the permanent "Imagery (c) 2019 DigitalGlobe, U.S. Geological Survey, USDA Farm Service Agency" on the screen. The map image is lower resolution, appearing pixelated with a slight flickering when scrolling. The objects (trees, lakes, etc.) are much darker and harder to see than the original map. Very disappointed that a downgraded version of the overlay would be put in place prior to the expiration date of this service. And like others, very upset that there is any expiration at all. Clearly not transparent through the marketing and sales process.

And it is called Satellite View now on the Map Settings. Google Earth is no longer referenced ..."

Doesn't sound good.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Driver
I hear you. I read several posts on another forum where several people said they brought their car in for service and when they got their car back they no longer had the Google Maps overlay. Instead, they had a new overlay, according to one poster:

"I had the update performed on my 2018 S5 Sportback and like PDP11, my map overlay is now an uglier version of the Satellite map. It has the permanent "Imagery (c) 2019 DigitalGlobe, U.S. Geological Survey, USDA Farm Service Agency" on the screen. The map image is lower resolution, appearing pixelated with a slight flickering when scrolling. The objects (trees, lakes, etc.) are much darker and harder to see than the original map. Very disappointed that a downgraded version of the overlay would be put in place prior to the expiration date of this service. And like others, very upset that there is any expiration at all. Clearly not transparent through the marketing and sales process.

And it is called Satellite View now on the Map Settings. Google Earth is no longer referenced ..."

Doesn't sound good.
Awhile back i poster that Audi is moving from Google earth to Satellite view truly a downgrade, and i wonder how it will be done on older cars without a software change, I Know now. I'm still upset with Audi for dropping google street view and others without any notice, VW is truly a deceitful Company.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check this article from computest about this security issue. 91U7

https://www.computest.nl/en/knowledg...ects/car-hack/
Old 08-17-2019, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yup, they spend a lot of money to ensure the ECU cannot be hacked, and encrypt it and secure it but the car itself is vulnerable to some of the easiest Internet hacks. That is far more dangerous for the consumer if someone wanted to actually be malicious towards the end user/driver. Tho it requires a close proximity to the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Service Action 91U7 Infotainment Security Patch 2015-2017 Models