A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Sometimes I hate owning a nice car

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Sometimes I hate owning a nice car

Now don't get me wrong, I'd much rather be driving my 2017 A4 than '94 Ford Taurus. But there were times I wish I was in the Taurus instead.

Times like yesterday, when I was driving on a two-lane bridge that spans the Connecticut River. I was in the right lane, doing about 45-50 mph. There was nobody directly in front of me. However, in the left lane, there was a row of cars, doing the same speed, and tightly packed.

The front of my car was next to the right rear quarter panel of a car (an A5 no less!) in the left lane, when all of the sudden and without signaling, the driver, who apparently liked the "empty" lane I was in, suddenly lurched over into my lane. I hit my brakes harder than I ever have before, and turned my wheel to the right to avoid his hitting me. There was a sidewalk to my right, and I came just inches from climbing up on it, and, who knows, over the bridge railing if I had had enough momentum.

At the same time this was happening, I was pressing down on my horn button for dear life, but it seemed to have no effect on the jerk.

Meanwhile, after I regained my composure, I had visions of sitting there in a totaled car, and wondered if it was worth it to drive a car so nice.

Rewind about four months. There is a sweeping blind curve not far from my house, where the property owner has planted a tightly-packed row of 6-foot-high arborvitaes, completely blocking drivers' views around the bend. One day I was driving on this road, when all of a sudden as I was halfway around the curve, another car was coming at me head-on.

Again I slammed on my brakes and hit the horn, and the other driver was somehow able to return to his lane with only inches to spare between us. As he passed by and our eyes locked, he gave a wave and a sheepish grin, as every swear word in my entire vocabulary spilled out of my mouth like Niagara Falls.

These are just two incidents where my car was just inches from being totaled, and, I am embarrassed to admit, it makes me a little nervous to get on the road some days. I'm just praying that my luck holds out for a long time.

Last edited by A4Driver; 01-31-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Get a dash cam, youll feel better when you can prove it wasnt your fault.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree
Old 01-31-2017, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I completely agree. People these days don't have any respect for others cars (or anything, really); they'll swing open their doors in parking lots, they'll park extremely close, drive like idiots, etc etc.

It's an unfortunately reality, but I still wouldn't give up driving a nice car. I just am a lot more aware of where I park, the situation around me while driving, and so on. Plus having a dash cam is definitely helpful.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a no fault state like Minnesota not sure what good a dash cam would do me. My insurance will still pay for it if some idiot runs into me.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had to look up arborvitaes.

Accidents and stupid drivers will continue to happen whether you drive a '17 A4 or a '94 Taurus. The A4 might afford better protection for you and yours should there be an accident, though the A4 might also help you avoid the accident entirely due to a broader performance envelope or electronic nannies.

You have to live your life. If you want to drive a nice car, do so. Accidents will find you (or not) regardless.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

@A4Driver,

I totally, totally get where you are coming from. See my thread some months back. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...hings-2905930/

Unfortunately, I have come to view driving the same way, most especially where I'm doing most of my milage - NE/NJ and NYC - some of the most crowded, stressful driving in the USA. Yes, I know Asia and Europe can be far worse. And your first scenario, in particular, resonates strongly - you have to white knuckle it and then be mindful that the person in back of you is keeping proper distance. Sometimes I feel, no matter how careful and defensively you drive, it's like a waiting game and only a matter of time before you are not that lucky and you get banged. When I was driving down the NJ Pike today in the late morning, a guy in front of me was noticeably swerving in the lane, as I passed him he was looking straight into his phone. I'm sorry if I sound so pessimistic - and this after I just bought a 2017 Allroad today, but that seems to be the nature of things in the very urban areas of the country - many drivers are distracted, inconsiderate and/or just poor drivers and/or all of the above. Add to that, the density and its almost a waiting game.
Sometimes, I think about getting a decent "beater car" for commuting, but then that would be the 3rd car in the driveway and another car to insure and maintain, but I like the handling and tech and safety on the A4's and I don't want it to be a garage queen.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

I live in a predominately farm land area, but crowded with summer tourists. To A4's point, we have lots of farm equipment out here which require no license tags. The farmers all agree that as they try to get back on the road with a tractor or larger equipment and are having difficulty, they always pull out in front of an on coming Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Jaguar, Range Rover, etc. They know damn well that owners of expensive cars will do anything to avoid an accident, but the owner of a Taurus or some such vehicle do not give a rats behind and neither do the farmers.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Makes me glad I don't drive much nowadays (till I move from IL next year, that is). But yes. Instead of feeling bad, feel happy that you are in a nice car that can protect you better than say, a '94 Taurus.
And when I go shopping, I always park as far away from their cars as possible, especially when it is windy, even if it means I have to walk in the cold and risk frostbite
Old 01-31-2017, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

A4Driver, you have actually gotten off pretty well. For me, it is the "Curse of Audi". I owned a '13 Lexus GS for almost 3 years and never came close to having an accident. When I had my '15 S5, a valet parking attendant pulled it into a concrete bench and damaged the front end. Fixed and traded for a '17 A4.

During the first month with my A4, I got a dent that went all the way into the cutline on the passenger side rear fender. It happened at the airport but looked like someone had backed into my car. It was mostly removed through paintless dent removal, but there is still a slight dent above the cutline.

A month ago, I was stopped at a U-turn off the highway and some idiot rear-ended me and took off. He did significant damage to the rear bumper and passenger side rear quarter. Back to the same shop that fixed my S5 and I am good to go. But now I am absolutely paranoid to drive my A4. And, BTW, I work from home so I don't commute. I can't imagine how I'd feel if I drove to work everyday. I call it the "idiot obstacle course" on the roads these days. Just trying to avoid someone who is distracted or stupid.

I leased a "base" Honda Accord LX for my cousin who is living in Dallas and have been seriously considering taking it from her and giving her my A4. ;-)

Last edited by dseag2; 01-31-2017 at 07:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Sometimes I hate owning a nice car