A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Start/Stop A4 2017

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 01:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start/Stop A4 2017

Bought my car during Summer. Never noticed this feature. Now that it's cooler out, the car stop/starts all the time. Is there a way to disable?
Old 10-09-2017, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I mean, read the manual....

there's a giant button below your HVAC controls
Old 10-09-2017, 02:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Nostromo
I mean, read the manual....

there's a giant button below your HVAC controls
How about a little actual help from someone please. What kind of troll lives on Audi Forums just to bust on other people's questions?
Old 10-09-2017, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DSMLVNV
How about a little actual help from someone please. What kind of troll lives on Audi Forums just to bust on other people's questions?
I mean he’s not wrong- a quick google search would have yielded an answer, and there is a button on the dash to disable it. And it’s in the manual, that comes with every car sold. Creating a thread for something that takes less than 30 seconds to get the answer to on your own will get you some flack.

If you want to permenantly disable, you would need to do some coding to the cars computer. This may or may not be noticed at the dealer, and they may or may not care. If interested in this solution, there’s a ton of threads on this forum on how to do so.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dave788
I mean he’s not wrong- a quick google search would have yielded an answer, and there is a button on the dash to disable it. And it’s in the manual, that comes with every car sold. Creating a thread for something that takes less than 30 seconds to get the answer to on your own will get you some flack.

If you want to permenantly disable, you would need to do some coding to the cars computer. This may or may not be noticed at the dealer, and they may or may not care. If interested in this solution, there’s a ton of threads on this forum on how to do so.
You're just as big a troll! I think it's pretty obvious that, yes, I was referring to a permanent solution.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

You're just as big a troll! I think it's pretty obvious that, yes, I was referring to a permanent solution.
No troll here- you didn’t ask how to permanently disable the system, you asked how to disable it. The answer to that is press the button. Sorry if we misunderstood, but a little clarification goes a long way.

Anywho- I stand by my previous comment if that’s the case. Google it or search the forums. We are all just owners and not paid to locate answers for those not willing to search. If you searched and couldn’t find the answer, then by all means let us know in your post.

I personally wouldn’t permanently disable it. I’m too afraid that it could void the warrantee and certain methods have other unintended side effects. I would recommend getting used to hitting the button every time you start the car- or light pressure to the brake pedal which avoids it happening. Most will say the dealer won’t notice or care, but I don’t want to risk it. If you choose to, there’s a ton of solutions to do so on this form to code the car.

Best of luck.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put the car into S mode instead of D mode when you drive it. Not only will it disable the auto start/stop it will be more responsive and fun to drive. Other than that, I don't know of a way to disable the feature.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel like I must the only person on the planet who actually likes the stop/start feature. I like the quiet when it kicks in and like that it's saving me gas while I wait a minute or two at the stop light. If it occasionally kicks in when I don't want it to, such as when I'm at a quick stop sign or the light changes seconds after I reach it, then it's not so great, but it doesn't really bother me. As someone who hasn't bought a new car in 14 years, I didn't even know the feature existed until earlier this year when I drove a rental (think it was some SUV), so I thought it was rather nice that my new Audi also has the feature.

At first I thought it was broken because it never kicked in and complained to the dealer, but I eventually figured out that it was because I had the air conditioning on during the summer. Now that it's cooler, it definitely kicks in a lot more.

But in answer to the question, lots of people have used OBDEleven to disable the feature completely. You can buy one from Deutsche Auto Parts, who I believe is the exclusive vendor in the US for this product. There are two drawbacks to it, though. They recently raised their price by $20 to $79.99 and you need an Android device to run it. If you're on iOS, you're out of luck, so you have to buy a cheap Android device to run it. Just make sure it's not too cheap or it may not work. It'll have to have Bluetooth and WIFI (Bluetooth to connect to the OBD dongle and the WIFI for Internet connection).

I bought one myself just yesterday (Android tablet and OBDEleven), and decided to pick up a moderately inexpensive Asus tablet running Marshmallow (upgradeable to Nougat) from Amazon. Both should get here sometime this week.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

@DSMLVNV...you need to chill bro. You asked a question and got an answer. Now that you've clarified your question, get an OBDeleven and you can use the app to disable the SS completely.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don’t mind it so much, but start and stop traffic (living in Baltimore DC corridor) it gets disabled regularly. Around the town/City traffic I don’t mind it at all.

Quick Reply: Start/Stop A4 2017