A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Stiffer suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stiffer suspension

After driving first thousand miles on my B9 with adaptive suspension I clearly want something stiffer in cornering (Power is adequate - no reason upgrade to S4 - we are in US ).
Changing comfort to dynamic is changing how you feel bumps but no impact on the cornering.

The question is: what would be the best way adjust suspension for cornering? Definitely with adaptive suspension shock absorbers should stays. Stiffer Springs? Don't need lower - there are reason that adaptive suspension -10mm override sport -23. Maybe from new S4?
Is there are way tweak settings in electronic?
Any ideas appreciated
Old 04-30-2017, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...brace-2915125/
Is what you need I think. And there's guys that did the rear too... I'd consider those probably first.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking maybe you want to try a rear sway bar. I have comfort adaptive and 19s, just did the 034 Dynamic+ springs and I think it corners fine, might consider a few more tweaks.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by exboy
I'm thinking maybe you want to try a rear sway bar. I have comfort adaptive and 19s, just did the 034 Dynamic+ springs and I think it corners fine, might consider a few more tweaks.
How is about lowering? I found those springs and looks like they do 2" lower. Not something that I would like to do... How them affect suspension electronic?
Old 04-30-2017, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnit
The question is: what would be the best way adjust suspension for cornering? Any ideas appreciated
Step One is to identify what needs help. Does the car understeer (plow) more than you like? Or does the tail twitch or want to step out? Are you willing to sacrifice bad-weather traction to improved traction on a smooth dry road?

Each of those suggests a different way to improve.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by munsabin
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...brace-2915125/
Is what you need I think. And there's guys that did the rear too... I'd consider those probably first.
Pretty sure there are more mental improvement then real as car already have bars And also looking to their bar - it is not rally grade. Don't expect significant change from current...
Old 04-30-2017, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis
Step One is to identify what needs help. Does the car understeer (plow) more than you like? Or does the tail twitch or want to step out? Are you willing to sacrifice bad-weather traction to improved traction on a smooth dry road?

Each of those suggests a different way to improve.
Good point. What I don't like is that car lean in corners. That it. It is bad feeling
Old 04-30-2017, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Good point. What I don't like is that car lean in corners. That it. It is bad feeling
Leaning is not, of itself, bad. Compliance in the suspension is necessary to deal with bumps and to prevent weight transfer to the outside wheels, which in turn would ask them to provide more than their share of the cornering force.

"Anti-roll" bars can reduce lean but since they also affect weight transfer they tend, in most cases, to reduce the available grip at the end where they are installed. For example, an anti-roll bar in the front would most likely also add to the car's present tendency to understeer. You may have seen photos of a car lifting its inside front wheel completely, which means the outside tire is the only one at the front providing all of the cornering force.

If you really want to try something try a rear anti-roll bar--but be very careful or you will find the back of the car trying to lead the front down the road.

My Allroad probably leans more than an A4 sedan since it is taller, but so far I have no complaints about its handling. It is sure better than my old Mercedes 560SEC
!
Old 04-30-2017, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis
Leaning is not, of itself, bad. Compliance in the suspension is necessary to deal with bumps and to prevent weight transfer to the outside wheels, which in turn would ask them to provide more than their share of the cornering force.

"Anti-roll" bars can reduce lean but since they also affect weight transfer they tend, in most cases, to reduce the available grip at the end where they are installed. For example, an anti-roll bar in the front would most likely also add to the car's present tendency to understeer. You may have seen photos of a car lifting its inside front wheel completely, which means the outside tire is the only one at the front providing all of the cornering force.

If you really want to try something try a rear anti-roll bar--but be very careful or you will find the back of the car trying to lead the front down the road.

My Allroad probably leans more than an A4 sedan since it is taller, but so far I have no complaints about its handling. It is sure better than my old Mercedes 560SEC
!
Your calm explanation convincing left it as it is. I still know how physics affect real world and agree that all changes coming with price. I had number of stock Audi's in 90s - they are never been stiff, but coming from recent Subaru it is dramatic difference...
Thinking maybe some electronic setup (from S) could improve cornering to some degree?
Old 04-30-2017, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thinking maybe some electronic setup (from S) could improve cornering to some degree?
Hard to say. My Allroad has "adaptive damping suspension" and a choice of drive modes. In "Dynamic" it is pretty sporty.

It sounds to me like "cornering" isn't really what you want improve, but rather you find the body roll uncomfortable. A rear anti-roll bar can help that but as I said, you may find the tail wanting to step out in hard corners. I mean REALLY hard, seldom seen on public streets.

Quick Reply: Stiffer suspension