A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Is subtle vibration in park normal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by electric_warrior

Thanks for the input. It’s not the noise I’m noticing, but the subtle cabin vibration of the engine, only while idling in park at 800rpm. It’s totally silent, just a slight, steady physical rumble.
Sorry. I forgot to mention the vibration. Yes. It is normal
Old 03-05-2019, 01:31 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Isn't this somehow related to the direct injection?
Old 03-05-2019, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
Isn't this somehow related to the direct injection?
Not really, again, this is only happening when in park and the RPMs are lower. Once in gear, any vibration typically disappears and its smooth as a hybrid.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:49 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Not really, again, this is only happening when in park and the RPMs are lower. Once in gear, any vibration typically disappears and its smooth as a hybrid.
I haven't paid enough attention to it (and the start/stop makes it harder to observe idling behaviour), but doesn't this car do what other cars do and, when cold, idle at a higher RPM if in P/N, but if you put in gear, then the RPM drops to the 'normal' idle?
Old 03-05-2019, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
I haven't paid enough attention to it (and the start/stop makes it harder to observe idling behaviour), but doesn't this car do what other cars do and, when cold, idle at a higher RPM if in P/N, but if you put in gear, then the RPM drops to the 'normal' idle?
Yes and no. When you start your car, it will idle higher for a little bit(around 1300RPM) and then settle down to around 900RPM after a minute or two(depending on how cold the engine is). If you shift it right into gear instead of waiting for the engine to settle down, the RPM will drop a bit, but not to the point where it would if you had waited those couple minutes. I have always done the sit and wait method before getting into gear. It only takes a minute or so like I said, and I at least make sure the car and the engine is ready for me to start driving it.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I always felt you might feel a slight vibration from the engine in the A4 if the idle RPMs dip a little was due to the fact the engine is mounted longitudinally. It the engine shakes in the mounts it can move the car ever so slightly side to side and you feel it.

If the engine was mounted laterally, the very same engine vibration would be less noticeable because it would be absorbed into the car mounts and frame in a forward and back motion.

Just a characteristic of our Quattro drive systems.

Last edited by Dave W; 03-05-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:32 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dave W
I always felt you might feel a slight vibration from the engine in the A4 if the idle RPMs dip a little was due to the fact the engine is mounted longitudinally. It the engine shakes in the mounts it can move the car ever so slightly side to side and you feel it.

If the engine was mounted laterally, the very same engine vibration would be less noticeable because it would be absorbed into the car mounts and frame in a forward and back motion.

Two things to think about, though:
1) Most, if not all, cars with transverse-mounted 4 cyls. are less smooth than ours...
2) Longitudinal mounting is used in most upscale cars (in part because upscale cars other than Audis tend to be based on RWD architectures). Now, most of those have more inherently balanced engines (V8s, I6s, etc) compared to our I4s, but still...

Has anybody compared our cars with the EA888 variant in the transverse A3 or Q3? I'd bet ours is smoother...
Old 03-05-2019, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave W

I agree that the longitudinal engine leads to more vibration getting through to the driver, all other things constant. I disagree with another poster that most transverse engine cars are not as smooth idling as ours are. My brother's Honda Fit is so much smoother idling than my A4 and last two A6's.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I agree that the longitudinal engine leads to more vibration getting through to the driver, all other things constant. I disagree with another poster that most transverse engine cars are not as smooth idling as ours are. My brother's Honda Fit is so much smoother idling than my A4 and last two A6's.
And, another point of view based on my experience: I've had a 2008 Honda CR-V and a 2016 Toyota Camry, both with transverse I4 engines, and definitely felt those engines more than I do with my 2018 A4. I felt the engine in the Camry less than the CR-V, but still more so than my A4. So, I guess my experience is similar to VM's.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Does anyone tried changing the engine mounts?
if you slightly accelerate in PARK, the vibrations disappear / are less noticeable, maybe @ ~ 1000 rpm

Quick Reply: Is subtle vibration in park normal?