A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Is subtle vibration in park normal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is subtle vibration in park normal?

Hey guys, I'm a first-time Audi owner and poster (used 2017 A4 2.0T quattro, 21k miles). The car drives mind-blowingly great. Fast, smooth and pure class. But when idling in 'PARK', I notice a SLIGHTLY more rumbly engine and shaky cabin than my previous vehicle (2015 Mazda 6, 184hp). The car drives and shifts buttery smooth at all speeds, it's only when idling in PARK (800rpm) that I notice a very subtle engine rumble and shake. Is this just the nature of the beast for the 250hp turbo engine? It's barely audible unless you really listen/feel for it. Absolutely no pedal shaking or mirrors shaking or anything. Am I just being paranoid? Can any other B9 Quattro owners confirm if this is normal?
Old 03-05-2019, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Honestly, you should feel absolutely nothing when in park and idling. I have some intake and exhaust noises in my car so I kind of hear things differently. But I was in my parents A4 over the weekend and when he was stopped at a light, the car was so quiet and smooth, it felt like an electric car(no he was not in start/stop mode).

First things I would check are when the oil was changed last(if it was done at the 20k service) and also make sure you are putting in highest octane gas you can. Not sure where you live but it could be 91, here on the East Coast we have 93.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Question, you say you get the vibration while idling in Park. Do you get the same vibration with the car stopped but with the car in gear, like in Reverse or Drive?
Old 03-05-2019, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by electric_warrior
Hey guys, I'm a first-time Audi owner and poster (used 2017 A4 2.0T quattro, 21k miles). The car drives mind-blowingly great. Fast, smooth and pure class. But when idling in 'PARK', I notice a SLIGHTLY more rumbly engine and shaky cabin than my previous vehicle (2015 Mazda 6, 184hp). The car drives and shifts buttery smooth at all speeds, it's only when idling in PARK (800rpm) that I notice a very subtle engine rumble and shake. Is this just the nature of the beast for the 250hp turbo engine? It's barely audible unless you really listen/feel for it. Absolutely no pedal shaking or mirrors shaking or anything. Am I just being paranoid? Can any other B9 Quattro owners confirm if this is normal?
I've noticed occasional vibrations on a warm engine in park.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bestcar17
I've noticed occasional vibrations on a warm engine in park.
Exact same here. It's normal.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dave W
Question, you say you get the vibration while idling in Park. Do you get the same vibration with the car stopped but with the car in gear, like in Reverse or Drive?
I ONLY notice it when sitting in park. It’s pretty subtle and I forget it’s shaking when I don’t concentrate on it. Idling in gear or reverse feels smooth and fine. When I rev the gas up 1200 rpm (in park) it smooths out perfectly, but when I let go I can feel a SLIGHT rumble in the seat when it settles to 800rpm in park only. I just got the car so I am super sensitive to any defects.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I ONLY notice it when sitting in park. It’s pretty subtle and I forget it’s shaking when I don’t concentrate on it. Idling in gear or reverse feels smooth and fine. When I rev the gas up 1200 rpm (in park) it smooths out perfectly, but when I let go I can feel a SLIGHT rumble in the seat when it settles to 800rpm in park only. I just got the car so I am super sensitive to any defects.
Ok, that makes more sense. Yes, I get the same feelings when Im sitting in my car before I move from a parking spot. But once in gear, yes, it smooths out considerably.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Yup. Like everyone said. It is normal. I’ve noticed it in my car too. When my car was stock, it was extremely silent (much quieter than any of my other cars). But I have an intake now and a Racechip and I do notice some slight engine noise, but again, not anywhere as much as the other cars. But yes. I think the vibration has something to do with the way the engine is mounted on the platform? No idea.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
Yup. Like everyone said. It is normal. I’ve noticed it in my car too. When my car was stock, it was extremely silent (much quieter than any of my other cars). But I have an intake now and a Racechip and I do notice some slight engine noise, but again, not anywhere as much as the other cars. But yes. I think the vibration has something to do with the way the engine is mounted on the platform? No idea.
Thanks for the input. It’s not the noise I’m noticing, but the subtle cabin vibration of the engine, only while idling in park at 800rpm. It’s totally silent, just a slight, steady physical rumble.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the input. It’s not the noise I’m noticing, but the subtle cabin vibration of the engine, only while idling in park at 800rpm. It’s totally silent, just a slight, steady physical rumble.
Yup, completely normal while in "Park", but smooths out once put in gear.

Quick Reply: Is subtle vibration in park normal?