A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Thanks! Things I learned here about my car

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Strife1013
That's what I am getting, I can't have it look like it does on the virtual cockpit or when I have a radio station selected? I don't want a massive screen with a blurred cover art behind the track info and skip/play section.

Also does wifi streaming audio from an iPhone vs using Bluetooth take a data plan or any of my free 6GB of data vs using Apple Carplay.

Looks like this

Want it to look something like this....
Unfortunately that is just the design that apple has chosen to stick to, I don't think either apple CarPlay or android auto show album art in the VC. The good news is that as CarPlay evolves and is update its likely the design will change and adapt which I think is a huge benefit. but in my experience the standard USB connection rarely pulls the album Artwork anyway or gets stuck on whatever was playing first.

Regardless of how your phone is connected if you are on the wifi it will pull from the data plan for anything that needs to be loaded on your phone (a picture, a song, an iMessage), I use Spotify and have all my playlists downloaded so that it isn't streaming or using data.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitchfin
AHH! Naturally its the most obvious answer, that icon honestly looks like a building with a tree in front.
Can't agree with you more. I was like... good to know our car is green!
Old 10-30-2016, 01:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another thing I found today is that Audi's nav system is a bit more fussy about parsing addresses than, say, Google Maps. Consider the following address, which you probably wouldn't type in to the touchpad but might be imported from a web site via your contacts or something:
Suite 9
123 Main Street
Anytown, NY
Audi's nav system doesn't seem to be able to understand that it should just ignore the "suite 9" part; the upshot is that it can't parse the street address at all and so it just takes you to downtown Anytown. There's not a lot of warning either, which is annoying.

The following doesn't seem to work either:
123 Main Street
Suite 9
Anytown, NY
But this formatting does seem to work:
123 Main Street #9
Anytown, NY
Annoying to have to massage address information into a format the car will understand. I guess maybe Germans are more rigorous in how they represent such information? Anyway, just a tip that may save someone else the annoyance I went through.
Old 10-30-2016, 03:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mitchfin
I don't think either apple CarPlay or android auto show album art in the VC.
I'm an independent iOS app developer, and just now submitted a request to Apple's Radar (bug reporting) system to have CarPlay do a better job with album artwork on its Now Playing screen. No promises, but Apple often addresses many of the issues that developers report using their "Radar" reporting system.

The good news is that CarPlay is actually built into iOS, so the way it appears on the MMI screen could easily be changed with an iOS update-- with no need to update the Audi MMI firmware.

Last edited by lifjoy; 10-30-2016 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-30-2016, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lifjoy
I'm an independent iOS app developer, and just now submitted a request to Apple's Radar (bug reporting) system to have CarPlay do a better job with album artwork on its Now Playing screen. No promises, but Apple often addresses many of the issues that developers report using their "Radar" reporting system.

The good news is that CarPlay is actually built into iOS, so the way it appears on the MMI screen could easily be changed with an iOS update-- with no need to update the Audi MMI firmware.
+1
Old 11-26-2016, 10:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I just realised that if I open the door while car is in gear, the electric parking brake comes on automatically.
Also my car has the lane keep assist and traffic sign recognition display in the VC activated from the factory but hasn't been activated via vcds/OBDeleven. I will try that soon when I get some free time.
My car also has the park distance control automatically coming on without having to press the park assist button on the center console when I drive into my garage or in parking lots with a light pole in front of the parking space or a high kerb.
The hands free trunk opening was a pleasant surprise.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Even though it was (or maybe not?) a commercial, I liked it. Made me feel good about my choice. Similar to how another video I saw a while back which showed the A6 Quattro vs BMW 5 series xDrive vs Mercedes Benz E class 4matic made me feel.

This was the Quattro vs xDrive vs 4matic video I was talking about

Last edited by VipinLJ; 11-27-2016 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

[QUOTE=VipinLJ;24886061]
Also my car has the lane keep assist and traffic sign recognition display in the VC activated from the factory but hasn't been activated via vcds/OBDeleven. I will try that soon when I get some free time.
/QUOTE]

Hmmnnn, I did not see that info in the VC, only in the HUD. Is that a function of the different package levels - Premium+ vs Prestige?
Old 11-28-2016, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

[QUOTE=bob m;24886461]
Originally Posted by VipinLJ
/QUOTE]

Hmmnnn, I did not see that info in the VC, only in the HUD. Is that a function of the different package levels - Premium+ vs Prestige?
In the first screen in the VC, scroll down using the left steering roller wheel. It's the last and second last screen.
Btw, mine is the Premium plus model, not Prestige.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I wasn't aware of the hands free trunk opening. I got it down! woo hoo

Quick Reply: Thanks! Things I learned here about my car