A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Is there any well working alternative to android auto

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there any well working alternative to android auto

I could not resist this deal for a new A4 - basic model pumped up with some option packages. No SIM, no navigation. I just wanted that TFSI quattro.
So here me go driving a latest german engineering again substituting my heavy modded VW TDi (give it to my older son to take care of it).

01/2016 built with MMI probably the very first stock something like 0061...I've got a schedule for next week visit to the steeler for possible software upgrade.
Challenging my patience with the android auto, what a joke.

I was using for a while the google maps on my cell phone but years ago they limit the offline maps (definitely not a best convenience as living in a close proximity to a very large city) I have switched to HERE also trying these days the WAZE.
When comparing these 3 the android auto can't get even close with that GUI. I will still need to clean it out - if possible - on my cellphone.

I have not find a thread confirming that there is a cure successfully overriding the connection between MMI and the AA.
I don't think my VCDS can do anything but anyway I would put some effort if there is any positive sign.

Anybody can chime in?
Old 11-19-2016, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long time fan of google, the guys are great in any means but,
it is a shame to come up to offer this very limited android auto, at all.
The bigger shame shall be to audi taking that android auto and putting it into they're cars.
I don't care how many other 25-28 brands grab this software, but this junk doesn't belong to audi, end of story.
My main focus is on the car and engine, commuting to work and back and wherever, and enjoying the audi style, the MMI=multimedia is just a plus for me. I really can't understand why I am so excited about this latest trend with facebook messaging, sms, emails, google music and like....
But, I want that GPS loading from a cell phone (as my case I don't have SIM card in the car because I didn't even knew about it, would I chose again depend of justifying the price tag), I want it user friendly to the most, accurate, and most important I want to control the thing not just to follow.
My 2c's to google and audi.
Otherwise I am a german engineering fan over 3 decades.