A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Throttle Lag

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 11:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is 4 different settings 1) Stock 2) City 3) Sport 4) Sport+. In each setting there is wiggle room with 6 different settings using the + or - button. The "City" setting at max + didnt feel that much difference but still better than stock. When I used the Sport+ setting, it was jumpy but would only use this if I wanted to let loose and have some fun. It just depends on how sensitive you want the throttle to be. I settled on the Sport setting as it feels like any other car i have owned with zero lag at all.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by IWH84
There is 4 different settings 1) Stock 2) City 3) Sport 4) Sport+. In each setting there is wiggle room with 6 different settings using the + or - button. The "City" setting at max + didnt feel that much difference but still better than stock. When I used the Sport+ setting, it was jumpy but would only use this if I wanted to let loose and have some fun. It just depends on how sensitive you want the throttle to be. I settled on the Sport setting as it feels like any other car i have owned with zero lag at all.
Thank you. That makes sense basically I wish my A4 and SQ5 had zero throttle lag like my A7. I know turbo lag also comes into play but eliminating throttle lag would help a bit.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Fantasiamon
The lag that everyone is feeling is a mix of the DSG transmission, the shift mapping and the turbo all together. There isn't a magic solution to this but driving in Sport mode will help with some of it as a quick solution. The next step would be a DSG Transmission Tune. While it won't fix all of the lag I found that it helped on my previous DSG TDI Jetta SportWagen quite a bit and am thinking of potentially getting the B9 Allroad tuned as well. I believe APR is the only current tune for the b9 and they also have a DSG tune to go along with it. I was Malone (TDI Tuner) Stage 1.5 w/DSG Tune on the Sportwagen. Changed the whole car.

Now i know that's not an answer for everyone unfortunately but like previous posters pointed out the tranny mapping from the factory is there to maximize fuel economy in D more than anything else.
For me, this seems like a safety issue. When I want to pass on a two lane road, I have to start quite far back from the car in front of me. The delay in the response of the engine and transmission is just not quick enough. The MT6 B7 I owned before this was much more responsive, even if I didn't downshift.

I'd very much like to get one of these gizmos.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Does anyone know if this is something that can be adjusted with obdeleven ?
Old 09-21-2018, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by legacystar
Does anyone know if this is something that can be adjusted with obdeleven ?
It cannot be adjusted by OBDEleven
Old 09-21-2018, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I was at a motorcycle dealership talking to a friend and a guy walked up to us and asked "Is that your Audi outside?" I immediately thought oh no! he hit it!

It turns out he said he did test driving for Audi and asked me how I was liking it.

I told him how much I liked it and everything but made it a point to say how bad that built in lag was. I hated it! I told him it ruined the driving experience. He just nodded his head probably knowing he thought the same thing and the decision to put it in there came from well over his head.

I've almost gotten into accidents pulling into traffic and having it take 2 seconds to do anything. I try to remember to go to "S" mode when those occasions come up. I've also had the damn car shut off just when I was going to pull into traffic too. Very dangerous!

I just don't know if I can justify $350 to get the pedal box.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I think there’s nothing one can do about the throttle lag except live with it. Pedal boxes might reduce it but it’s still there. Of all my cars, my A7 has the best throttle response and I wish the other two Audis had the same throttle response as the A7.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
I think there’s nothing one can do about the throttle lag except live with it. Pedal boxes might reduce it but it’s still there. Of all my cars, my A7 has the best throttle response and I wish the other two Audis had the same throttle response as the A7.
What about the TCU+ transmission tune that DT power just put out? Anyone here try it out?
Old 09-24-2018, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by LaZyB0ne
What about the TCU+ transmission tune that DT power just put out? Anyone here try it out?
I believe that’s only for the S4? And again, that won’t change lag either. I think an ECU remap dos though (like APR and Revo)?
Old 09-24-2018, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ

I believe that’s only for the S4? And again, that won’t change lag either. I think an ECU remap dos though (like APR and Revo)?
I thought so too, but I messaged Aaron@DTP and he said he has it available for A4 as well.

Yeah I know it won't eliminate it but there are things you can do that will help, even outside a full ecu tune.

This sounds like it will help some too.

Here is what Aaron said about it on the zine:
"The start to full throttle lag is reduced but not eliminated. That is not really 100% a transmission thing though. That is mitigated by launching the car or quickly rolling into the throttle rather than slamming your foot to the floor."

Quick Reply: Throttle Lag