A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Tire and Wheel protection a waste of money?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 01:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire and Wheel protection a waste of money?

When I was buying the car, I got roped into buying the tire and wheel protection for about $2k. Wondering if anyone else has it and has used it or if I got totally ripped off.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Alex, are the roads where you drive in perfect condition? Defect-free?
Old 06-29-2018, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also worth asking yourself is, "How much money have I spent repairing or replacing damaged tires and wheels in the past?"

For me, in the last 11 years I've spent $125 on fixing one bent aluminum wheel, and $11 to replace one damaged tire (thanks, Costco road hazard warranty!). Barring a major change in circumstance (road maintenance, location, my own driving skill, etc.), tire and wheel protection will never make sense for me.

My sister, who drives the very same roads, had had to replace 3 tires and 1 wheel in the last year alone. She'd get rather more value out of a protection package.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Both good points. It's just $2000 for something I might use once or twice, but tire replacement through Audi covers hazards for two years anyway. I'm more upset by the saleswoman who told me it included wear and tear replacement and didn't mention that it is a maximum of 4 tires and wheels over the term.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by alexdsheff
When I was buying the car, I got roped into buying the tire and wheel protection for about $2k. Wondering if anyone else has it and has used it or if I got totally ripped off.
When I bought my previous B8 Audi, I let the sales manager talk me into getting wheel protection. Back then, it cost $800. But after a couple of days went by, I had buyer's remorse.

Well, one day a couple of weeks later I was reading my contract, and in tiny print on the very bottom of the back of the contract, it said I could cancel the contract within 30 days. So I hopped in my car, drove back to the dealership, and told the sales manager to cancel the wheel-protection plan. He was not too happy, to say the least. He told me -- as if he was trying to discourage me -- that I wouldn't get the money back directly; it would applied to reducing my car payments. I thought, who cares? ... as long as I'm getting it back.

But much to my surprise, I received a check for the $800 in the mail.

If I was you, I would take that $2,000 and deposit it in an interest-bearing savings account. In the unlikely event that you damage a wheel or tire, you can withdraw the money you need. By the time you trade your car in, you'll probably still have some -- if not all -- of the money left.

Last edited by A4Driver; 06-29-2018 at 05:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Aviator6 (08-06-2021)
Old 06-30-2018, 02:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Driver

If I was you, I would take that $2,000 and deposit it in an interest-bearing savings account. In the unlikely event that you damage a wheel or tire, you can withdraw the money you need. By the time you trade your car in, you'll probably still have some -- if not all -- of the money left.
Agree, save your money.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good points everyone, I'm going to call back and have them cancel it. I'm also going to speak to the sales manager about how dishonest their business manager is.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by alexdsheff
Good points everyone, I'm going to call back and have them cancel it. I'm also going to speak to the sales manager about how dishonest their business manager is.
This is business as usual. When I was buying my BMW, even though I was paying cash, I had to spend 1/2 hour signing paperwork declining all kinds of add-ons (wheel & tire protection, paint protection, dent removal, extended warranty, ...), each one prefaced by a fear-based sales pitch. A year later and I bought a 2nd car from the same dealership. By this time the finance guy knew me and the signing went a lot quicker because there was no sales pitch.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Well you are lucky to be in the 30-day cancellation period (hopefully it is on your contact). That seems like a ridiculous amount of money for that coverage. I've never damaged a wheel in my entire life. My last car went 3 years with one nail in its tire which was plugged. However, it also depends on where you drive - horrible roads or a lot of construction workers leaving crap on the ground.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could use the $2K to buy a second set of wheels and tires for summer or winter use rather than getting a warranty.

Quick Reply: Tire and Wheel protection a waste of money?