A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Torsen or Ultra AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 06:39 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaToSky
At this point, if Ultra or slush box become my only options, I will not be paying the Audi premium for my next vehicle.... sorry for the rant.
Slush box? Wait... you can get a torque converter automatic in an A4 now?? Where can I trade in my car and its annoyingly jerky in low-speed traffic DSG non-slushy dual-clutch thing?
Old 05-20-2018, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
Slush box? Wait... you can get a torque converter automatic in an A4 now??..
S4 or (if it's available to you) A4 3.0TDI (272) quattro. These will avoid QwU but can not be combined with S-tronic.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
Slush box? Wait... you can get a torque converter automatic in an A4 now?? Where can I trade in my car and its annoyingly jerky in low-speed traffic DSG non-slushy dual-clutch thing?
I would like to learn more about your experience as my B8 is scheduled for replacement in the 2020 model year. I was hoping to get a DSG if the T3 center differential is still available in that configuration. I test drove an A5 B9 EA 888 Gen 3 with the DSG in manual mode for a day, in traffic and on the freeway. I liked it. Other than repeated disengaging the non existent clutch with my left foot, I did not have any irritations with it. Are you driving it in automated mode?
Old 05-21-2018, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I would like to learn more about your experience as my B8 is scheduled for replacement in the 2020 model year. I was hoping to get a DSG if the T3 center differential is still available in that configuration. I test drove an A5 B9 EA 888 Gen 3 with the DSG in manual mode for a day, in traffic and on the freeway. I liked it. Other than repeated disengaging the non existent clutch with my left foot, I did not have any irritations with it. Are you driving it in automated mode?
If you've driven manual transmissions in the past, I don't think you'll have any issues. Smooth throttle input is key to smooth driving. It's key on the track, and it's key during daily driving. A manual transmission pretty much conditions one to operate the throttle smoothly. It seems that folks complaining about jerkiness of the DSG, must have never driven a manual transmission or use the throttle like an on/off switch. A torque converter is more forgiving to bad driving habits.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:20 AM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yup, I'm driving it in automated mode. Other than using the paddle shifters a few times to downshift while going down big hills and experimenting a little with 'S' in the transmission, I've always run my car in the default 'auto' ADS mode and in the "D" position.

My view would be - if you are driving it in a more 'suburban' environment, it's great.

Where it is not so great is in the hell of city traffic, in environments where your average speed is 6-8km/h and where you start moving, move forward 2-3 car lengths, stop again, etc. Then it can get jerky. Another place where it gets jerky is very low speed driving on divided highways with traffic jam assist on.

A key realization about dual-clutch transmissions is that to be happy, they depend on the 'other' clutch having the correct gear pre-selected. That happens much less frequently in frequent stopping environments. I don't have the current gear display enabled, but it wouldn't surprise me if sometimes you have the car in 3rd, other clutch has 4th ready to go, you slow down, and it needs 1st/2nd to get moving again. Oops.

One other point that I think is quite different from a MT car or from older German "automatic" cars - in 'D' mode, the B9 DSG has gearing more like a domestic truck. Engine will be at 1400ish RPM at 100km/h on the highway in 7th. It will essentially never go above 1800RPM except under seriousish acceleration. What that means is that a lot of gears are being aggressively upshifted to keep the RPMs that low...

I absolutely love the engine in the B9, but I'd really like to try that engine with a torque converter auto and see how it compares. (Yes, I know, I can find that in an A6... though given the A6's extra weight that might not be a fair comparison)
Old 05-21-2018, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you want a slushbox, you have to get an S4. I drove one and loved the seats but hated the hole they put in the muffler, and it felt a bit slower around town.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Just a fraction of a second BUT:

Originally Posted by adg44
That is a typical question, and you are correct that the system can't predict if you are on a perfectly smooth, dry road and run through a wet patch, but it engages in under 250ms without reducing any power, so it truly is a fraction of a second. You are also correct that it looks 500ms in the future based on throttle input, steering angle, etc.

However, back to the question at hand, if you are on rough terrain, the system knows this and would have proactively engaged quattro already. Given that on rough terrain the system would likely always be engaged, there was no reason not to permanently engage it in offroad mode. And as stated above, it's not just traction that the system is looking at, it's every aspect of your drive and how you are driving. Then on the next key cycle (after the door has been opened and closed), it resets and starts all over again.

Hope this helps.
A little arithmetic: At 100 kmh or 65 mph the speed is 27.7 meters per second or 88 feet per second. Just a fraction of a second, 250 milliseconds or 0.25 seconds means the vehicle has traveled 6.94 meters or 22 feet. And you want to travel that far before it "engages". Hope you life insurance is all paid up. I won't bore you by comparing the length of your contact patch to these distances. The multiples are very scary to me.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Driving Style and Transmission Choice

Originally Posted by VM
Yup, I'm driving it in automated mode. Other than using the paddle shifters a few times to downshift while going down big hills and experimenting a little with 'S' in the transmission, I've always run my car in the default 'auto' ADS mode and in the "D" position.

My view would be - if you are driving it in a more 'suburban' environment, it's great.

Where it is not so great is in the hell of city traffic, in environments where your average speed is 6-8km/h and where you start moving, move forward 2-3 car lengths, stop again, etc. Then it can get jerky. Another place where it gets jerky is very low speed driving on divided highways with traffic jam assist on.

A key realization about dual-clutch transmissions is that to be happy, they depend on the 'other' clutch having the correct gear pre-selected. That happens much less frequently in frequent stopping environments. I don't have the current gear display enabled, but it wouldn't surprise me if sometimes you have the car in 3rd, other clutch has 4th ready to go, you slow down, and it needs 1st/2nd to get moving again. Oops.

One other point that I think is quite different from a MT car or from older German "automatic" cars - in 'D' mode, the B9 DSG has gearing more like a domestic truck. Engine will be at 1400ish RPM at 100km/h on the highway in 7th. It will essentially never go above 1800RPM except under seriousish acceleration. What that means is that a lot of gears are being aggressively upshifted to keep the RPMs that low...

I absolutely love the engine in the B9, but I'd really like to try that engine with a torque converter auto and see how it compares. (Yes, I know, I can find that in an A6... though given the A6's extra weight that might not be a fair comparison)
I think we come from different driving ethos. My father built and raced, so you know how it goes even though I could not hold a wrench correctly for years.

Assuming that your engine is EA 888 other than Gen3 B that pattern of traffic may kill your valves. At the time I choosing my B8, I was standing in line at service to learn when the heads off cleaning would be needed. The guy in front of me was settling a 4K plus bill for that in the very S4 I was considering. End of that idea.

If you stay in lug mode, bad things may happen. I do a nasty morning and evening commute but in manual mode, the brake pedal still disengaged the clutch, so at least I was up and down from idle to 2k or a bit more revs before back down to idle. I have seen way to many ring jobs to use that auto stop/start. Sure, saves gas but does not do anything that I can see for the life cycle carbon foot print of the vehicle. What is the foot print of a starter? Don't know but I am assuming that it is not small.

Once I went off warranty, gasoline is the least expensive bill for my vehicle. One service, properly done is at least 2/3 my annual gas bill.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:00 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think we come from different driving ethos. My father built and raced, so you know how it goes even though I could not hold a wrench correctly for years.

Assuming that your engine is EA 888 other than Gen3 B that pattern of traffic may kill your valves. At the time I choosing my B8, I was standing in line at service to learn when the heads off cleaning would be needed. The guy in front of me was settling a 4K plus bill for that in the very S4 I was considering. End of that idea.

If you stay in lug mode, bad things may happen. I do a nasty morning and evening commute but in manual mode, the brake pedal still disengaged the clutch, so at least I was up and down from idle to 2k or a bit more revs before back down to idle. I have seen way to many ring jobs to use that auto stop/start. Sure, saves gas but does not do anything that I can see for the life cycle carbon foot print of the vehicle. What is the foot print of a starter? Don't know but I am assuming that it is not small.

Once I went off warranty, gasoline is the least expensive bill for my vehicle. One service, properly done is at least 2/3 my annual gas bill.
Well... I guess this is why my car is leased? I'm sure absurd stop and go traffic and avg 8 km/h speeds is not great for a car... but... there's nothing I can do about the disastrous traffic conditions in this town - this is what happens when for 40 years, this place has been governed by ideologues who believe only in transit and cycling and that the ONLY "improvement" to be made to road infrastructure is to reallocate (the already insufficient) space to transit or cycling. From the politicians' point of view, if the traffic patterns destroy engines, that's probably well-deserved punishment for not taking transit.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by VM
Well... I guess this is why my car is leased? I'm sure absurd stop and go traffic and avg 8 km/h speeds is not great for a car... but... there's nothing I can do about the disastrous traffic conditions in this town - this is what happens when for 40 years, this place has been governed by ideologues who believe only in transit and cycling and that the ONLY "improvement" to be made to road infrastructure is to reallocate (the already insufficient) space to transit or cycling. From the politicians' point of view, if the traffic patterns destroy engines, that's probably well-deserved punishment for not taking transit.
Thank you for further warming my already warm west coast heart! I left Hog Town when Bob Rae was re-elected! Anytime you want to ask about housing here, feel free to do so. I am guessing it will be a wash, and we can actually get out of town to drive as if we are out of town!