A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

UK: Battery replacement under extended used warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK: Battery replacement under extended used warranty?

Hi there, I have looked for the answer to this specific scenario but can't find it so any help appreciated.

I bought an A4 Avant 268 3L diesel a couple of months ago, 24k on the clock and 66 plate. It has an extended Audi warranty until July 2021.

I'm having problems with the battery , on two occasions I have been left stranded because it won't start. Including yesterday after I had driven 120 miles up the motorway and then stopped at services ( I had to beg strangers for a jump start )

I've read there are issues with these batteries and people have had them changed under (normal) warranty.

Audi have suggested I come in to have the issue diagnosed, which involves driving miles leaving it for the day with no courtesy car available and pay £60 for an inspection to potentially tell me the battery is not covered and then they'll change be x00s to replace the battery sure.

Alternatively, I could go Halfords and have them swap out the battery on the spot for significantly less. But then will that void my extended warranty?

It already feels like this will be painful. What would you guys do?

thanks for any thoughts
Old 12-07-2020, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Karlos1544
Hi there, I have looked for the answer to this specific scenario but can't find it so any help appreciated.

I bought an A4 Avant 268 3L diesel a couple of months ago, 24k on the clock and 66 plate. It has an extended Audi warranty until July 2021.

I'm having problems with the battery , on two occasions I have been left stranded because it won't start. Including yesterday after I had driven 120 miles up the motorway and then stopped at services ( I had to beg strangers for a jump start )

I've read there are issues with these batteries and people have had them changed under (normal) warranty.

Audi have suggested I come in to have the issue diagnosed, which involves driving miles leaving it for the day with no courtesy car available and pay £60 for an inspection to potentially tell me the battery is not covered and then they'll change be x00s to replace the battery sure.

Alternatively, I could go Halfords and have them swap out the battery on the spot for significantly less. But then will that void my extended warranty?

It already feels like this will be painful. What would you guys do?

thanks for any thoughts
Hi would be interesting to hear how you get on as I am in the same situation, I bought a 67 plate 3L TDI a week ago, and after a 30 mins journey yesterday when returning to the car it wouldn't start giving a message about child locks, after phoning Audi assist they turned up and boosted the battery saying that it was well below normal levels and this is quite common in cars this age due to the stop/start technology
Luckily it is due in my local service centre today to have a faulty wing mirror or replaced so on arrival this morning i have raised the issue with dealer, he was very helpful and had no qualms about changing the battery under warranty if the battery life was low, otherwise he was talking about trickle charge over night to rejuvenate it.
I will be looking for a replacement battery and for sure will expect it replaced under warranty. I'm not sure why you would have to pay,just book it in under warranty,
I will update later when I find out how they intend to proceed.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Retrac1705
Hi would be interesting to hear how you get on as I am in the same situation, I bought a 67 plate 3L TDI a week ago, and after a 30 mins journey yesterday when returning to the car it wouldn't start giving a message about child locks, after phoning Audi assist they turned up and boosted the battery saying that it was well below normal levels and this is quite common in cars this age due to the stop/start technology
Luckily it is due in my local service centre today to have a faulty wing mirror or replaced so on arrival this morning i have raised the issue with dealer, he was very helpful and had no qualms about changing the battery under warranty if the battery life was low, otherwise he was talking about trickle charge over night to rejuvenate it.
I will be looking for a replacement battery and for sure will expect it replaced under warranty. I'm not sure why you would have to pay,just book it in under warranty,
I will update later when I find out how they intend to proceed.
Yes please keep me posted and thank you. I will do the same.

Can I ask, are you referring to the extended Audi warranty aswell or are you still under the standard 3y?
Old 12-08-2020, 01:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Karlos1544
Yes please keep me posted and thank you. I will do the same.

Can I ask, are you referring to the extended Audi warranty aswell or are you still under the standard 3y?
12 month Extended Audi warranty...they have told me there is no problem with the battery but with the rear child locks which run off the battery, I'm not quite sure on this and am expecting to need Audi Assist again at some point.
Old 12-12-2020, 12:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Retrac1705
12 month Extended Audi warranty...they have told me there is no problem with the battery but with the rear child locks which run off the battery, I'm not quite sure on this and am expecting to need Audi Assist again at some point.
Just looping back on this. Picked up the car yesterday after they identified the battery as being 60% charged when it arrived ( I drove 500 miles last Sunday) so that's a problem. They said the battery gets to a point where the car cannot charge itself and it has to be put on a trickle charger for it to return to 100%. So that's what they did and I am to monitor it.
like you and your suspicions about the child locks, I am sceptical and expect to be pleasing with strangers for a jump start again before long.
You can't beat the feeling of popping the hood to reveal your fancy V6 3l engine with all its bells and whistles after you ve begged a 50 yr old French couple for a jump from their 20 year old Citroen
The charge / inspection etc all paid for under the extended warranty mercifully.