A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Weird noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Southgate Audi. Are you based in Edmonton TECHGRL? I am from YEG too!
Old 01-21-2018, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Congrats and rectifying your weird noise issue

Congrats TECHGRL, thanks fire reporting back to the forum to share your story. Hopefully the noise doesn't come back. Happy Motoring!
Old 01-25-2018, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default my 2003 audi a4 1.8t quattro makes this noise

my 2003 audi a4 1.8t quattro is making this noise, i don't know what it could be. it stops after 20 mins of warming up but if i turn it off and back on, it will still make the noise, i attached a video to see if anyone could recognize the sound.
Does anyone know what’s wrong ??

I changed out all spark plugs and coils.
I put in a new Mass air flow sensor.
I put in a new camshaft sensor.
I always put a new crank shaft sensor.

I don’t know what it could be, did anyone else run into this problem? heres the link:
Old 02-20-2018, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default I have both sounds...

After reading through this thread, I can confidently say that I have both the transmission pump noise and the rear differential noise highlighted in the thread. Although it's somewhat annoying to hear these when I'm not listening to music, I'm wondering if they are actually a problem?
I guess what I'm asking is this: Do you guys think it's riskier leaving it alone or having Audi service mess with things? If these sounds are indicative of something that will worsen and eventually cause issues beyond just noise, I'll have the work done. On the other hand, we all know that things are rarely put back together as tight as the factory, and I don't want service to be dismantling things for chasing noises if they aren't actually a problem.
Any thoughts?
Old 02-24-2018, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by B9A4
After reading through this thread, I can confidently say that I have both the transmission pump noise and the rear differential noise highlighted in the thread. Although it's somewhat annoying to hear these when I'm not listening to music, I'm wondering if they are actually a problem?
I guess what I'm asking is this: Do you guys think it's riskier leaving it alone or having Audi service mess with things? If these sounds are indicative of something that will worsen and eventually cause issues beyond just noise, I'll have the work done. On the other hand, we all know that things are rarely put back together as tight as the factory, and I don't want service to be dismantling things for chasing noises if they aren't actually a problem.
Any thoughts?
Hi B9A4 and Techgrl

I know what you are saying, I feel the same way to a point. I did take my car in with a copy of Techgrl's results and a clear recording of the noise which they said they would also send to Audi Germany to listen to. Unfortunately, all they could do was to 'recalibrate' the mechatronics and run some diagnostics from the computer and no fault was found. They recon they could not hear the noise when the car was run on the hoist. Unfortunately I still have the damn noise now evident when down shifting from 3rd to 2nd and to 1st and when upshifting from 2nd to 3rd although quieter in this direction. BUT....they lent me a brand new Q5 for the day while they looked at mine (the dealer did take me very seriously)... and guess what.....it had the same noise but MUCH softer than my B9A4. Now I just don't know what to think. Is it a fault or just a thing that some Audis do??? I hate having to put the radio on just to stop me hearing it.

Cheers
AVSS01
Old 02-28-2018, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Is this the sound you guys are hearing:
I got this off youtube. I have this issue and it drives me CRAZY!!
Old 02-28-2018, 11:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by StuartWes
Is this the sound you guys are hearing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkHN2PN8WrE
I got this off youtube. I have this issue and it drives me CRAZY!!
Hi StuartWes

Yikes! Nothing that bad, but yes kind of the same. That is constant almost like diff noise but it does have that hydrolic motor like pitch which is similar to my noise. Mine lasts only a few seconds as the transmission changes through the low gears in both directions...like an actuator or pump but with a definite start and stop not lingering on like in that video. Right at the top of this thread is a sample of the noise but you have to listen carefully. Later tonight I will post again with the optomised recording I gave the dealer for my car.

cheers

avss01
Old 03-01-2018, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by avss01

Hi StuartWes

Yikes! Nothing that bad, but yes kind of the same. That is constant almost like diff noise but it does have that hydrolic motor like pitch which is similar to my noise. Mine lasts only a few seconds as the transmission changes through the low gears in both directions...like an actuator or pump but with a definite start and stop not lingering on like in that video. Right at the top of this thread is a sample of the noise but you have to listen carefully. Later tonight I will post again with the optomised recording I gave the dealer for my car.

cheers

avss01
HI again. Attached here is the noise (edited so that it repeats for clarity). So, this noise happens every time my transmission downshifts from around 3rd to 2nd and then to 1st. For example, up the main drive of my work place are several big speed bumps, so it is slow down and go, slow down and go for several bumps.....and I hear this noise at every one. Similarly when slowing to a stop at lights, or my driveway etc. I also hear it to a lesser extent when going from 1st to 2nd. As I said, even the Q5 they lent me for the day had the noise but much much softer than in my car. Due to the low frequency rumble in the car as the noise was recorded, it tended to be masked out to a level much lower than you actually hear in the cabin so I simply ran the file through a low frequency cut filter to make it easier for the mechanics to identify. What you hear in the recording is one instant in time illustrating the noise and then repeated so it can clearly be heard. Be assured though that the noise you hear is not exaggerated or equalised and is exactly the noise I have.
Attached Files
File Type: wav
AUDI.wav (3.52 MB, 401 views)
Old 03-01-2018, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by avss01
HI again. Attached here is the noise (edited so that it repeats for clarity). So, this noise happens every time my transmission downshifts from around 3rd to 2nd and then to 1st. For example, up the main drive of my work place are several big speed bumps, so it is slow down and go, slow down and go for several bumps.....and I hear this noise at every one. Similarly when slowing to a stop at lights, or my driveway etc. I also hear it to a lesser extent when going from 1st to 2nd. As I said, even the Q5 they lent me for the day had the noise but much much softer than in my car. Due to the low frequency rumble in the car as the noise was recorded, it tended to be masked out to a level much lower than you actually hear in the cabin so I simply ran the file through a low frequency cut filter to make it easier for the mechanics to identify. What you hear in the recording is one instant in time illustrating the noise and then repeated so it can clearly be heard. Be assured though that the noise you hear is not exaggerated or equalised and is exactly the noise I have.
Thank you for that. Mine doesn't happen all the time but when it does, it drives me nuts. I'm due for my first oil change next month and I'll go to the dealer armed with all of this info.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by StuartWes
Thank you for that. Mine doesn't happen all the time but when it does, it drives me nuts. I'm due for my first oil change next month and I'll go to the dealer armed with all of this info.
You're welcome. I hope you have better luck getting to the bottom of it than I did. I assume your noise is similar to mine?? Please report back if you have any success getting it sorted.

Regards
avss01

Quick Reply: Weird noise