A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Wheel/Tire noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wheel/Tire noise

Since I purchased the car, I’ve noticed a cyclic noise coming from the wheel (or wheels — hard to tell what direction it’s coming from) that gets faster as the car speeds up. It is a bit more pronounced when taking corners at lower speeds. It has me worried as on an old car of mine a similar noise ended up being a bad wheel bearing. Do others have this noise? Any tips on how to diagnose this and tell if it’s a problem? The car has the sport package and has 18 inch wheels with summer tires. In general the tire noise in this car is also louder than I'm used to but this may just be a result of the cabin being quieter.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted about a very similar issue, may be the same one as a matter of fact, in this forum about a week ago. I have some sort of humming that also sounds like tire noise coming from my B9 A4. The dealership has had the car for about 15 days now over two service visits and are unable to diagnose the issue. The latest word I had is that Audi said it was normal, but I don't agree. The humming/tire noise is very pronounced on my car and unlike anything I've ever heard in any other car I've ever driven, much less a $50k A4.

Dealer said my bearings were fine, they also swapped tires off another car and put them on my car and still got the same noise. I have the 19 inch sport wheels with OEM Hankook tires.

Headed to the dealer this morning as a matter of fact to drive a Q5 as a possible replacement as I told them I am not satisfied and do not want the vehicle back if it's making this noise. Only had it for a month now and its only got about 1200 miles on it.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just bought my Audi A4 B9 2.0TDI sport and I have the exact same issue. I went to local service shop and they told me that this is totally normal. It sounds like there is a sand inside the wheel bearing or the breaking pad is slightly touching the disc. I hear this sound from front-left side. I don't think this is normal ....
Old 09-05-2021, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stayk0v
I just bought my Audi A4 B9 2.0TDI sport and I have the exact same issue. I went to local service shop and they told me that this is totally normal. It sounds like there is a sand inside the wheel bearing or the breaking pad is slightly touching the disc. I hear this sound from front-left side. I don't think this is normal ....
Hello,

I am having the same exact issue on a 2018 A4 Quattro with that I bought just last week with 70K miles. Did you get your issue resolved/fixed? Was it the wheel bearing?
Old 09-05-2021, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by shadow-fax
Hello,

I am having the same exact issue on a 2018 A4 Quattro with that I bought just last week with 70K miles. Did you get your issue resolved/fixed? Was it the wheel bearing?
Yes I resolved my issue. It was from the cardan shaft. The sound was comming from the middle of the car. You can diagnose it by lifting the car up on stand with person in it and drive it while in the air. This will make the cardan shaft to rotate so you will be able to hear the noice if you have the same problem as me. I was thinking that it was comming from the wheels bu I was wrong. Good luck with it
Old 11-27-2021, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

How much did that fix cost you? My A4 is doing the same thing now.
Old 11-28-2021, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I feel like I have a similar issue and thought it was my tires. Replaced the tires - still have a little noise, although sometimes i think it could be the tires. I had my cardan shaft replaced when the car had 15K miles. 43k now - I hope it’s not the shaft…
Old 11-28-2021, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by vkamnyev
I feel like I have a similar issue and thought it was my tires. Replaced the tires - still have a little noise, although sometimes i think it could be the tires. I had my cardan shaft replaced when the car had 15K miles. 43k now - I hope it’s not the shaft…
My sound is coming from the front right not really the center as they described so maybe a cv axle or actually a wheel bearing? I’m not sure, going to the dealership in the next week.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 288 Likes on 233 Posts

When dropping your car off suggest, they use a stethoscope to listen for noise while running the car on the hoist - that's how my dealer techs confirmed noise in both front bearings that got replaced under CPO warranty.
Old 11-29-2021, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Douglas D.
How much did that fix cost you? My A4 is doing the same thing now.
See this post: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-.../#post25630424

Quick Reply: Wheel/Tire noise