A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
Yes, there is a difference in width, 255mm is 10mm wider than 245mm

Or just under 2/5th of an inch or thereabouts in the old lingo (0.39 inch in hybrid). Where I grew up, the place changed from imperial to metric halfway through my school years. I still get confused.

There will also be a difference in sidewall height, which will be 35% of 10mm, or an additional 3.5mm taller than a 245mm wide tyre. Good reason right here why the universal tyre measurement for width is metric, not imperial

What I have noticed with tyres is that the actual measured width is pretty notional, and seems to vary a lot amongst brands, and even different models within brands. Some have hard shoulder profiles, some have rounded shoulder profiles

But I think the question was not whether there is a difference in width, but whether there will be any meaningful difference in handling by using a 255mm wide tyre rather than a 245mm.
Agreed. I think the 255's would likely handle better and improve the impact resistance on rough roads at the same time. I am not a fan of very low aspect ratio tires (45 is the lowest I really like), so to me any additional sidewall height would be a good thing for daily driving. This being said, i would get a narrower winter tire, probably 17". Past experience has taught me that icy ridges left by plowing can deflect wider tires. Also, wider tires tend to have a flotation effect and can rise up on packed snow and ice rather than grasp or break through.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting a good deal in costco for Michelin X ICE 3- sale starting Oct 08 2018. I am planning to go with 245 35 18 on my existing 19" wheel. All in price $1215.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vglobalhuman
I am getting a good deal in costco for Michelin X ICE 3- sale starting Oct 08 2018. I am planning to go with 245 35 18 on my existing 19" wheel. All in price $1215.
I'm also in Toronto.

​​​​​​Performance wise you will notice a downgrade with the Xice3. It really comes down to the tire you purchase. Xice3 is meant for deep snow. It's not a performance snow tire. If you want a performance sport winter tire then you need something like the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 which I have.

​​​​it comes down to what you want from your tire. In Toronto the street usually always get cleared and I never found myself in deep snow reason why I went with PA4 which in my opinion one of the best winter tires out there.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:29 AM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by R8ready
I'm also in Toronto.

​​​​​​Performance wise you will notice a downgrade with the Xice3. It really comes down to the tire you purchase. Xice3 is meant for deep snow. It's not a performance snow tire. If you want a performance sport winter tire then you need something like the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 which I have.

​​​​it comes down to what you want from your tire. In Toronto the street usually always get cleared and I never found myself in deep snow reason why I went with PA4 which in my opinion one of the best winter tires out there.
When I looked at tires, the big rivalry was between the Blizzak... WS... 80? and the X-Ice Xi3. The Blizzak was more for deep snow, the X-Ice Xi3 more for ice. Hence one reason I picked the Xi3 (also in Toronto).

I've always considered a "performance sport winter tire" to be an oxymoron, though...
Old 09-23-2018, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm also in Toronto.

Thanks, Whats your rim size and tire size? Also, Can i use the 18" tires in 19 wheels?
Old 09-23-2018, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts

Thanks, Whats your rim size and tire size? Also, Can i use the 18" tires in 19 wheels?
Abolutely not. 18” tires require 18” wheels.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6

Abolutely not. 18” tires require 18” wheels.
I dont know, why costco yesterday confirmed i need not have different wheel, they can mount on my existing wheel R19. Infact i asked them twice and he shown his system saying its possible.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

You need 18" tire for 18" rim.

I went with 19" rims for winter because I didn't want to take away the look of the car. For Toronto roads I don't think going 19 over 18 will make such a huge difference. It comes down to the quality of the tire in my opinion.

But the smaller rim/winter tire you go with the better winter performance you will get from your tires. How much more is to be determined lol

I ran 19" and had no issues.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I dont know, why costco yesterday confirmed i need not have different wheel, they can mount on my existing wheel R19. Infact i asked them twice and he shown his system saying its possible.
I think what he meant was you don't need to buy separate rims. They will take off your summer tires and mount the winter tires on.

Are you sure you have 19" rims and not 18"?

Old 09-23-2018, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You need 18" tire for 18" rim.

I went with 19" rims for winter because I didn't want to take away the look of the car. For Toronto roads I don't think going 19 over 18 will make such a huge difference. It comes down to the quality of the tire in my opinion.

But the smaller rim/winter tire you go with the better winter performance you will get from your tires. How much more is to be determined lol

I ran 19" and had no issues.
-----
Its really difficult for me being new to such vehicles and gladly we have forums like this to get experience from first hand owners.
If that's the case of having smaller tires (i dont do performance driving in winter with my commute of daily 100kms) I am thinking of taking audi recommended winter package size (but after market) i.e 225 15 17 with Michelin X ice 3 and 17 replica wheels...

Quick Reply: Winter tires