A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

convertible top rear latch wont manually open

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default convertible top rear latch wont manually open

I have had this a4 b6 3.0 convertible for 3 years, and I have been through the top not working and done resets, found a broken sensor and fixed that and the top worked fine for the last 2 years. I went to take the top down about a 4 weeks ago and It wouldn't come down. I thought I would cycle it, but I can't get the rear deck lid to unlatch, again I have done this and used the tool a few times. But now it seems like something is hitting something when I turn it and its keeping it from opening. I had a friend who is a mechanic look at it, scan codes and he can't find anything wrong... It def feels like its hitting a metal wall when I turn the red handled key (properly inserted) it turns about 45 degrees and feels like it hits a wall...

Sorry to repeat what I am trying to say, but I really need help and I am beating my head against the wall trying to figure this out.

key on, hold top down button windows roll down and then the top light starts to blink on the dash.

We have removed the motor, checked and cleaned the comm and brushes have alot of life left. Reservoir is fine on fluid too. it doesn't seem to be getting any signal to take the top down.

Its just really wierd that the release won't work, we took about half the trunk apart to try to get to it, but it seems we need the deck lid released to get everything removed from the luggage tray to fully see the system, so we are stuck and can't move any further....

Any suggestions my wife loves her car, and I am getting frustrated and ready to blow it up, lol
Old 12-02-2016, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

There is another area that the red handled release key needs to reset. If you open to the arm rest in the back seat and look to the top you will find where the key needs to go.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Chanda M Nestel
There is another area that the red handled release key needs to reset. If you open to the arm rest in the back seat and look to the top you will find where the key needs to go.
hi I've been trying for days my lid is open but the key won't go in or stay in when it did it would turn it was like it was jammed, I know how to insert key properly but now it's like when I try n put it in it just keeps on turning around n when it feels like it's half locked I turn the handle yo lock it in place it just falls out, I think the lock may be worn away and that's why the key won't even stay in position, if this is the case what are my options as I don't know nothing about cars n banginging mh head of the wall the wife's going mental fit wasting money on a car Please help or give advice many thanks Craig
Old 02-13-2020, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Mike did you ever locate the issue? Same problem - key wont open the rear. It turns, perhaps a quarter turn but no latch release!
Old 05-19-2020, 11:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi Jon did you ever fix your issue?

My rear roof cover wouldn't close on the passenger side so I made the mistake of closing the roof manually. Now it won't open manually with the key when I use it in the rear seat rest key hole.

The key turns and the drivers side latch releases but no matter how much force I use the passenger side rear latch doesn't release so I can't fold the roof in.....

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2020, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GCUK

My rear roof cover wouldn't close on the passenger side so I made the mistake of closing the roof manually. Now it won't open manually with the key when I use it in the rear seat rest key hole.

The key turns and the drivers side latch releases but no matter how much force I use the passenger side rear latch doesn't release so I can't fold the roof in.....

Thanks!

Hello,
im having a similar problem with the back lid not unlatching have you found a solution to this problem?
The following users liked this post:
Mz Casey (04-09-2022)
Old 12-01-2020, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default A4 lid won't un latch

Thanks!
Hi all I am also having this same issue, when using the manual key to un latch the rear lid, it feels as though something is jamming it down. I can't see any obvious signs of something causing it to jam shut. Wondered whether any one from previous posts with this issue have managed to resolve this same problem, if so, I would be highly appreciative of any pointers/solutions.

Thanks in advanced
Old 04-22-2021, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default stuck lid too

Originally Posted by Tom Clifford
Hi all I am also having this same issue, when using the manual key to un latch the rear lid, it feels as though something is jamming it down. I can't see any obvious signs of something causing it to jam shut. Wondered whether any one from previous posts with this issue have managed to resolve this same problem, if so, I would be highly appreciative of any pointers/solutions.

Thanks in advanced
Has anybody figured out how to unlock the stuck lid? Having same problem. I know how to use the key and it works fine for the front latch.. But the rear lid is stuck and in my case I can see one side is locked and the other isn't (i.e. it wasn't closed properly). It seems to me the issue is to find a way to release the tension and hopefully this will allow it open. Also, any tips on what "plan b" would be in this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-03-2022, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM

Has anyone been able to find a answer to this issue yet? I have a 2006 A4 and I have the same issue. Bigger problem this is my only vehicle and my top is stuck between open and close the key wont turn to pop open the roof storage compartment so I can open the top and the key wont turn in the overhead lock so I cab close the top so I can't even drive my car.. HELP PLEASE ....
Old 07-06-2022, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Helllppp

Thanks!

Was this ever fixed? Locked one side in and the other side isn't quite shut but it's locked, I've tried using the key but it doesn't move anywhere

Quick Reply: convertible top rear latch wont manually open