A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

First Service.......

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Service.......

....I'm still shocked ... £424.01.

As this is my first Audi after having numerous BMWs, this figure is extotionate for a first service. I used to pay £100 for a BMW Oil Service and £160 for a Inspection 1 both 15,000 miles apart.

Some of the hightlights include £59.94+VAT for oil and £13+VAT labour to replace a pair of wiper blades (£17.20+VAT for the pair)

In addition, it appears my cab may have had brake pads made from cardboard. 19,000 miles from new and they needed replacing at £72+VAT parts, £45.50+VAT labour.

To add to this, the car needs to go back in for: -

- New boot lid struts
- New gear ****
- New light cluster switch
- 9th attempt to cure squeaking from side windows
- Investigate why there's no bass from stereo

Couldn't argue the bill as I was still shocked, but was annoyed enough to argue recurring faults not being fixed. In the middle of passifying me, the Service Manager let slip a couple of interesting items: -

- Audi UK dealerships have the worst record in Europe for first time fix on problems
- Audi UK dealerships only get paid for warranty fix items the once. If a fault re occurs, the labour cost is soaked up by the dealership, hence their reluctance to spend any length of time on recurring problems

I'm giving the dealership one more chance to get this stuff sorted out. In the meantime, I'll be lodging an official rejection notice of the car as the main problems were identified from new. The deal is, sort it or get me a new car.

Any comments ?
Old 11-26-2003, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default That sucks...

the sad part is, U.S. tech's are just as bad. Recurring issues on my previous TT as well as many others that I know of.

Cabs have not seen too many issues here in the US, although a few trannies out of the small sample on this board seems like too many.

Luckily here in the States we have free services for the first 50k miles. After that, and we begin to pay higher rates than in the UK for our mileage/time services.

Audi doesn't seem to mind though.. sales are up. :-/
Old 11-27-2003, 12:00 AM

Re: First Service....... - Exactly why I got rid of mine :-( cr@p dealer support
Old 11-27-2003, 09:14 AM

Default Re: First Service.......

Mine was £290 including wipers but they din't charge me to fit as it took 4 weeks to get a pair of them. Oil was about the same price, but it costs similar in Halfords. One thing that annoyed is the insistance that the steering rack does not need replacement despite a resonance on anything right of central on the steering wheel and a terrible squealing noise every once in a while when doing 3-point turn type manouvres.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check that fluid... I'll bet it's just low. Possible?
Old 11-28-2003, 11:43 AM

Default Re: That sucks...

That service bill is disgaceful. I too have had many BMW's in the past and my first service bills have always been about £100 inc VAT. By comparison my wifes A class cost £200 for its first service and after much moaning the dealer gave me a 20% discount- they also changed the break pads under warranty as they were worn to the point the warning light was on after only 8,000 miles!!