A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

Remove/Replace Entire Convertible Top

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove/Replace Entire Convertible Top

Hello Community,I'm new here as I just purchased a 2004 A4 Cabrio 3.0 Quattro. I got a great deal on it for $2,900 with only 71,500 miles. I've had to replace some worn/broken plastic interior pieces, but for the most part the mechanics, interior, & exterior are pretty good, just a few scratches & small dings.
The main problem is the convertible top. It has a tear through the roof & headliner, the headliner motor cover is hanging off like someone had pried it back, and it isn't retracting. The front unlatches and I hear the motor spinning, but it doesn't seem to have enough power to get the top back and then it fails and I have to go through the reset procedure.
I haven't worked my way to the hydraulic pump motor yet, but under the assumption that it is low on fluid, I've ordered some hydraulic fluid which should be here tomorrow.

Since it seems like a nightmare to remove the canvas and the headliner from the frame, I found a complete top from an '08 that is in great shape and I intend on replacing the entire assembly.I don't imagine that it will be too difficult to unbolt, but it'll probably be a pain in the *** to route the hydraulic lines. I've searched for any information from people about doing this job, but to no avail.If anyone here has undertaken this project, I would appreciate anything ranging from a little advice to a narrated powerpoint presentation with video & torque specs ; ) If there isn't any knowledge about doing this, then I guess I'll have to be the one to share. I've definitely benefited enough from other DIY'ers that I owe the internet some knowledge.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Yes, it would be nice if you can make a video or taking tons of pictures steps
Cheers,
Louis
Old 12-05-2017, 08:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow. Replacing the top seems to be one of those jobs I'd never venture. Hats off to you for trying. I think I would start by calling a convertible shop to get an estimate first. Sometimes they can surprise you with a low bid.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I would replace the entire convertible top with glass as a new one and maybe repair the liner. Supposedly, the canvas top and window are replaceable without disassembling all the hydraulics and mechanical roof hardware... The tops vary in price, on Amazon I saw them as low as $499 US on up. I think the manufacturer provides instructions on how to do it or at least has a video of it... Below is a pdf of the A4 Cabriolet which has some details on the convertible top.

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_278.pdf

Last edited by RoMan709; 03-29-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-23-2023, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Swapping entire top - How did it work out?

Hello michaelHIJINX - I’m about to try the same thing you mentioned in your 2017 post, in my case moving the entire top (std cloth top with heated window) from one 2005 A4 Cabriolet to another 2005 A4 Cabriolet. (To address the obvious, my original 2005 Cab was totaled due to front end damage from a deer collision but it had a good top on it that had been replaced a few years back. I was able to find a nice low mileage 2005 A4 Cab (60,300 miles) but the top is bad, with window separating)

Were you able to do the swap?

Like you I’m thinking the mechanical aspect of moving the frame mounts should not be too bad, but am concerned about the hydraulic lines or electrical harnesses that run up into the top. Best case they would have separable connectors so the lines that run in the car body can be left alone (the top is working on the new Cab I got, so no need to replace the entire hydraulic system & pump).

I’ve not seen any other posts like yours for what I want to do, if you were able to do it I’d appreciate any tips! And if not it would be good to know if you hit a major roadblock in the swap or just decided not to do it for other reasons.

I’m happy to post pics if I do end up doing it.

Thx

Damaged 2005 A4 Cab in the back (w/ hood removed), ‘new’ 2005 A4 Cab in front
Old 10-23-2023, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

RoMan709 - that PDF you posted is amazing! Thanks for sharing that, I’ve never seen such a detailed doc on everything from the concept to the overview of the convertible frame and hydraulic system for the A4 Cabriolet (and I’ve owned 4 of them now, going bk to 2004). The illustrations are terrific.

The info in this PDF is really helpful for what I’m considering doing with the top swap from one A4 Cab to another.

Not sure where you found that doc but I’m glad you did, and glad you chose to share it with us!