A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

Yes, I'm still around... it's about my cloth top......

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 11:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes, I'm still around... it's about my cloth top......

OK, tonight the top was making some noise while on rough roads. So when I reached the place I was going, I decided to try running the top once to re-seat it... it's been raining in LA for a while and we haven't moved the top for weeks. There may have been two mistakes--- I was parked on an incline up and I stopped the top in mid operation. What happened was the metal cover came up and bumped into the cloth top that hadn't gotten to the angle for the lid to swing out of the way for the whole top to colapse into it's stowage area..... all this caused the warning light to flash and it dissabled the control. The top was dead at 1/3 position. I checked the manual and used the T-handled tool near the fuse box. A bit confusing at first, but I locked back down the lid, this freed up the top for complete closing and a push of the button locked the cloth top in place and pushed up the windows like normal. I'll take it to the dealer, but I thought this info might help others. I'll let the forum know how all this comes out.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default The next morning.... it now works......

So, last night we drove the car home with the top securely in place. But when I started the engine, the cloth top warning light blinked for about 10 seconds. This morning, I started the car, the light again blinked for about ten seconds. I operated the top and it stopped operating about the time the rear lid should open..... perhaps I didn't lock the lid properly with the T-handle tool last night... so I used the tool once again (reading the instructions carefully) and locked the lid securely. (You can hear and feel it when it locks.) I pushed the button down, it all operated to closed position. I restared the car, no warning light. Pulling the button, the windows, top and lid all worked in their usual ballet of motions. It seems completely fine now. I am now reluctant to take it to a repair facility when there is (now) nothing wrong. I hope this information helps someone out there in Forum-Land. Best of luck with your tops.... I've had a bit of good luck with mine. -Sancab ('04 - 3.0 CVT Silver/Blue/Blue)
Old 03-06-2005, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

update: 03/06/05 Top still working just fine.... At least I learned how to use the locking tool.