A6 allroad (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 allroad produced from 2020

How to disable foot swipe tailgate closing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How to disable foot swipe tailgate closing?

I can almost understand having a tailgate that opens by swiping your feet. That makes sense if you have suitcases in your hands. However, closing a station wagon’s tailgate with your feet is a terrible idea. Mine closes on my head almost every single time I reach deeply into the hatch.

This is a safety problem and a big inconvenience and I would like to disable it completely. Does anybody know how to do this? I would gladly pay to have this entire system removed from my car immediately. If not, perhaps I can put duct tape over something or disconnect a cable?. Thank you for any advice!

Last edited by dkgreig; 01-04-2023 at 03:10 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dkgreig:
Audiboy1956 (01-05-2023), grbbenny (01-04-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 102 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by dkgreig
However, closing a station wagon’s tailgate with your feet is a terrible idea.
I would think that being able to close it while your hands are full would be a benefit. I know I've come home from the grocery store and unloaded, but had to set things down in order to close the tailgate.
The following users liked this post:
Six-Pack (01-08-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dkgreig
However, closing a station wagon’s tailgate with your feet is a terrible idea. Mine closes on my head almost every single time I reach deeply into the hatch.

This is a safety problem and a big inconvenience and I would like to disable it completely.
I agree - the same thing happens to me when I am leaning into or even kneeling in the cargo area. Annoying and dangerous.
Old 01-04-2023, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I also agree - I understand the opening but the closing is very inconvenient and dangerous.
I dont know how to disable one without the other, but I've disabled both opening & closing using OBD11 as follows:
Comfort unit - gestic control timer 1 - changed from 2 to 10. Gestic control timer 2 changed from 1f to 10.
This has saved the problem but also stops it opening via foot gestures.
I haven't tried any variation on the above new values, so that might be worth trying!
The following 2 users liked this post by Steve.w:
grbbenny (01-04-2023), sparkyg (01-04-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I first noticed it when my kids would sit back there while I put their soccer cleats on .... Now I just take my key out of my pocket and set it in the cargo area. It never tries again so I imagine there is some thing about it closing when they key is sitting in there.

Now if only I could figure out how to use the foot sweep to open thing when I have my arms full. Yeah, that would be great.
Old 01-04-2023, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Disappointing to hear that Audi hasn't figured out how to make the foot gesture thing work seamlessly. I have that feature on my current Range Rover Sport and love it...Land Rover cleverly put the sensor for it on the side (between the rear wheel and bumper) instead of the usual middle of the rear bumper location. This allows you to a) more accurately hit the sensor each time you want to use it b) prevents the scenario above where standing behind the car could potentially trigger it to close. c) means you dont have to stand back when you are trying to open it to avoid getting hit by the opening tailgate. Seems like such an obvious and better approach- really surprised no one else (that I know of) does this.
Old 01-04-2023, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve.w
I also agree - I understand the opening but the closing is very inconvenient and dangerous.
I dont know how to disable one without the other, but I've disabled both opening & closing using OBD11 as follows:
Comfort unit - gestic control timer 1 - changed from 2 to 10. Gestic control timer 2 changed from 1f to 10.
This has saved the problem but also stops it opening via foot gestures.
I haven't tried any variation on the above new values, so that might be worth trying!
This is still safest path. Thanks Steve.
Old 01-04-2023, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

I am so glad to realize that I am not the only person to have inadvertently foot-triggered the closure!

The odd part though is that over ~70k miles on my previous hatch-equipped VAG vehicle, a 2019 VW Arteon, I never once inadvertently foot-triggered the closure.
(I also don't recall reading of any such complaint on the comparable forum for that vehicle.)
And the success rate for intentionally foot-triggering the opening was pretty much the same (maybe ~90%).

I wonder if the difference is not the sensing mechanism (which could be sourced from the same VAG parts bin) but instead something about the vehicle contours that lead us to place or feet further under the body of the vehicle when accessing the cargo area?
Old 01-04-2023, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Happens to me all the time, super annoying. Thanks I'm gonna give the obd11 change a try.
Old 01-05-2023, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 23 premium plus, and i tired to do the footswipe and nothing happened.

Is the premium plus equipped? or is it only the presitge?

Quick Reply: How to disable foot swipe tailgate closing?