Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

18" sport vs no sport... on the fence

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 08:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18" sport vs no sport... on the fence

So I'm ready to place my order. After months of narrowing, test driving Bmw 535i, Porsche Cayenne, and A6 I know what I want... sort of.

What is the opinion of 18" sport vs. no sport (getting Prestige either way)? The dealer where I test drove only carries sport models. The ride was good, but definitely former over potholes than the 535i was. I'm not one for a jarring ride, but I do want good 'manners' in body sway and cornering. I can't find a non-sport model to test drive to notice the difference.

Any opinions from those who has test driven or own one of the other?
Old 10-31-2011, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test drove a non-sport model, but never really got into it that hard to notice a difference. In all honesty the sports package setup really isn't that firm to where the ride is rigourous, just avoid the potholes . If you really want to get the sports package I'd recommend looking into the 19's or 20's. I've seen a few 18's at the dealer and, to me at least, they look too small for the car. Heck even the 3 spoke steering wheel and more aggresive stance was well worth the extra $$$.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I find the sport package worth it for the paddle shifters. I never used regular tiptronic in previous cars, but the paddle shifters get used all the time.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am in the same place as you. I have an '05 A6 3.2Q now and find the ride quality to be just right without the sports package. I drove the Prestige with both the 18" sports package and another one without it. The non-sports package ride was still firm, no "float" or excessive body lean, but better ride quality in my opinion. There was less transmission of road noise and coarseness through the suspsnsion. And, I like the non-sport wheels on the Prestige.

But, I would like to have the paddle shifters and the lower suspension.

A close call for me, but I think I'll end up without the sports package.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you are going to go Sport Package then in my opinion you need to go with 19" or 20". My personal preference was for the 20" wheels - they just seem to fill the wheel arches better.
To my eye, 18" wheels just look like they are too small on the A6.
Again just my opinion
Old 11-01-2011, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would recommend selecting the rim's that you find the most attractive, as imo it really sets off any vehicle. In my case, I picked the 18s because I liked the way they looked. Hated the 19s and thought the 20s were to harsh and didn't honestly want to pay to replace the 20" rubber every year because of the soft compound in the south Florida heat. Keep in mind the 19s & 20s are ZR rated tires whereas the 18s are all season radials. With the 18s you also get a donut spare which is obviously omitted on the run flats. I didn't know that when I made my selection and not sure I would've chosen on that basis, but since ordering I found this out from Audi NA and frankly glad I have the spare. YMMV. Again, I would select the one's you find the most visually pleasing.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

And like others, I really like the sport paddles & the three spoke steering wheel, so one of the sport pkgs were a must!
Old 11-01-2011, 11:48 AM
HDK
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by addysdaddy
I would recommend selecting the rim's that you find the most attractive, as imo it really sets off any vehicle. In my case, I picked the 18s because I liked the way they looked. Hated the 19s and thought the 20s were to harsh and didn't honestly want to pay to replace the 20" rubber every year because of the soft compound in the south Florida heat. Keep in mind the 19s & 20s are ZR rated tires whereas the 18s are all season radials. With the 18s you also get a donut spare which is obviously omitted on the run flats. I didn't know that when I made my selection and not sure I would've chosen on that basis, but since ordering I found this out from Audi NA and frankly glad I have the spare. YMMV. Again, I would select the one's you find the most visually pleasing.
I don't believe that any 19 or 20 inch sport suspension packages are being delivered with run flats. My 19" sport package came with the F1 Asymetrics and a donut spare. Both the P Zeros and the F1 Asymetrics are V rated not ZR if I'm not mistaken.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by addysdaddy
I am in Maryland, and need all season tires, and do not want to swap tires/rims each change of season. I do agree that the bigger rims look better on the car, but ride quality and all season traction outweigh the asthetics for me.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Weird, I got the run flat info from Audi NA but obviously you got what you got HDK, so what do they know? I'm "reasonably" certain about the summer performance tires (19s &20s) vs all season radials on the 18s and generally a performance tire is ZR rate - regardless of the rating it's a softer compound. And yes, I think the 19s fill the wheel well the best but I didn't care for the design of the spokes. Pick the one YOU LIKE!!!

Quick Reply: 18" sport vs no sport... on the fence