Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2013 A6 LED Headlights v HID Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Well, since it's been definitely established that the LED subsystem can move vertically like the Xenons, it seems there would be no reason why Audi could not have them self-level when on the move as well using the same programming. Unless, due to the design, LEDs do not pose the same Xenon "dazzle" issue to oncoming drivers.
Isn't it easy to tell if the LEDs self level by simply driving the car on any road than has elevation changes?
Old 11-22-2012, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spoon2000
The first time I flipped on my A6 LED headlights at night, I was thrilled at how great they were in and of themselves and relative to the Xenon headlights on the Audi to which I'd just said goodbye (and I had a similar reaction the first time I drove the Xenon-equipped Audi after moving out of a halogen headlamp Audi). To me, that's all that matters. Apparently others who've contributed to this thread feel similarly.
The evolution of great automotive lighting.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by looking@audi
In the US xenon equipped cars are required to have self leveling.

The after market lights do not self level, and that is why they tend to blind oncoming traffic.
The U.S. was actually a little short-sighted when they finally allowed xenon lighting to be used. In Europe, some sort of levelling system (automatic or cockpit-adjustable) was required, along with headlight washers, in order to prevent dazzling of oncoming drivers. In the U.S., none of these were required. My '05 TL had great bixenons, but no levelling (short of using a screwdriver) and no washers. My '07 Mazdaspeed 6 had 3-positions levelling from the cockpit, but no washers. The only ones who did it right were German cars and high-end luxury cars (e.g. Lexus).

Aftermarket xenon lights almost always dazzle because xenon bulbs are stuffed into a reflector designed for a halogen source. Consequently, light control is almost non-existent.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Found an interesting link to an Audi Technology website that goes into some detail about the different lighting options.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Found an interesting link to an Audi Technology website that goes into some detail about the different lighting options.
Interesting is understated. It is a great link for the curious like me. Great link, thanks!!!
Old 11-23-2012, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Interesting but unfortunately, it doesn't address self-leveling. We already know that it moves vertically but still trying to figure out if it levels while driving.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Interesting but unfortunately, it doesn't address self-leveling. We already know that it moves vertically but still trying to figure out if it levels while driving.
In this PDF file, you'll see a reference to a "Headlight Range Control Servomotor". Under Motorway light, the following description is applied:
For the motorway light, the light-dark boundary of the dipped beam is raised by the headlight range adjustment servomotor. The motorway light is activated when the speed is higher than 110 kph for an extended period of time or immediately if 140 kph is exceeded.
This jibes with other owners who've seen the self-leveling test whenever the car is started.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Audi S6 LED info.pdf (342.2 KB, 215 views)
Old 11-23-2012, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

In this PDF file, you'll see a reference to a "Headlight Range Control Servomotor". Under Motorway light, the following description is applied:

This jibes with other owners who've seen the self-leveling test whenever the car is started.
Thanks for finding this; this is very comprehensive and imformative description of the LED light assembly.

A few observations..

This appears to be an S6 UK based document but references the US SAE variations so, one could make the assumption that the functions described are also for US cars and would be the same for the A6.

The "dipped beam" would presumably be the same as "low beam" and "main beam" would equal "high beam" in US terminology. Not mentioned is there is no main (high) beam assist function available in U.S.models; the main (high) beam can only be activated with the light stalk (at least on the A6).

Unless I've missed it, there is no "tourist light" setting available in the MMI/Car menu in US versions, which apparently reverses the light pattern from right hand drive (i.e. UK) to left hand drive (i.e. Continental Europe and North America). This would make sense in the U.S/Canada. Presumably there's coding in Vag-Com to make this setting available in the MMI if one, for example, were to ship their US car to a right hand drive country.

As to the "Motorway light" description, it would appear that the dipped (low) beams would be raised slightly by the servo motor at speeds above 68+ mph after an extended time or immediately at 86+ mph. It would appear that the LEDs do not actively level adjust in any fashion for hill conditions as previously discussed in this thread, but are designed to extend the range of the dipped (low) beams at higher speeds (high beams not withstanding).
I wonder if this is actually available in the U.S. as this could "dazzle" oncoming drivers. I suppose it's possible as driving at these speeds, theoretically, one would most likely be on a divided direction interstate where the oncoming traffic is separated by a median but that's not always the case.

Not mentioned in this document is the LED servo headlight level control that is apparent when starting the car, presumably to adjust headlight aiming height for balancing car load conditions.

Last edited by snagitseven; 11-23-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

From all I've been able to ascertain, all options that are common to the A6/S6 (e.g. LED headlights; HUD; Night Vision) are the same. There are no upgrades for the S6.

Yes, dipped = low and main = high. Also, boot = trunk, bonnet = hood and wings = fenders. Those crazy Europeans.

I would imagine that the servo that operates the "Motorway Light" function will also double as means of self-levelling. The function (moving the light assembly up and down) is the same for both, so it would make sense to minimize the number of parts in such a space-limited assembly.

I thought I read that High-beam Assistant was included with the LED lights, but when I did some more research, all I could find was a reference to the A8 lights in North America. Bummer! I don't know why some of the coolest features are left off for cars coming across the pond.

As an aside, I would imagine that self-levelling is probably not required as much for the S6, given the air suspension keeps the back on an even keel, regardless of load.

Last edited by DeerHunter; 11-23-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I doubt that the headlights self-level while driving. There are far too many bumps and dips that the mechanism would be going crazy. Ever notice when you hit a bump and your headlights 'flash' a reflection off a road sign or something? I would think this is because they do not self-level.

Or when you are waiting in a left turn lane with someone also waiting directly opposite you. Sometimes your rear tires are in a rut or pothole, or the intersection may just be on a hill, such that your headlights are pointing up straight into the other driver's eyes and they will probably be flashing their headlights angrily at you. (Yep happened to me a few times.) There is plenty of time for the headlights to self-level while you are waiting at the red light, but they do not.

My understanding is that the headlights are aimed assuming a flat road, and roughly parallel to the road, or perhaps a little bit downward as a safety margin for all the dips and hills. Thus the remaining factor which could make them point dangerously high is a static load in the rear, which is what the self-leveling system is there for.

Quick Reply: 2013 A6 LED Headlights v HID Headlights