Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2013 A6 LED Headlights v HID Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M1tch
I was referring to both. Neither yet have the technology to react to changes in road elevation.
What am I missing - every xenon equipped car I have owned has had self leveling lights?
Old 01-03-2013, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

As has been discussed previously, both Xenon and LCD headlights have self-leveling for load adjustment only. You can see (and hear) the lights move when you start the car as they compensate for the fore/aft angle of the car. Neither design offers dynamic leveling for hills and such, at least in US cars. I believe, the high beams will slightly raise up to extend the range above 68 mph (LCD; not certain about Xenon but suspect they will as well).

Further, Xenons have dynamic swiveling as the car corners. LCD headlights do not swivel but are designed for a wider horizontal angle and also have employ side aimed cornering lights, each of which come on at slower speeds as the steering wheel is turned (they also double as "all weather lights" with a push of a button on the dash where a front "fog" lamp button is typically located).

Finally, European versions (possibly other markets but not not North America) offer GPS linked headlights that automatically adjust to three range, angle and spread settings for different road types and intersections based on the current location.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Neither design offers dynamic leveling for hills and such, at least in US cars. .
Not true. Every xenon equipped car I have had (including my 2013 A7) has been able to adjust the lights for elevation changes. You can easily see this while driving on hilly roads. For example, when you are going uphill the lights will tilt down to avoid blinding oncoming traffic.

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Further, Xenons have dynamic swiveling as the car corners.
Only adaptive xenon lights have the ability to swivel right and left to aid around corners. On the current A6/A7 cars only the Prestige models have adaptive xenons.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

European cars with Xenons are, as far as I know, required to have auto-leveling headlights; the same is not true for the US, although most European cars that make it here have it as well. But not all cars with Xenons auto level. Most Infinitis, for instance, do not auto level at all; the older FX even had a **** in the car so the driver could manually adjust the height if the trunk was loaded. I have not noticed my A6 adjusting vertically as I drive (although it may well be doing it; I just have not seen it). I have LEDs.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikem33
European cars with Xenons are, as far as I know, required to have auto-leveling headlights; the same is not true for the US, although most European cars that make it here have it as well. But not all cars with Xenons auto level. Most Infinitis, for instance, do not auto level at all; the older FX even had a **** in the car so the driver could manually adjust the height if the trunk was loaded. I have not noticed my A6 adjusting vertically as I drive (although it may well be doing it; I just have not seen it). I have LEDs.
I agree. My '08 FX35 has the dial which I use at the highest setting to blind oncoming traffic.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mikem33
The Audi A6/A7 LEDs do not self level.

You are correct, in that self leveling for xenons is not a US requirement, however, most European cars that make it here have it as well. They are included on the A6/A7's. I also had this on several of the Mercedes and BMW's I have owned.

A lot of the Japanese cars in the US with xenons do not self level.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by looking@audi
The Audi A6/A7 LEDs do not self level.
Are you sure about this? The LED headlight information brochure shows a "Headlight range control servomotor", which is used for the motorway light (raises light at speeds greater than 110 km/h) or the All-weather light (fog light function). I can't see why this servomotor wouldn't self level the lights, just as is done on the HID variants.

Of course, on the S6/7, it's a moot point since the suspension will self-level instead.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm............My LED lights absolutely self-level........
Old 01-07-2013, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Are you sure about this? .
There is a difference between calibrating for load versus self leveling for hills and elevation changes.

I have read from some users that LEDs do not self level for elevation. If you have LEDs let us know.

Last edited by looking@audi; 01-07-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by looking@audi
There is a difference between calibrating for load versus self leveling for hills and elevation changes.
Fair enough. I took self-levelling to mean what you term as "calibrating for load". Auto-levelling for terrain will be harder to verify visually.

Quick Reply: 2013 A6 LED Headlights v HID Headlights