Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2016 A6

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your response. I spoke to dealership and AoA, both are saying rotors are not covered under warranty. How can i raise a consumer affairs complaint with Audi?
Old 01-12-2017, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 2016audia6
Same here, 2016 A6 3.0 14500 miles, at my 15k service ad visor told, my rotors warped and gone. Does Audi replace the rotors? What are my options now?
How did the dealership determine that the rotors were warped? It could be a uneven distribution of pad material on the friction surfaces.

-Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths

Before I replaced rotors, I would first try bedding in the pads. If that didn't cure it, I would have the rotors resurfaced and bed the pads again.

Here's the best burnishing video that I have come across. I used it when I installed my rotors and pads last summer.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

I'm not sure which State you are in and I presume local laws will govern. Check owner's manual as I think you might find some information in there. How many months has car been in service and did you ever raise this issue with dealer service dept before they gave you this news at 14,500 miles? This is what I absolutely detest about VAG. This is not the type of customer support one would expect with a German luxury sedan costing in excess of 55K. If you were driving a Lexus I suspect they would simply take care of the problem without any discussion at all. Unless you have been abusing the car there is no way a set of rotors should go bad at 14,500 miles.

I suppose you can run this through the "consumer complaint" process, whatever that may be and I'll leave it to others here to comment on whether they have ever done that and been successful. Somehow I think it will be a waste of time.

In the event my rotors warp again in the same timeframe/mileage that they did first time around and Audi refuses to step up notwithstanding the lovely note they put on the RO about the replacement being a one time goodwill gesture for "customer satisfaction" I will escalate the discussion to a different forum. That forum involves a lady or gentleman who typically wears a black robe who is addressed as your honor.

I don't know what your relationship is with your dealer or whether you bought the car new from them but perhaps a candid conversation with the service manager and the sales manager expressing profound disappointment and querying them as to whether they think it reasonable that brake rotors on an expensive German luxury sedan should warp after so short a time might result in a change of position or at the very least an offer of some assistance with the cost to put this right. If you get no satisfaction I would find an independent and work with them -- numerous outlets for OEM Audi parts at a discount and if this is the way the dealer is going to take care of you they don't deserve your business in my opinion.

Vorsprung durch Technik/Truth in Engineering -- really?

I hope you get this sorted out to your satisfaction. If not, the only thing you can do is bite the bullet, get it fixed on your dime at an independent shop and try not to let this ruin your experience with the car. However, if this is how Audi treats its customers when the car is relatively new, I have to wonder what happens if you are 10 minutes out of warranty and something major goes wrong -- goodwill coverage or the middle finger from Audi? The jury is still out for me but so far what I have experienced and heard is not giving me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Best,
Jeff
Old 01-13-2017, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Acuransx
I'm not sure which State you are in and I presume local laws will govern. Check owner's manual as I think you might find some information in there. How many months has car been in service and did you ever raise this issue with dealer service dept before they gave you this news at 14,500 miles? This is what I absolutely detest about VAG. This is not the type of customer support one would expect with a German luxury sedan costing in excess of 55K. If you were driving a Lexus I suspect they would simply take care of the problem without any discussion at all. Unless you have been abusing the car there is no way a set of rotors should go bad at 14,500 miles.

I suppose you can run this through the "consumer complaint" process, whatever that may be and I'll leave it to others here to comment on whether they have ever done that and been successful. Somehow I think it will be a waste of time.

In the event my rotors warp again in the same timeframe/mileage that they did first time around and Audi refuses to step up notwithstanding the lovely note they put on the RO about the replacement being a one time goodwill gesture for "customer satisfaction" I will escalate the discussion to a different forum. That forum involves a lady or gentleman who typically wears a black robe who is addressed as your honor.

I don't know what your relationship is with your dealer or whether you bought the car new from them but perhaps a candid conversation with the service manager and the sales manager expressing profound disappointment and querying them as to whether they think it reasonable that brake rotors on an expensive German luxury sedan should warp after so short a time might result in a change of position or at the very least an offer of some assistance with the cost to put this right. If you get no satisfaction I would find an independent and work with them -- numerous outlets for OEM Audi parts at a discount and if this is the way the dealer is going to take care of you they don't deserve your business in my opinion.

Vorsprung durch Technik/Truth in Engineering -- really?

I hope you get this sorted out to your satisfaction. If not, the only thing you can do is bite the bullet, get it fixed on your dime at an independent shop and try not to let this ruin your experience with the car. However, if this is how Audi treats its customers when the car is relatively new, I have to wonder what happens if you are 10 minutes out of warranty and something major goes wrong -- goodwill coverage or the middle finger from Audi? The jury is still out for me but so far what I have experienced and heard is not giving me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Best,
Jeff
Given all the legalities the corporation is currently going through with the possibility of more to come I'm guessing there will be more fingers than goodwill now & in the future in an effort to recoup the mounting costs. Just my opinion.....
Old 01-13-2017, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I leased my car on December 27, 2016. Took it home and had massive vibration only when braking from 70 MPH and up. Took back and they replaced the rotors and had the nerve to tell me I only get 1 replacement under warranty. That's silly, the car was delivered with warped rotors.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by joedaman88
I leased my car on December 27, 2016. Took it home and had massive vibration only when braking from 70 MPH and up. Took back and they replaced the rotors and had the nerve to tell me I only get 1 replacement under warranty. That's silly, the car was delivered with warped rotors.

I had a similar experience but got the 1 replacement message on the RO for the front rotors that were replaced around 11,000 miles -- 1,500 or so miles after the replacement of the rears that were warped. The SA didn't have the gall to say it to my face. Interesting that the RO for the replacement of the rear rotors didn't contain this love note. I will use that to my advantage if rears warp again prematurely.

I'm hoping for the best but all of the anecdotal evidence tells me nothing has really changed with VAG.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Acuransx
I had a similar experience but got the 1 replacement message on the RO for the front rotors that were replaced around 11,000 miles -- 1,500 or so miles after the replacement of the rears that were warped. The SA didn't have the gall to say it to my face. Interesting that the RO for the replacement of the rear rotors didn't contain this love note. I will use that to my advantage if rears warp again prematurely.

I'm hoping for the best but all of the anecdotal evidence tells me nothing has really changed with VAG.
I purchased a brand new 16 A6 3.0 Premium + in August 2016. Car had 10 miles on it. On the drive with the salesman I felt something just wasn't right while braking. Felt it on the front right side. They replaced the front rotors and tires while I was waiting. Took about 8 hours between the test drive, negotiation, paperwork, replacement of those items and prepping. Was a long day. But the gist of the story is that they replaced those items. Salesman did mention that they would normally refinish the rotors but in this case, they were replacing them. I told him I wouldn't buy a new car whereby the rotors were shaved and not brand new from the start.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dudley@07726
I purchased a brand new 16 A6 3.0 Premium + in August 2016. Car had 10 miles on it. On the drive with the salesman I felt something just wasn't right while braking. Felt it on the front right side. They replaced the front rotors and tires while I was waiting. Took about 8 hours between the test drive, negotiation, paperwork, replacement of those items and prepping. Was a long day. But the gist of the story is that they replaced those items. Salesman did mention that they would normally refinish the rotors but in this case, they were replacing them. I told him I wouldn't buy a new car whereby the rotors were shaved and not brand new from the start.

Glad you caught this and dealer did the right thing (not that they had much choice as seems to me they would have lost a sale if they didn't replace per your demand). Interesting that tires were also replaced. I wonder if the rotor problems that some of us experience have anything to do with how long the car has sat around at port and on dealer lot before being sold. Mine was bought around the time that the /16s were becoming available so I know it had been sitting for quite a few months.

Best,
Jeff
Old 07-18-2017, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2016 A6 warped rotors

Originally Posted by Akhaines525
I have 15,000 miles on my 2016 Audi A6 just brought it in for the 15,000 mile service. They said my rotors are warped and I have to pay for it. Anyone having this issue? Anyone agree that it is crazy for a car only a year old.
My Audi A6 25,000 mile service was done the other day. Audi was notified before the service that the rotors may be warped due to vibration in the brake pedal. Audi confirmed the front rotors were warped on the service summary yet failed to replace the rotors or offer to pay for them. Instead they quoted me $1150.00 for front brake pads and rotors and gave a service a rating of "Truly Exceptional 10 pass". I was told the brake pads were at 80%. I'm very frustrated with Audi and feel that they should repair this at no cost to me. I also find it odd that they left the warped rotors on the car as I would think the brake pads would wear out faster and potentially be a safety issue.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My dealer ended up covering the warped rotors but only because I was just over the 15k mark.

Quick Reply: 2016 A6