Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2016 a6 prestige seats uncomfortable

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I said it before and I'll say it again: the standard seats on US spec German cars are absolute garbage! I really love my Audis but I'm clueless to why they thought it's a good idea to put such ****ty seats in a 60k car, they are literally worse than in a base EU model.

The ONLY acceptable seats on the A6 in the US are the sport (competition/S6) or individual comfort. Trust me, I made the mistake of getting the P+ with standard seats and you don't want them. In fact, I think there should be a sticky on this forum: this car is the best in its class but NEVER get it with the standard seats!!

Last edited by Tinbad; 11-24-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just finished a 10 hour 640 mile trip and drove all the way without a relief driver. No fatigue! The A6 comfort seats are unsurpassed. My wife would have relieved me for 3 or 4 of those hours if we were driving the 2015 X-5 or other BMW 5-series that we've owned. It costs a few $$$, but the A-6 comfort seats are well worth it if you take long trips. I also must mention that the engine response and handling are a real pleasure on a long trip as they are on shorter ones. Everybody's seating requirements are different so YMMV.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Yup. I agree. The standard seats in the A6 causes neck pains for me after a long drive. Infact, I think the seats in my new A4 are slightly better than the ones in my A6. But both are better than BMW and Mercedes Benz seats.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am posting here because there are no complaints about the Sport seats in the A5 forum.
Bought an A5 sline with sport seats two months ago and still have not resolved the problems with the seats, but they are getting better. Came from a Hyundai Azera which had very comfortable seats.

The first few weeks I had quite a bit of pain with these seats. Too many adjustments and was very hard to find the best. After searching the internet I have come up with the following, which might be helpful/

1. Position the Lumbar higher up than you think you need it. USE IT. The sport seats are concave and will kill your back if you do not. I never used it in the Hyundai

2. Get as close to the steering wheel as you can.
3.Raise the seat as high as you can as a higher position puts pressure on your feet and not your back.
4.Use the pull out thigh supporter, if you have it.
5.Use the heated seat, it will relax your back.
6. It takes your body a while to get use to the seat .
7. Wear a fleece or a thick sweater It will give you more cushioning.
8. Get the seat in a fairly upright position. Leaning too far back, will put stress on your back.

Believe me, I have tried everything. Sometimes I drive for an hour now and the seat is fine since I raised the lumbar. I still get a few twinges. Over all very dissapointing seat but I think it will be ok after a few more weeks of driving. All my prior Audi's killed my back until I got used to the Seat. Had 98, 00 and 04 A6's. All were ok after a month.

I am 5'10 and about 200lbs. I find the side bolsters annoying and sometimes pinching my left leg if I am not sitting exactly right in the seat.Most people seem to love the Sport seats. I guess they may be better than the standard.

Had a dream last night I was at an Audi dealership looking for an A6 with the comfort seats. This is getting ridiculous, but glad to hear I am not crazy. Hope these tips help. Car is wonderful, other than the hard seat.

I probably should not have bought a sports car, but this may be my last chance to reclaim my 1972 240 Z experience. Am 68 so next car will probably be an A6
Old 11-29-2016, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have yet to find a car seat better then Volvo. Have owned two Volvos in the past 850T and S80 T6. Those were the most comfortable seats I have seen in any vehicle since.
Owned a 2002 A4 for 12 years and now a 2014 Mazda 6 GT. Would like to get back into an Audi have been looking at S6 and A6. Have driven both and yes the S6 sport seats do feel
better then the A6 vented or not. Have driven E-class and 5 series not impressed with those seats either. Can't get over how the new S90 Volvo looks like a Lincoln with the dash, but
the seat are great as usual.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by marsbar1976
have been looking at S6 and A6. Have driven both and yes the S6 sport seats do feel
better then the A6 vented or not. Have driven E-class and 5 series not impressed with those seats either.
Absolutely. The S6 seats are way better than the ordinary vented seats on the A6 (I drove an S6 for the first time a few days back).
And yes. Mercedes used to have comfortable seats long back but now, both BMW and Mercedes have gone down. Audi has better seats than either of them.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Drove an A8 for 10 years until 7/2015. Those were some nice seats... At least better than I've ever had.

Sat in a 2017 A8 last night and marveled at the machine. It was a $98k car sitting on the showroom floor. Certainly seemed better than my old 05 A8.

Drove home 100 miles in a (new to me) 2014 A6. Yes it's not an A8 but I found the seat to be quite nice - Adjusting the wheel is necessary too. At 6'1", 205 I fit pretty well. One thing I always love about these cars are the heated seats, they simply feel great on my lower back.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I wouldn't go as far as uncomfortable, but I've had my A6 premium plus (2012) for a a few months now and I've yet to find the right adjustment for them... they also lack side support. My ****ty b-class mercedes had more confortable seats out of the box.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I like mine. Different strokes...... I guess!
Old 12-24-2016, 11:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Nuclearaudiman
Sometimes i wonder if its the ventilation aspect. Decreased cushioning to account for the fans?
I had a '98 a4 and a 2000 S4 -- loved the cars, great seats. Went to replace in 2004, and the newer Audi seats were TERRIBLE. I ended up buying an Infiniti G365x -- so so car, but great seats (not so in the current models). I'm in the market again. I've looking at na A6/7 or maybe an S6/7, but so far, I find the seats uncomfortable.

I'll be renting an A6 for a weekend and a long drive -- I'll report back in about 2 weeks.

Quick Reply: 2016 a6 prestige seats uncomfortable