Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2018 Sport suspension new tire choice

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Sport suspension new tire choice

Hello, the sport suspension is bothering me here in Ohio. I'm mainly looking for a comparison if anyone knows between the DWS 06 and the P7 PLUS version. These seem to be the best of the best from what I read?

I think the stock oem p7 is supposed be pretty soft but it's also not reviewed very highly. Because of that I'm leaning towards Conti, one is also a UHP vs GT.. I would love the lexus/buick like ride.

Comfort over anything else if anyone has an idea. I read that swapping springs may be possible also.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Tires and suspension have been heavily discussed on this forum, and an A6 with sport suspension is never going to be anything close to the ride of a Lexus.
BTW put your location under your logon name as Ohio is very relevant to your question.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

I am in MI and understand how you feel. I have sport suspension on 19s and roads here are awful. I try and avoid the worst ones. I have run P7+ and DWS06 on a number of cars in our fleet. P7+ ride the best and are very quiet in my experience. DWS06 are a bit lumpy in the a.m. and seem to flat spot until they run for a few minutes after sitting overnight. They are also a bit noisier than the P7+ and although they are marketed as being decent in snow my experience is they are nothing special in snow. The negative factor regarding the P7+ is that per Tire Rack testing their wet weather capabilities are not all that good. I don't care about cornering in the wet since I take it easy but stopping distances in wet are important when it comes to having to make an emergency stop. I also need to replace the tires on my A6 (has OEM Continental ProContacts) and have same dilemma you have. There is a new Michelin tire that has come out -- see Tire Rack site -- I forget the name it is an all season tire that I'm waiting on Tire Rack to test. My other alternative is to put on a set of dedicated summer tires since I have a set of winters mounted on OEM wheels. Good luck.

Best,
Jeff
Old 01-22-2019, 09:09 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Not sure why you would opt for the sport suspension when looking for a lexus/buick ride quality. Even without sport suspension Audi's never have a lexus/buick ride quality, but anyway...we'll assume you have the 18" wheel otherwise nothing much will help with 19's.
You could try playing with tire size a bit within a couple percent. If stock is 245/45-18 (110mm sidewall) and the Audi winter package is 225/50-18 (113mm sidewall) then you should be ok with a 255/45-18 (115mm sidewall) or try you luck with a 245/50-18 (123mm sidewall) but that would have to be checked carefully for fitment.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have stated in more than one thread that I run either PZeros on 20’s or P7’s on 18’s, both with sport suspension. Neither give a great ride, the sport suspension is very harsh irrelevant of tires. Obviously,the 18/P7’s are better but the bushing rates, coil stiffness and damper calibration will never be a Buick/Lexus ride, the best that you will accomplish is “tolerable”.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
I have stated in more than one thread that I run either PZeros on 20’s or P7’s on 18’s, both with sport suspension. Neither give a great ride, the sport suspension is very harsh irrelevant of tires. Obviously,the 18/P7’s are better but the bushing rates, coil stiffness and damper calibration will never be a Buick/Lexus ride, the best that you will accomplish is “tolerable”.
Yeah, I was actually really surprised how harsh the sports suspension is. My first A4 didn’t have it, just by luck though, I didn’t know much about it. Then i took a friend in to drive an A5 and all they had was sports suspension models. He drove it and hated it it because it was just too rough. I thought he was just being picky so i drove it and it was too rough. My A6 didn’t have it and that was a requirment for me.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, I have the 19" wheels. I did test-drive cars before this with 19" also and P7 oem's and I just didn't notice the sports suspension on the test-drives.

Thanks all for the detailed replies. One other thread went into replacing the springs as an option I might need to look into. So the P7 standards going to a P7 + is a big difference in your opinion or just little one? I think I will hold off as well and look for the review you mentioned on the new Michelin a/s..

The weird thing is pretty much all of the cars I saw did have the sport suspension on them.. the only one I saw that did not was a loaner vehicle.. Can't believe it rides so harsh.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:13 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by markpow
Sorry, I have the 19" wheels. I did test-drive cars before this with 19" also and P7 oem's and I just didn't notice the sports suspension on the test-drives.

Thanks all for the detailed replies. One other thread went into replacing the springs as an option I might need to look into. So the P7 standards going to a P7 + is a big difference in your opinion or just little one? I think I will hold off as well and look for the review you mentioned on the new Michelin a/s..

The weird thing is pretty much all of the cars I saw did have the sport suspension on them.. the only one I saw that did not was a loaner vehicle.. Can't believe it rides so harsh.
In that case sell the 19's (98-102mm sidewall) and get 18's. I would try that prior to getting springs as that will be expensive and labor intensive. The only way to get 19's with a rubber soft enough to make any appreciable difference would be maybe to get full studless snow tires but that is not a practical solution.
Also keep in mind tire air pressure makes a difference in ride comfort. If you are in the US, make sure your tires are NOT inflated to the door sticker pressure with just you in the car. Use the owners manual instead.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
Tires and suspension have been heavily discussed on this forum, and an A6 with sport suspension is never going to be anything close to the ride of a Lexus.
BTW put your location under your logon name as Ohio is very relevant to your question.
yeah, my wife always bitches about this. “Why did you get rid of your Lexus, it was so much more comfortable”.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The A6 in ROW has the option of variable suspension but the idiots at Audi USA decided that our roads are so good that we don’t need it. Have you noticed that nobody located anywhere but in the US complains about the ride in an A6? The US marketed team thought that by omitting the variable suspension option would help push buyers upmarket to an S6. Of course, it’s well documented that the ROW get all the options but the US get the government vintage laws restricting our options although the suspension issue is a marketing issue. Between the two restrictions, we get screwed so we need to find an importer of German A6’s to get the real thing.

Quick Reply: 2018 Sport suspension new tire choice