Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Is the 3M protective Car film worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Juan D Alvarez
Has anyone tried to put XPEL on themselves? I'm stationed in Europe and there are no dealers/installers in Germany so I would have to attempt this on my own.
I installed it on a car about eight years ago and it was pretty easy. I watched a guy install it a car a few years prior. The biggest thing is having the patience to do a good job. I'd look you youtube to see how people do it and decide. If you do a bad job, the only problem is small air bubbles that no one will see unless they get down on their hands and knees and look for it.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by navin in KC
I installed it on a car about eight years ago and it was pretty easy. I watched a guy install it a car a few years prior. The biggest thing is having the patience to do a good job. I'd look you youtube to see how people do it and decide. If you do a bad job, the only problem is small air bubbles that no one will see unless they get down on their hands and knees and look for it.
Depends on if you use precut kits and if you want to wrap edges (the kits are not designed to do this, only custom cut pieces). A full front requires lots of small pieces for the front bumper and I believe you can only do a bra vs a full hood unless you had access to a 60" roll (very expensive). Check their website - they rate the kits for difficulty. The Xpel Ultimate is a thicker film and my understanding is it requires special handling compared to the typical types. My Xpel Ultimate installer has done hundreds of cars and claims to do it right, you need some expertise and training.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by navin in KC
FYI, Xpel Ultimate is a heavier film and requires some expertise to install correctly. (The Ultimate did not exist eight years ago).
Old 09-30-2013, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys got my xpel kit with 24 inch protection at the hood...not sure if this is a normal issue, or the person used low quality materials.

I have a black A6. So On installation you could see the edge on the hood, if you looked for it. Now after two weeks the car has gathered dust and the dust on the xpel is very different and sticky than the dust on the rest of the car...and there is a distinct dust line forming at the edge of the xpel and the regular paint hood. Its very easy to tell the xpel part apart from the non xpel part.

I'm going to get the car washed tomorrow on the weekend, but is this an issue for other people as well. Please advice. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apparently the pieces I have behind the front wheels are factory installed? Not sure, but someone mentioned that. I first noticed them because the edges collect dirt and give a clear line along, I was like, what the heck is this on my car!
Old 09-30-2013, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
Apparently the pieces I have behind the front wheels are factory installed? Not sure, but someone mentioned that. I first noticed them because the edges collect dirt and give a clear line along, I was like, what the heck is this on my car!
They are factory installed to protect rocks thrown up by the front wheels..
Old 09-30-2013, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by rimmi2002
Guys got my xpel kit with 24 inch protection at the hood...not sure if this is a normal issue, or the person used low quality materials.

I have a black A6. So On installation you could see the edge on the hood, if you looked for it. Now after two weeks the car has gathered dust and the dust on the xpel is very different and sticky than the dust on the rest of the car...and there is a distinct dust line forming at the edge of the xpel and the regular paint hood. Its very easy to tell the xpel part apart from the non xpel part.

I'm going to get the car washed tomorrow on the weekend, but is this an issue for other people as well. Please advice. Thanks.
Did you get Xpel Ultimate installed or one of their other films? The Ultimate has a clear coat on it just like the paint from the factory. I've never noticed the Ultimate gather dust or dirt any differently than the non filmed surfaces (I do wax the entire car). Have you washed it at all since the install? Perhaps they left some adhesive on the surface. As to the seam, any film can show dirt or paste wax build up on the edges which can be removed with proper washing. I use Optimum Spray Wax and never have to worry about any edges showing residual paste wax. Unless I touch a seam, I can't tell it's there. When waxed, it feels the same as the rest of the car even before I had Opti-coat installed over all the car's surfaces a year later.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Did you get Xpel Ultimate installed or one of their other films? The Ultimate has a clear coat on it just like the paint from the factory. I've never noticed the Ultimate gather dust or dirt any differently than the non filmed surfaces (I do wax the entire car). Have you washed it at all since the install? Perhaps they left some adhesive on the surface. As to the seam, any film can show dirt or paste wax build up on the edges which can be removed with proper washing. I use Optimum Spray Wax and never have to worry about any edges showing residual paste wax. Unless I touch a seam, I can't tell it's there. When waxed, it feels the same as the rest of the car even before I had Opti-coat installed over all the car's surfaces a year later.
Thanks. I'm a little suspicious of the guy who did the install now. I talked to him on the phone and he said xpel ultimate. When I went to put money down, his partner who was there (who does audio) said xpel premium and when I questioned him...he said oh the installer does the highest one...a few years back it was premium now it must be ultimate. Said he was just confused of the name since he does audio and doesn't deal with it reguarly.

The guy installing said xpel ultimate so I took his word. I couldn't be there for the install. It looked fine when I got the car from him 2 weeks ago. I haven't washed it yet. I'll get it washed soon to see if it that makes a difference. The dirt seems like its just stuck to the xpel, i tired wiping it off and it was sticky so maybe it just needs a wash.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks. I'm a little suspicious of the guy who did the install now. I talked to him on the phone and he said xpel ultimate. When I went to put money down, his partner who was there (who does audio) said xpel premium and when I questioned him...he said oh the installer does the highest one...a few years back it was premium now it must be ultimate. Said he was just confused of the name since he does audio and doesn't deal with it reguarly.

The guy installing said xpel ultimate so I took his word. I couldn't be there for the install. It looked fine when I got the car from him 2 weeks ago. I haven't washed it yet. I'll get it washed soon to see if it that makes a difference. The dirt seems like its just stuck to the xpel, i tired wiping it off and it was sticky so maybe it just needs a wash.
The Ultimate was introduced about a year and a half ago IIRC. It cost about half as much again as their second best product and is the only film that has the self healing properties and a clear coat layer. Something doesn't sound right. You could call Xpel and ask if that installer was ever shipped the Ultimate product.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

have you waxed or put a coating on your car? If so, did you also put it on the Xpel film?

if you have not, I would do that. the Xpel finish needs waxed / coated just like the rest of the vehicle. There are some coatings like CQuartz, 22PLE, Gtechniq that are hydrophobic / dust resistant.

Also, given that you do have a black car, you will notice every bit of dust more than other colors

Quick Reply: Is the 3M protective Car film worth it?