Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 C7 car battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
No, on the re-coding following a disconnect.

Nova, can you clear the faults with VCDS (or get your local person to do it for you) and see if that corrects the problem you're seeing?

I've seen memory settings lost on the windows, sunroof and seats when power is lost on other cars. I would ensure your battery is solid, clear faults and take it from there...
Unfortunately, I don't have a VCDS tool, I really need to invest in one. I was going to bring it to the dealer but they charge an arm and a leg just to scan it and I don't really trust them after my last C6 repair.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What are the symptoms of BEM kicking in?

I have had a warning few times about battery being low so mmi would shut down (when car is off and i am waiting for someone and mmi and stereo are on).

Also now i am noticing the convenience key is not working when parked for long periods of time. It does work right away if i arm and disarm the car.

I am thinking my battery is on its way out and its only a few years old and less than 42K on it.

One of the reason i think this maybe is because i never used to arm my car in the garage and the dealership had said few times to do so as car wouldn't go into deep sleep.

Time to purchase the vcds!
Old 12-14-2017, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I too am wondering if my battery is on its way out. Last winter when it was really cold out, single digits, and my car sat in the garage over the weekend the convenience key would not work when I came out Monday morning to start it. The FOB would unlock the doors and it would start and run just fine. This week its really cold here and its happening from just sitting overnight in the garage. Meaning the convenience key is not working in the morning when I go out to start it. It does start and run just fine though. No warnings. Its hard to believe a battery only lasts a few years nowadays...

So from reading this thread am I too understand that the battery will notify me if it is time for a change or do I need to have this checked out?
Old 12-14-2017, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I dunno, Dan, I hear the experts saying batteries in these newest luxe cars, with huge electrical demands, may only last 2 - 3 years. If one is a heavy user of heated features (seats, supp heater, steering wheel, rear defrost, etc.), that may be our new reality.

Don't you guys have a battery meter of some sort within your MMI systems? Our cars all do.

We had an extreme cold snap a few years ago and I was watching the battery meter in my A4. It was dropping down to about 30% (I believe this readout is battery life, not state of charge), but I wasn't seeing any other issues. I did a quick scan with VCDS and saw the BEM module had switched on the conservation mode a month earlier. I wasn't seeing anything else, but knew the battery was 3.5 yrs old, original OEM part, and not an AGM style. I did replace the battery at that point with an AGM.

Pork, it's my belief that if you let the battery go completely dead, and aren't proactive, you open a whole new can of worms with issues and problems around the car...
Old 12-14-2017, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

@uberwgn: Yeah i am trying to get a battery here but dealers refuse to give me part number or specs on the battery and i am not about to buy blindly with a worse battery than i have (asking $230+tax and anywhere from $210-$350 to "code" it). Looking at third party batteries but having a hard time finding 95R/H9 batteries.'

I drove 100ish kms today and car seems to be behaving better as the battery got charged up.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I contacted my shop yesterday and got a price on an AGM battery just in case I need to replace mine. $385 installed. I plan to hook up the VAG and see what it says about my battery and decide from there.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

In US, quoted $211 (battery only) for the newer (DL, 110Ah, 850CCa).

Original flooded: 4G0 915 105 E
superseded by 000915105DL

Have not bought it yet, almost 5 years and original still good, I'm impressed, think it's better then most down here in the heat because its in the trunk away from engine heat maybe...
Old 12-16-2017, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
This VCDS screen is quite handy in determining where your battery is at:

Attachment 73583

I replaced this battery.
I'll start by saying I must be a dumb-***. I searched online and at Ross Tech and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get to the above displayed screen in the VCDS software. Can someone please post a step by step or a link to one so I can check out my battery? Thanks!

Last edited by DanfZX14; 12-21-2017 at 04:00 AM.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
I'll start by saying I must be a dumb-***. I search online and at Ross Tech and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get to the above displayed screen in the VCDS software. Can someone please post a step by step or a link to one so I can check out my battery? Thanks!
+1 Couldn't find it either., anyone know?
Old 12-21-2017, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JRomulus
+1 Couldn't find it either., anyone know?
+2!

Quick Reply: A6 C7 car battery replacement