Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 Replacement Key + Programming Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 Replacement Key + Programming Recommendation

Guys,

Need some guidance. My son dropped our key from car by mistake and another car ran over it So, I need a new key for 2012 A6. I know that I need part # 8K0-959-754-B -TKE. Question. For folks who've needed it, have you always done through Audi dealership for replacement key and programming. Dealership is asking for $250 for key + 150 for programming!

I see that a key can be had from ebay for ~100. Is that recommended? Also, can someone else program these keys or does it have to be the Audi dealer? Ofcourse, I want to ensure all features (keyless entry, etc) work as with original key.

Thoughts or recommendations, based on your experience?

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2017, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

AFAIK the key needs to be programmed using an official VAG tool (I could be mistaken). Some indy shops have them (mine does), and may be able to do it. I would not buy one on eBay, but that is up to you. When I bought my car, the dealer promised me a replacement, since the car only had one key. They wanted $350 for the job, but did it free when I told them the salesperson promised me a replacement.

Was the key totally destroyed? If not, I might be able to repair it.

Originally Posted by dcmetro
Guys,

Need some guidance. My son dropped our key from car by mistake and another car ran over it So, I need a new key for 2012 A6. I know that I need part # 8K0-959-754-B -TKE. Question. For folks who've needed it, have you always done through Audi dealership for replacement key and programming. Dealership is asking for $250 for key + 150 for programming!

I see that a key can be had from ebay for ~100. Is that recommended? Also, can someone else program these keys or does it have to be the Audi dealer? Ofcourse, I want to ensure all features (keyless entry, etc) work as with original key.

Thoughts or recommendations, based on your experience?

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2017, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Nakedhoof
AFAIK the key needs to be programmed using an official VAG tool (I could be mistaken). Some indy shops have them (mine does), and may be able to do it. I would not buy one on eBay, but that is up to you. When I bought my car, the dealer promised me a replacement, since the car only had one key. They wanted $350 for the job, but did it free when I told them the salesperson promised me a replacement.

Was the key totally destroyed? If not, I might be able to repair it.
Before you go to the dealer, there are independent locksmith places that may have the tools to replicate as you wish. There's such a place here in Seattle which charges less than 1/2 of what the dealer does and offers the same service.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
Before you go to the dealer, there are independent locksmith places that may have the tools to replicate as you wish. There's such a place here in Seattle which charges less than 1/2 of what the dealer does and offers the same service.
What would be the name of this place? Audi of Seattle wants $395 for a new key & programming, would be nice to save a few bucks.