Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 vs 535xi--Objective Test Drive-and My Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by teddyoh
ps: PsychDoc repeatedly decries the almost MSRP sales price of the 2012 A6 vs. the spectacular 11% off MSRP of the 2011 535xi. PLEASE quote me the specs and final price you got on your amazing BMW deal. I would wager that it is still more expensive than a similarly equipped A6. Ever shop at a furniture store, or how about a jewelry store? EVERY ITEM in stock is on sale! They mark it up and then say "SALE, 25% OFF!" People always feel they are getting a deal if it is on sale. Also, the A6 offers 3 things over the 535xi that you just cannot deny:

1) Quattro. xDrive is not in the same league.
2) Interior features like MMI, Audi Connect and NAV are all well ahead of BMW.
3) IT'S A 2012 MODEL - 1 YEAR NEWER!!!!!! Wonder how much Audi will be discounting in a year? Not a fair comparison!
I bought the 535xi with PP1/PP2 and top/side cameras. MSRP of this configuration is $61,325. My price was $54,595. If you do the math you'll see that's an 11% discount. I agree with you about #2 and 3. I don't think the quatro system has any clear advantage over x-drive at all. I'd call that pretty much a draw.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
I bought the 535xi with PP1/PP2 and top/side cameras. MSRP of this configuration is $61,325. My price was $54,595. If you do the math you'll see that's an 11% discount. I agree with you about #2 and 3. I don't think the quatro system has any clear advantage over x-drive at all. I'd call that pretty much a draw.
That sounds like a steal!
Can you share the dealer info as I am looking to replace my S4 pretty soon.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by R8-opie
BT-Audio for example is standard in the BMWs and nowhere to be found in the Audi.
I tested BT Audio in the A6 demo I drove a couple of weeks ago and was able to play straight from my iPhone after first pairing the phone.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

If anyone feels that x-drive is as good as quattro when it comes to handling then they are off their trolley, especially if they pick sportdiff which sharpens everything up.

Price is one thing but don't come on here trying to claim you have picked the 5 series because you are getting as good a car for less, it's cheaper for a reason that has clearly escaped you.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Gear Junky
If anyone feels that x-drive is as good as quattro when it comes to handling then they are off their trolley, especially if they pick sportdiff which sharpens everything up.

Price is one thing but don't come on here trying to claim you have picked the 5 series because you are getting as good a car for less, it's cheaper for a reason that has clearly escaped you.
Wow, you guys sure are touchy!
Enjoy your car.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
Wow, you guys sure are touchy!
Maybe so, but this is an Audi forum after all. This kinda turned into a BMW owners thread so maybe it should have moved over to a bimmer forum?
Old 07-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Not a nickle and dime proposition...

The direction of this thread reminded me of a funny story with an employee of mine. He went onto eBay and bought a diamond engagement ring. "It's a $10,000 diamond ring" he said super excited about his deal. He then proceeded to tell all of us "But I only paid $2,000 for it!! What a deal!"

I proceeded to tell him that what he bought was a $2,000 diamond. What you pay for it is still the value. If they could get $10,000 for it, they would have.

That being said, diamonds are mostly an appreciating asset - whereas a car is mostly a depreciated asset.

In the case for PsychDoc - I say have a great time with your BMW. We also have an X5 and it's great. But I don't buy the notion that one of the primary reasons for not going with an A6 is because you felt cheated out of a discount. Do we all like getting a "deal" - sure! Who doesn't. But you know who's making out with a deal? The dealer! You know they're still making money on your car or they wouldn't had made the offer.

With my new 2012 A6 order, it'll be my 12th car - and they're from all sorts of manufacturers. It's a losing financial game for sure - but I'm thankful (and I'm sure that most of us here will agree) that we're all fortunate enough to enjoy the opportunities to purchase and call these cars our own.

This will be my first Audi and I'm definitely excited. So let's have fun with it! This surely isn't a nickle and dime value proposition.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default My 2 cents..

Honestly, I think it's fair to say this comes down to personal preference - not much more. Each of these two cars is superior to the other in various ways - there is no clear winner.

My personal preference is the Audi (having also owned bimmers) but certainly the 535 deserves to be in the conversation...and the fun comparison will be once people have actually HAD the '12 A6 for a while and can speak based on experience rather than speculation.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Seattle A6
Honestly, I think it's fair to say this comes down to personal preference - not much more. Each of these two cars is superior to the other in various ways - there is no clear winner.

My personal preference is the Audi (having also owned bimmers) but certainly the 535 deserves to be in the conversation...and the fun comparison will be once people have actually HAD the '12 A6 for a while and can speak based on experience rather than speculation.
THIS.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

If anyone were to honestly think that x-drive is as good as the latest quattro with sportdiff then they are completely off their trolley. They are a world apart when driven to their potential.

Now if you buy the 535xi over the A6 3.0T because it's cheaper then that is fine, but don't think for one minute it's somehow better value because the reality is that it's cheaper due to it being an inferior product.

Quick Reply: A6 vs 535xi--Objective Test Drive-and My Dilemma