Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Active Lane Assist settings

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Active Lane Assist settings

I just picked up my new 2016 A6 (US version) The car is amazing and I absolutely love it. I have the drivers assistance package. The adaptive cruise control is wonderful; but the active lane assist leaves a bit to be desired.

I have read on the web that there are two settings for the ALA, an "early" and a "late" setting. Below are screen shots I have found from my car and from the web.

Under the Active Lane Assist menu on the picture I found from the web there are the options for "steering Assist" and "steering wheel vibration."

My car seems to only have the one for "steering wheel vibration." Any thoughts? Is there a way to change the software verision

From the Web

My Car.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a 2016 with driver assist as well. I believe the early intervention setting is not available in the US market. If so the car would more accurately follow the center of the lane. As is, the car drive like you are DWI and eventually inform you that that you need to take control of the steering. The computer can tell that your hands are not on the wheel as a result of no small steering inputs on your part. My personal feeling is that Audi has left out the more accurate setting for the US market because they don't want Americans to believe it is a self driving car or to stop paying attention to their driving.....probably a good move on their part. This is the US, after all and people will stop looking out the window and wonder why their car crashed as it was set on "automatic".
On a long drive it might might reduce fatigue or help in keeping you in your lane on the highways. It will fight you a bit if you try to change lanes if you do not use your directionals or there is a car in your blind spot. The important thing to understand is what these systems can do and what they cannot do. Enjoy your new car!
The following users liked this post:
wibba10 (07-10-2019)
Old 01-08-2016, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

This setting and others that are not available in USA vehicles, but are available elsewhere can be "coded" with vag-com. See C7 A6/A7 & S6/S& VAG COM list and help. I haven't done it since I don't own an A-6 yet.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

My US 2014 has the early enabled via VCDS. Those who say "not in the US" may be referring to 2016 only.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DB22
My US 2014 has the early enabled via VCDS. Those who say "not in the US" may be referring to 2016 only.
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I was a bit disappointed with the ALA, but overall the car is spectacular (2016 A6 2.0 Quattro with premium plus, driver assistance, winter package and the 19" wheels). The car is pure joy to drive and the main assistance feature I wanted was the ACC, which works great.

How well does the "early" setting work? I assume the hardware is the same on the 2016 A6 but they changed the settings?

Can I download an older version of the software? How does it work? I am new to VCDS.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:49 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

I believe the vibration only occurs when the system encounters a situation where it will be unable to correct and keep you in the lane. (This doesn't necessarily include manually steering out of lane.)
As for the early/late setting I thought I read this was incorporated into the drive select now, so it's dependent on mode i.e. Comfort vs. dynamic.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I may be wrong.. but It seems very impressive that Audi has realized possibly changed the programming?

Edit:
Seems problem solved = )

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 01-10-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1
I believe the vibration only occurs when the system encounters a situation where it will be unable to correct and keep you in the lane. (This doesn't necessarily include manually steering out of lane.)
As for the early/late setting I thought I read this was incorporated into the drive select now, so it's dependent on mode i.e. Comfort vs. dynamic.
The vibration occurs, if the feature is activated in the MMI, when you attempt to move the car to a different lane without using turn signal or a car is detected nearby when you attempt to change lanes. It will vibrate and fight you somewhat. If the car is not able to keep the car in your current lane the ALA indicator will change from green to yellow and the car will drift out. If you leave your hands off the wheel, after a few seconds the system will disengage and advise you to start taking control. Again, I think Audi doesn't want anyone to feel these are self driving cars.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've got a 2016 and have mine set to Early. It makes all the difference in the world.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

DB22, would you please share how you enabled the early setting with VCDS? I did a quick search and cannot find instructions anywhere. Thank you

Quick Reply: Active Lane Assist settings