Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Advice needed

This morning a full cup of coffee was spilled on the front passenger seat. While we sopped up what we could, as quickly as we could, we seem to have an issue.
The Airbag fault lite on the dash is on and the passenger side airbag always says off even when the seat is occupied. I assume some liquid got into the electrical connectors. I have set up a fan in the car to attempt to dry things out and will leave it on overnight.
Is this liable to have damaged the connections to the point I will have to have them replaced? If the airbag fault lite goes off and the airbag on lite comes on when the seat is occupied, do you think I am in the clear?
All thoughts welcome.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:56 AM
DDM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how the weight sensor works but coffee is acidic and will conduct electricity, so I'm guessing that some got into the sensor and/or connectors. Hopefully once it dries the fault will clear but that may take a while. Probably best to clean or replace the sensor. Maybe someone with the service manual can tell you how to get at it.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Update, I left the fan on overnight and this morning, the airbag fault light is off and the airbag off light does go off when the seat is occupied.
Any followup thoughts would still be appreciated.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

The occupant sensor is more of a pressure sensing bladder pad, which covers the majority of the seat surface, minus the leg bolster sides and a few, maybe inch wide notches down the center. The connector is at the rear corner, which I am guessing the coffee shorted out. I believe the controller under the seat requires a closed circuit at a specific resistance for normal operation.

Failed occupant sensors are usually bypassed with a simple short connector, either manufactured or DIY with either a resistor or specific gauge wire. This leads the vehicle to believe that the seat is always occupied. Pretty sure VCDS can also disable this function. Sure beats the alternative of a replacement bladder at $900, plus hours of labor.

If you have the cold weather package (Heated seats), check its function before using the seat again. If it is working, it is a good way of helping dry out the seat.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by xanmato
The occupant sensor is more of a pressure sensing bladder pad, which covers the majority of the seat surface, minus the leg bolster sides and a few, maybe inch wide notches down the center. The connector is at the rear corner, which I am guessing the coffee shorted out. I believe the controller under the seat requires a closed circuit at a specific resistance for normal operation.

Failed occupant sensors are usually bypassed with a simple short connector, either manufactured or DIY with either a resistor or specific gauge wire. This leads the vehicle to believe that the seat is always occupied. Pretty sure VCDS can also disable this function. Sure beats the alternative of a replacement bladder at $900, plus hours of labor.

If you have the cold weather package (Heated seats), check its function before using the seat again. If it is working, it is a good way of helping dry out the seat.
I wonder why I didn't think of that. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
I wonder why I didn't think of that. Thanks.
Sometimes we need someone to tell us to do the obvious...
Old 09-21-2017, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
Kind of like looking for my reading glasses that are perched atop my head. LOL
Old 09-21-2017, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
Ya mean like turning on the seat ventilation fan?
Old 09-22-2017, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Ya mean like turning on the seat ventilation fan?
In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't turn on the seat heater or the seat vent fans. If there was liquid across some contacts, that could have been a recipe for disaster, or at the least a blown fuse.