Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi A6....I might like you.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A6....I might like you.....

Hello folks –possible Audi owner here….

Back in August 2011, I decided it was time for a new car and set off to explore the options. The story is long as grim, so I’ll summarize in 25 words or less: Ordered a BMW 535i, Dealer ordered the wrong car, BMW off the Xmas list, hated the Jaguar XF, and bought a Mercedes E350.

Now, zooming ahead to the present (though not too swiftly, I am in a E350 Benz) I’ve decided that theE350 just isn’t the car for me and I’m going to switch it out.

So, let’s talk Audi. I’ll be honest, until recently I assumed Audi’s were for people with a precisely sharpened number 2 pencil collection, with or without spreadsheet fetishes. I realize this was an unfair perception and I don’t even know exactly where it came from, but as a result I never even considered Audi as an option when looking for a new car. In fairness, I had a similar thought about BMW, only that BMWs were for people with mirrored sunglasses, sweater vests and an award for being ***-tastic. I’ve now revised my BMW perception to: “BMWs are for people that want a nice well-built car and are willing to risk the dealer screwing up their order” – but I digress….

The new 2012 A6 has caught my eye, and perhaps more importantly - my wallet - since I’m pretty sure I qualify for the supplier discount. At first glance, I decided the car’s design made it look like I’d be driving a Cylon’s face (if you don’t know what a Cylon is….there may be no hope for you) but after staring at it for a while, it seems to have grown on me. I’ve yet to actually drive that car and I’ve looked at some reviews, but there are some questions I can’t seem to get answers to. I figured you fine folks might be able to help (once you’ve finished sharpening your pencils, of course).

1.Navigation is powered by Google Maps and Audi Connect….what if I don’t what to have a data subscription…does the Nav stop functioning?

2.Seats – I’ve seen at least two references to massage seat in the A6, yet I can’t find it anywhere on the options list….true or false…massage seat in the A6?

3.How quick is this thing really. Multiple sources quote anything form 5.8 sec 0-60 down to 5.2. Naturally it will vary with conditions but, any “butt in the seat” verification? Will in really beat a BMW 535i…what about a 2012 XF?

4.How long will it be before the flip up Nav screen flips you off and fails to operate?...any issues?

5.The graphic nav display in the gauge cluster – is that standard (assuming you have Nav).

6.I’m also looking at the new 2012 Jaguar XF (much better design than the prior model) and I’m still considering buying mirrored sunglasses and joining the BMW crew…..thoughts on how the A6 stacks up? – Though I guess it’s a silly question to ask an Audi group for options on Audi versus Jag / BMW ;-)

Thanks all,

Allan.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Treozen
1.Navigation is powered by Google Maps and Audi Connect….what if I don’t what to have a data subscription…does the Nav stop functioning?

2.Seats – I’ve seen at least two references to massage seat in the A6, yet I can’t find it anywhere on the options list….true or false…massage seat in the A6?

3.How quick is this thing really. Multiple sources quote anything form 5.8 sec 0-60 down to 5.2. Naturally it will vary with conditions but, any “butt in the seat” verification? Will in really beat a BMW 535i…what about a 2012 XF?

4.How long will it be before the flip up Nav screen flips you off and fails to operate?...any issues?

5.The graphic nav display in the gauge cluster – is that standard (assuming you have Nav).

6.I’m also looking at the new 2012 Jaguar XF (much better design than the prior model) and I’m still considering buying mirrored sunglasses and joining the BMW crew…..thoughts on how the A6 stacks up? – Though I guess it’s a silly question to ask an Audi group for options on Audi versus Jag / BMW ;-)

Thanks all,
Allan.
1. Incorrect. Nav is powered by a harddisk based data set in the car, you get additional data with a connection, namely Google EARTH, online destinations, traffic (Sirius based), plus a couple others.
2. Not available in USA spec cars, other than the A8 (I think).
3. Don't know, don't care. Its not as fast as my Corvette, but then its not supposed to be. Never driven a BMW. 6/10s of a second is totally useless outside a fuely.
4. Was also one of my questions. The screen has been in use in the A8 for awhile so its not new technology. Otherwise, anything can break at any time.
5. Believe so, but may be tied to trim level. Not sure.
6. Jags are nice to look at, and you do that a lot to my understanding, mostly because they won't run. YMMV
Old 03-19-2012, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've owned 3 BMW's in the past and this is my first Audi. I've only had it for two weeks, but a few thoughts... (and answers where applicable).

1. More like "Navigation is ENHANCED by Google Maps". Really, it's just a map mode where you can overlay the Google Maps data (useless to me, as I'm more interested in a traditional map). You can search for destinations through Google though, and that really IS useful. Regardless, Nav works without Google.

2. No massage seats.

3. I have an M3, and it's not as fast as that. It's not really 'fast', but it's not 'slow' either. You won't win a lot of stop light drags, but you'll have no problem on on ramps, and this things not for stoplight drags anyway.

4. Flip up Nav Screen rules. After you've had any car with Nav, you realize that after you're familiar with things, the screen doesn't need to be used all the time, and I find the light distracting. I just tuck it away. No idea on its reliability.

5. I THINK it's standard. If you get Prestige you'll get it for sure.

6. No opinion on the Jag - didn't consider it (mainly because I had a Range Rover Sport before, and the service dept sucked. RR and Jag are basically sister companies, so I didn't want to go there).

This is the NICEST car I've ever owned. I keep saying that every time I get in (which isn't every day - mainly wife's daily driver).

Also, I've had some sort of voice control in probably the last 5 cars I've owned. This one works. Very well. (Although, I'm not sure if that's because it's 'Audi' or if the voice-control tech has just advanced more as time goes on). Either way, I've found it useless in every vehicle prior to this one. In the past I've had trouble with it understanding me even giving it the pre-set commands, but the A6 seems to understand even the open-ended commands. ("Online Destinations: XXwhatveryouwanthereXX").
Old 03-19-2012, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just go test drive one, it is a phenomenal car every which way. i hate the 535 it looks so small and just a slightly bigger version of the three series. Infact if you debadged one i think i would have a hard time knowing which is which (and im an avid car guy)

1) No, you do not lose it.

2) I think US gets the option for massaging seats in 2013 model year, possibly 2014. Personally i think they are stupid but thats my opinion

3) Acceleration is awesome, i would respectively put it at 6 seconds flat. +- .3 seconds.

4)only time will tell, they are still new. 6 months old and zero issues

5) im pretty sure its standard across all the models. Its awesome !

6) Uhh, i wouldnt even put them in the same basket. The jags suck imo and the last one i got into it honestly felt like it was going to fall apart. Besides, if you buy a jag you will get to know your service manager really well, if you catch my drift

The A6 smashes the 5 series in every way. Honestly if you want a 5 series save yourself 10 grand and get your self a loaded f30 3 series. That has more tech and is much better layed out then the new 5 series. And they look the same, stick a 5 series badge on the back and no one will know the difference

A6 also slaughters the BMW in the tech area
Old 03-19-2012, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

If you're curious about acceleration between the 535i and A6, look at this video about 4 minutes in:

http://youtu.be/O0rMdjqNxMI
Old 03-19-2012, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice first post lol.. i like the analogies.... Hope you are ready for my lengthy response.

This will be my first Audi... I ordered it 7 weeks ago, and just got the phone call 20 minutes ago that she came in!! (still another 5 days or so for pick up time)

I am a man of value, and thus, have owned 5 Acura's in a very, very short period of time ( i have a problem with buying a new car every 18-24 months)

I originally fell in love with the Hype behind the new GS350 F Sport...it wasnt in showrooms yet, but I said to myself, I should go kick the tires on all the competitors. A recent promotion at work, has landed me the ability to upgrade....

Now. I know A LOT about cars...I tried everything, priced, research residual and resale values, and came up with this

1) BMW 535xi... Nice car, Average $10k more... everybody has one. Wasn't impressed with the overall interior, but man, nothing drives like a BMW (actually, the 3 series handles nicer, but anyways)

2) Benz E350... also, about $10k more, but a lot of wiggle room for negotiating. My brother in law has one, and I'm not impressed. (sorry to insult you)... E550 4Matic would be nice, but way too pricey for me. Also, I never liked Benz handling.. feels boaty, large, and a lot of sway.... My family had a CLK55 a few years back, piece of crap IMO... Again... EVERYBODY has one (i live on Long Island, so...)

3) Jaguar... Too big, Too pricey, poor resale value... unreliable cars.... I had a very bad experience with Jag as a kid (wrecked my mothers brand new 1996 XJ8L Vanden Plas)

4) Lexus GS350F... YIKES! I used to be a big "modifier, body kit kind of person) but Jeez Lexus... talk about OVERKILL on the aesthetics... Trying way to hard to appeal to the younger generation who has money. The last GS350 failed... HARD... Lexus was moments away from scrapping the entire GS line... this was their last attempt, and it was a desperate one IMO... Plus the car is slowed, drives way too stiff... Only positive thing, i really loved the interior

5) Infinity M37... Sorry, I am not paying almost $60k for a super Maxima.

6) Acura RL... Should have purchased because I am a die-hard fan, but its outdated, overpriced, and slow as molasses.

and LASTLY

7) Audi A6... Never considered Audi either... My mother bough an S5 cabrio 2 years back, sweet car... So i decided to take a look

- LED headlights... BAD ***
- Power - Its there... AND 28MPG
- Technology.. superb!
- Interior - beautiful... i do wish it had Sport Seats though... these are kind of blah

Just my 47 cents
Old 03-19-2012, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the replies and good info..

No-offense taken on the E350 - It really is a good car and does the job it was intended for superbly – that is, as a way to roll around the hood-ornament and have people look at it. It’s solid, comfortable and likely reliable – but it’s not sporty or quick and if I’m honest, lacks personality / soul.

I agree the 5-series has a definite 3-series look (or vice versa) and while I like the design in general, the nose is wrong from multiple angles.

Yes – I’m looking at Prestige (Ibis White or Ice Silver Metallic, probably)

The draw for me on the Jaguar XF is the 385 HP V8 – I’ve generally always driven V8s – I’ve only had two v6’s and both were disappointing (granted, the first was like 15 years ago, so old tech). The A6 seems to put out V8-like numbers, but I guess a drive is in order. I could opt for a 550i or E550, but the premium price tag you pay for those two extra cylinders is a little nuts IMHO. I also like the style (esp with the new headlights) but the depreciation is horrific - at least $7k more than the A6 in the 1st year. The Jag costs less for the options I need and has 4 years / 50,000 free maintenance, but if I qualify for the supplier price (I work for T-Mobile, so I should) the A6 narrows that gap and comes with all-wheel drive, which for me is not necessary, but I’ll take it.

The last Jag I had was a ’83 XJ6 - it was so bad I swapped its running gear for a Chevy 350.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I love that video between the BMW and the Audi. It smells of propaganda. But as I side with the winner, I like it....alot!
Old 03-19-2012, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tampak
I love that video between the BMW and the Audi. It smells of propaganda. But as I side with the winner, I like it....alot!
that is a good video...

BTW: thats why superchargers are better then turbos in every way possible

my mini is turbo'ed and i HATE every bit about it.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tampak
Its no propaganda, I noticed a lot of lag in the 535ix when I step on it during my test drive..

Quick Reply: Audi A6....I might like you.....