Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi navigation: worst in industry?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Just picked up a new iPhone 4 Tried the maps program was able to program and receive turn by turn directions to those two locations that Audi was unable to find. I'm sure I'm the problem
Old 06-03-2013, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

While the front-end is all Audi, the maps and direction algorithms are sourced from a third party - likely Navteq. If an address is wonky, it's not really Audi's fault. When I moved to my new neighbourhood just over a year ago, I had to e-mail Google to let them know that they put my address in an area miles away.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
Just picked up a new iPhone 4 Tried the maps program was able to program and receive turn by turn directions to those two locations that Audi was unable to find. I'm sure I'm the problem
You have an a6, why would you buy and new iPhone 4? What happened to the 5?
Old 06-03-2013, 09:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
Just picked up an A6 tonight and brought back a 2010 A5 I had on lease. I thought the 2010 version was horrible but this is almost as bad

Using voice command I entered very simple addresses. Here are a couple of examples: 1815 Hilltop drive, elgin IL or 5043 Fletcher street Chicago IL. They return addresses in different cities in different state. Once I got Collinsville IL. On other addresses the system said the address could not be found

What's worse is I can't even get my home address to register. The closest I can get is somewhere down the street. All addresses tried have been there for between 25 and 100 years, so this is not new construction.

Of the 5 entered only 1 worked
Just out of my own curiosity, I put "5043 W Fletcher Street, Chicago IL" through voice command on my Audi, and the Nav recognized it instantly. Admitting that it did have problem in getting through "1815 Hilltop Road, Elgin IL" on the first try. So, to check if the address existed in Audi's Nav, I went through step by step by 'Enter City / ZIP CODE', 'Enter Street', 'Enter house Number', and it worked flawlessly (I first had to use Zip Code 60120, as I was pronouncing the city 'El geen', as in Canadian English, which should have been pronounced 'El jin'). However, once I pronounced the city name correctly, my Nav accepted it immediately.

The Nav did not recognize the '11N250' in the "11N250 Glen Street, Elgin IL", but it did recognize 11 Glen Street, Elgin IL. When viewed on the Audi's Google Earth, this address closely matched Google Maps on my laptop.

All this to say, while there maybe hits and misses (many more hits than misses in my case), there are alternate ways to get the address into the Nav.

BTW: I am of Indian (South Asian) origin and despite living in NA for a while now, do sometime have that peculiar accent creeping into my speech, but Audi's Nav has no problem recognizing it. OTOH, despite all the training, searching by contact names of my Indian friends results invariably in a miss - unless I anglicize it and butcher the name.

Last edited by dukeland; 06-03-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by salvadorik
Speaking about its own nav map, do you you think (or in your experience) the dealers will install the newest map free of charge? That would be really cool to have the latest nav map. Thx
Got a quote from the dealer for the 2013/2014 map, part alone 330 plus 2 hr labor.
They told me it is a PITA to do. They will have to order the SD card, then they have to download the map onto the SD card, finally load that onto the car. They told me they had only did that once.

The NAV failed me completely around VA, route me onto the EZ Pass lane and not knowing that the exits are on the left. But 500+ for an update sound excessive consider the Nav on the phone is just as good :-)
Old 06-21-2013, 08:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The map disc costs is such a crock. Cannot wait until the day when the in-car nav systems can be seamlessly replaced by smartphones.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I haven't really had many issues entering addresses into the Nav system, I REALLY like using Google Maps from my desktop computer, finding the location I want, and sending it to the car. We recently took a fairly long driving trip and I just loaded up all the hotels and stops that I wanted to make. Just takes a couple seconds. Much faster than entering addresses when you're in the car. Even if the map in the car doesn't have your address, you can use the Google coordinates to get there.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by craignhp
While I haven't really had many issues entering addresses into the Nav system, I REALLY like using Google Maps from my desktop computer, finding the location I want, and sending it to the car. We recently took a fairly long driving trip and I just loaded up all the hotels and stops that I wanted to make. Just takes a couple seconds. Much faster than entering addresses when you're in the car. Even if the map in the car doesn't have your address, you can use the Google coordinates to get there.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do you do that?
Old 06-22-2013, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

Here you go (you need to have Audi Connect activated by T-Mobile):

http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/11...Resolution.pdf
Old 06-24-2013, 08:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Here you go (you need to have Audi Connect activated by T-Mobile):

http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/11...Resolution.pdf
Thanks for the link! I love that tool.

Quick Reply: Audi navigation: worst in industry?