Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Fuel Injector Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Injector Leak

I have a 2012 A6 with about 10,000 miles and love the car. Last week while driving there was a strong smell of gasoline in the passenger compartment. I wasn't far from the dealer so went straight there.

I've been told that an O ring on the fuel injectors blew or leaked causing the problem. The service manager told me that there have been similar problems with other A6s and that in response Audi changed the torque specifications on the fuel injectors/lid.

The problem is that I have twice now been told the car was repaired and ready to pick up only to find that it still reaks of gasoline fumes both under the hood and in the passenger compartment. The car remains at the dealer who is going to detail the engine and interior hoping to eliminate the gasoline smell. They also apparently replaced the air filter with a carbon filter and plan on using some type of aerial bomb in the passenger compartment designed to absorb fumes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can get the car back next week.

Has anyone had similar problems or experience eliminating the smell of gasoline?
Old 11-03-2012, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about this, but no smell in my A6 about 6K kms. I would contact Audi America & report the case to be on safe side. They are normally good & would probably contact dealer if unsatisfied with work done. Good luck.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have 2012 a6 3.0T. 28K on odometer no such a problem has been observed. It had oil leak in the front differential though at about 5K. But other than that solid as a rock. I drive pretty hard and no leaks or any other problems.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rwlaw
Has anyone had similar problems or experience eliminating the smell of gasoline?
From the A7 side

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2824319
Old 11-04-2012, 01:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't have the problem on my 2.0T. But I used to have a Lexus IS 250 and there was a safety recall for an improperly tightened fuel pressure sensor gasket. I didn't have this problem either, but at least Lexus deemed it a serious safety issue, which it was because fuel leaking onto the many hot objects in the engine bay could catch fire. So they recalled all the cars, gave us each a loaner and a full tank of gas, and took care of it. This was of course after the big Toyota unintended acceleration incidents. Unfortunately, it seems Audi doesn't have the same attitude.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The dealer has been very courteos and professional and has given me a new A8 as a loaner. I can't complaint about that. The A8 is a great car but I'm partial to the drive of my A6 and am hoping to hear good news that the problem is resolved today or tomorrow so that I can get my A6 back.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My fuel injector O-ring blew this week on my 2012 A6 with 15,000 miles. MLI indicator light came on, and strong smell of gasoline outside the car. Was 60 miles from nearest dealer, and didn't make it. Had to be towed last mile. Audi has no O-rings in stock, and I am currently waiting for the part to arrive from Germany. This is highly inconvenient as my car is 170 miles from my house.

This is my second warranty claim. At 3,000 miles the side-assist stopped working - that part also had to come from Germany.

This is my first Audi. Does Audi keep any parts in the U.S.?
Old 11-29-2013, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Norbridge
My fuel injector O-ring blew this week on my 2012 A6 with 15,000 miles. MLI indicator light came on, and strong smell of gasoline outside the car. Was 60 miles from nearest dealer, and didn't make it. Had to be towed last mile. Audi has no O-rings in stock, and I am currently waiting for the part to arrive from Germany. This is highly inconvenient as my car is 170 miles from my house.

This is my second warranty claim. At 3,000 miles the side-assist stopped working - that part also had to come from Germany.

When I owned my mercedes a gas shock needed to be replaced and I asked when will that be here and installed etc, their response, "There is a German holiday right now so we don't know." Needless to say I was upset but they gave me a rental free of charge. I guess owning luxury european cars comes at this price.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:51 AM
Banned

VW and Audi have been like that with their parts for eternity. I distinctly remember my friend who had a new TT when it first came out. There was a problem with the fuel gauge. It took Audi 2 months to get the part. As a result, they paid his lease payments while he was stuck with a complimentary Chrysler Sebring. The horror. The horror! That was in 2000 I think.

VWAG must have some sort of just-in-time system for their dealer parts. I guess waiting is cheaper than warehousing.

I've had to wait a few days for MB parts before. I think MB now uses Amazon for fulfillment, which is neat. A lot of their stuff now gets in overnight.

Originally Posted by Norbridge