Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Automatic Car Washes, and Car Waxes

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Automatic Car Washes, and Car Waxes

Have a Phantom Black Pearl Metallic 2013 Prestige. Questions:

1. Is it OK to go to car washes that are not 'touchless'?

2. What is a good ca wax were I to wash and wax the car myself. In the old day, NuFinish was pretty good...don't know anymore...

Thanks folks!
Old 10-08-2013, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will get a ton of comments on this. First I never ever use any car wash. When I leased I had a mobile guy I would let wash the cars, now that I own again I am the only one that touches the car. I am not as **** as some on this forum, just don't have the time. I did pick up a foam gun (to use on regular garden hose) and use Chemical Guys Mr. Pink and it works great and I can wash and dry entire car in under 30 minutes. I am a big Meguairs #21 fan for sealant, but this time I am trying Rejex which I am just loving so far. You have to be careful not to get it on porous rubber, but it goes on easy, comes off easy and dirt just does not want to stick. The biggest issue with it is that you need to apply it, wipe it off then the car should sit int he garage 8-12 hours for it to cure. Not a big deal for me, but can be a pain for many. Granted I have a silver car so maintaining the finish is far easier than black.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. No. It's not okay. Even with a touch-less car wash, you're subjecting it to who knows what chemicals that may or may not strip wax and do other damage to the paint.

2. Wax? There are tons of them out there. I would suggest a sealant instead because it lasts longer. Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 is very good. But there are also spray sealants out there that are good for regular applications.

I suggest you look into some easy solutions that don't require much water and can be done with little effort:

Best:
http://www.detailedimage.com/Pro-Kit...-Wax-Kit-P442/

Better:
http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Pack...with-ONR-P420/

Good:
http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Pack...with-ONR-P419/

If you decide to use ONR for, I'd suggest a few plush microfiber towels rather than a sponge or wash mitt. Also, if you drop the sponge, wash mitt, or towel on the ground, you might as well throw it away because it's going to pick up dirt from the ground and you'll end up scratching your black paint.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Car washes will leave swirl marks and fine scratches in your paint.

The fact that you have black means those marks will be more visible than with other colors.

If you love your car and want to maintain the paint as best you can, then you should never use an auto car wash. Hand washing, using the proper two-bucket method is the only way to go.

Last edited by subterFUSE; 10-08-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by goethe6889
Have a Phantom Black Pearl Metallic 2013 Prestige. Questions:

1. Is it OK to go to car washes that are not 'touchless'?

2. What is a good ca wax were I to wash and wax the car myself. In the old day, NuFinish was pretty good...don't know anymore...

Thanks folks!
1. Only if you want to see brush marks, micro marring, swirls, etc in your paint finish. I avoid all car washes and do it myself. Particularly with a black car, you will notice everything. I would suggest you go here and read up if you are really interested

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/

and search for two bucket wash method.

I myself use a foaming lance connected to a pressure washer, and a leaf blower to dry the car but some may consider that extreme.

2. Lots of choices out there. I would recommend a long lasting sealant like CQuartz which is my choice, or 22PLE, Gtechniq or Opticoat. You can search the autogeekonline site for info on any of those

Or, if you want to stay simple and economical, Duragloss can not be beat. On a new car, use Duragloss 105 mixed with 601 for about 6 months of protection. Or for a car where the paint is not brand new, use a first coat of Duragloss 501/601 followed by Duragloss 105/601.

501 is listed as a Marine Polish - but it is perfectly safe for vehicles. It not only deep cleans your paint, but also has diminishing abrasive polish and leaves behind a surface protectant. think of it similiar to an all in one cleaner wax on steroids. If you apply it with Duragloss 601, which Duragloss describes as a " similar to an epoxy (A&B) and bonds chemically when it comes into contact with durable polishes. Duragloss PBA will double the durability and protection of polishes when applied prior to polishing", you basically double the protection.

total cost for all three - 501, 601 and 105 may be about $25 total

Here is their website - but honestly it doesn't hype things - very basic

http://www.duragloss.com/index.php?route=common/home

If you want to see what this can really do, read some of these links

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...r-wax-aio.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...oss-501-a.html
Old 10-09-2013, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No touchless or non-touch car wash places for me .... always hand wash even in the Winter time. But that's me. If there are swirl marks, it better come from me.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

I will add to my comments above that it would be a great idea to consider OptiCoat sealant. Had my car done a few weeks ago and have been thrilled with the results.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

This:

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
I will add to my comments above that it would be a great idea to consider OptiCoat sealant. Had my car done a few weeks ago and have been thrilled with the results.
It's essentially a long-term solution.

Name:  opticoata.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  52.9 KB
Old 10-09-2013, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds like I will be in the minority here.

In the summer, I am a two bucket hand wash only guy. In the winter, I occasionally use a TOUCHLESS car wash, and then just the basic wash (no wax). As I have commented here, Colorado uses mag chloride and sand on the roads - I hate leaving that stuff on the car. IMHO, the risk of a touchless wash is less than the risk of leaving that crap on the paint until I get a day warm enough to hand wash. I will NOT let the "polish" they use anywhere near the car.

jc
Old 10-09-2013, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am lucky in that I live outside ATL, so we only get a few weeks where temps get below freezing, and even then I have been **** enough to go out and wash the car as I was slipping on the forming ice under the car...

Quick Reply: Automatic Car Washes, and Car Waxes