Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Best tires for comfort

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Best tires for comfort

I have the original 20" tires on my 2013 A6 and dislike them, they seem to be pretty harsh ride and not too quiet. I've seen recommendations for Continental DWS and Michelin AS/3 as replacements, most seem to be commenting on the "performance" elements with AS/3 a bit "sportier", I have DWS on my truck and they are fine for that but not sure what they would be like on a sedan. I want more luxury, quiet, smooth.

My friend the former audi foreman swears by the Michelins but he likes to smoke through turns in an A8L squealing like a getaway driver. In that regard they work well but I am commuting 90% of the time and just want to maximize the smoothness of the ride and can sacrifice on lateral g force tolerances.

What are your thoughts for the most luxurious all season tire options? I don't intend to swap for smaller wheels, these 20's look small to me as it is, so I'm just looking for the best 20" I can find.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do some research on tirerack.com (no affiliation). They test more tires than I've heard of, and give ratings for performance, wear, and comfort.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

20" is a low profile tire. It's harsh and expensive. I would call Tire Rack or email them. Try doc@tirerack.com. Also check the tire pressures to conform to recommended pressure in the owner's manual rather than the door sticker. The door sticker is maximum for a full load. Fill tires when they are cold.
If you have the sports package suspension the ride is a bit stiff too.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Non sport suspension thankfully, and I do have them at door psi levels which I think are 44 and 46 front/rear so that may be adding to it. I'm wondering if anyone is running a taller sidewall than stock on the 20's to add a bit of cushion.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuba
Non sport suspension thankfully, and I do have them at door psi levels which I think are 44 and 46 front/rear so that may be adding to it. I'm wondering if anyone is running a taller sidewall than stock on the 20's to add a bit of cushion.
After much confusion, mainly caused by the door sticker, and then playing around with different tire pressures I ended up with 42 front & 39 rear. That change did decrease the harshness of the ride for me. I am predominantly the sole occupant. I do have the sport suspension so you mileage may vary!
Old 06-12-2017, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuba
Lower the pressures to 38 front, 36 rear. That should soften up the ride. To really make it soft, switch to a 19" or 18" wheel. The taller sidewall makes for a softer ride.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

FWIW, my experience on a different car was that the Michelins were somewhat harsher ride than the Conti DWS 06. Pirelli P7 AS Plus if comes in correct size for your car is a grand touring tire that has a pretty silky smooth ride (have it on wife's Volvo S80 T6 -- a big, heavy AWD car).

Best,
Jeff
Old 06-12-2017, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 20" wheels sports package with DWS06 40 psi front and 38 psi rear. Ride is comfortable
Old 06-12-2017, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Tire Rack was a good suggestion to get everyone started in deciding what one wants out of a tire.

different categories for different preferences. Personally I'm a hot-rod enthusiast that builds strong cars. So I want MAXIMUM tire response, and prefer high performance contact regardless of noise to keep me safe. So I went Michellin Pilot Super Sport.

If it's more a family car with casual driving then yes I'd change preference to a lower noise tire with less performance characteristics.

We all have different needs of our cars..... do your homework, and if necessary... buy a second set of rims and tires for differing seasons. = )

For what it's worth... when the Audi Presense kicks-in and your Audi slams on brakes for you to avoid a collision.... you definitely need a tire that does not skid to a stop and hit car in front. You need tire that sticks to ground like glue and keeps you from advancing any further.
Food for thought.

Edit:
2K for good set of 4 tires is less than 8K-14K or more in parts for front end collision and avoid a Salvage title for your car, not counting any physical harm to family.

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 06-12-2017 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

For more comfort, go to 19" wheels. I have the 19's and I run 36/34 psi and have fairly even treadwear.

Tire pressure will make a big difference.

Quick Reply: Best tires for comfort