Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Best way to hide front license plate screw holes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 07:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to hide front license plate screw holes?

Just removed my front license plate holder on my 2013 Audi A6 grille and of course there's 4 holes on the grille, I was wondering what would be your advice on how to cover these holes and make it look natural too.

I was thinking vinyl wrap as an option, if anyone has experienced with using vinyl wrap to cover the holes, do you think a carbon fiber vinyl wrap would look good on the grille or should I just stick with gloss black? Or maybe even do matte black?
Old 09-26-2016, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Another option is some have used black plastic plugs.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Get a new grill. You can even use this opportunity to upgrade to a black optics grill and get a whole new look.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Get a new grill. You can even use this opportunity to upgrade to a black optics grill and get a whole new look.
+1

I am all for saving cost wherever possible but every option I tried.. hole plugs, painted tape, black rtv razored thin... nothing looked clean.

I bought a clean black optics grille without holes and it was like day & night. So worth it!!!!!

There are some mods that unfortunately just need major money invested for best looks/results. This is definitely one of then in my opinion.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Perhaps these folks may have a solution......

https://www.bumperplugs.com/index.ph...gory&path=1_11
Old 09-27-2016, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by davidtx99
Just removed my front license plate holder on my 2013 Audi A6 grille and of course there's 4 holes on the grille, I was wondering what would be your advice on how to cover these holes and make it look natural too.

I was thinking vinyl wrap as an option, if anyone has experienced with using vinyl wrap to cover the holes, do you think a carbon fiber vinyl wrap would look good on the grille or should I just stick with gloss black? Or maybe even do matte black?
If I was to wrap the plate holder, I would first fill the holes with Bondo spot putty. I don't think it's a bad idea and you can change the types of vinyl to get the look you want.

The plate holder portion of the grill can be replaced for a OEM plate delete look. On my 2012 A7 the plate holder type insert has missing trim and the plate holder delete has horizontal bars across the face.

Here's a eBay listing for a A6 grill that has the plate delete filler. Not a bad price ($82 shipped) if someone wanted to repair the crack and paint it black for the black optic look or use it for parts.

2012 14 Audi A6 S6 Front Radiator Chrome Grill Grille | eBay
Old 09-30-2016, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A while ago there were some on one of the Porsche boards discussing the same problem. Apparently a Porsche fan had made a small plastic button-like device that could be painted body color and popped into the hole to cover it. Users were satisfied with it. I don't have any details or a photo but somme digging might find it, if it is still available.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any interest in selling me the front license plate holder? I bought my 2014 Audi A6 from a private party and it did not come with one and it is required in CA.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I have been driving here in CA for 20+ years and have not had a front plate for 10 of them - no issues
Old 11-14-2016, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver42
I have been driving here in CA for 20+ years and have not had a front plate for 10 of them - no issues
You guys that can get away with it bum me out. Here the state police will ticket you for not having a front plate! Car looks so much cleaner without one from all the photos I've seen...

Quick Reply: Best way to hide front license plate screw holes?