Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Beware of Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2023, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 356 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiAllTheWay
Try replacing the PCV Oil Separator in the valley of the V under the supercharger.
The oil separator with integrated PCV valve is the first thing I replaced because it blew the day I took delivery and the car started whistling and knocking. Whistling and knocking stopped after the replacement of the oil separator and PCV unit but that did not fix oil consumption.

Originally Posted by Glisse
The CREC variant is MPI is it not? So this degree of carbon build up is not typical...
Given your abilities, you may as well keep going on rebuilding the engine, decarbonising what you can along the way. Importing a replacement engine seems impractical.
The CREC variant is MPI and FSI. 12 injectors, two per cylinder. The intake valves are clean thanks to the constant MPI fuel spray at the back of them. The problem here is the pistons and rings. Rebuilding is a no/no for me. I don't have the machines and tools to perform such a repair and I have read on the Q7 MKII forum that some people went that route and regretted it. It's insane how many people have this problem with the Q7 as well. I wish I saw this thread before purchasing my A7. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...-year-3024173/

Originally Posted by ElliottA6
So a vehicle that has been maintained according to the manufacturer is good, but that may not not be good enough. The manufactures do not care because these problems only manifest themselves after the warranty has ended, after which they become the responsibility of the owner.
This is another piece of information I did not have. I thought anything out of an official brand dealership would be fine because they would be keeping up with maintenance. I was so wrong! It seems even local shops do a better job. I can never trust an official dealership again. I understand now why they are called "stealerships".

EDIT: Adding image of oil separator job.

Last edited by kelisko; 03-01-2023 at 03:53 AM.
Old 02-26-2023, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko
The oil separator with integrated PCV valve is the first thing I replaced because it blew the day I took delivery and the car started whistling and knocking. Whistling and knocking stopped after the replacement of the oil separator and PCV unit but that did not fix oil consumption.
Try a compression test and if any cylinders are low then try to scope the cylinders for evidence of vertical scoring in the walls. If deep scoring is present then suspect long term stuck open injector causing oil consumption. If this is the issue then it’s already too late for the block.
Old 02-26-2023, 11:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Try a compression test and if any cylinders are low then try to scope the cylinders for evidence of vertical scoring in the walls. If deep scoring is present then suspect long term stuck open injector causing oil consumption. If this is the issue then it’s already too late for the block.
No need. It is clear that the cylinder blocks are gone. It's what I explained in the video above and it's what most people in the Q7 thread I referenced above ended up discovering. I am not looking for solutions. This thread is to warn people.
The following users liked this post:
JBenDavid782 (08-03-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What is your summarized warning?

The lengthy video and the lengthy link are supporting documentation for what your describing but I didn’t have the time to get to the end of any of it.

I have a C6 A6 3.0T CCAA at 90,000KM using premium fuel and full synthetic and zero oil consumption so far. I decarb’d intake and did a major service at 60K since it’s non MPI early North American 3.0T and check every 5K - 10K for stuck injector. I replace thermostat and PCV Oil Separator as a maintenance item to minimize carbon buildup and avoid failure. Injectors have been replaced twice, once on recall and once by me since one was caught early stuck open. I send in my spare set of injectors for professional cleaning so they are ready for next install if / when needed. It’s more headache than most owners want to be involved with but it’s the way I have found to keep this engine running properly for a long time.

Old 02-27-2023, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

2012 C7 A6 3.0T non-MPI at 125,000KM’s and no oil consumption issues so far.

Old 02-27-2023, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 104 Likes on 93 Posts

227,000 miles on my A7.

oil consumption yes, dead motor no. There is another poster on the A7 board with many more miles than mine.

For the most part these engines will last a very long time. Defects or owner negligence towards maintenance are the main causes towards premature death.
Old 02-27-2023, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have a C6 A6 3.0T CCAA at 90,000KM...
90,000 km is what? 56,000 miles? Keep adding miles and come back after 100,000 miles or 160,000 km. Your engine is still too young for you to claim anything and yet you said you have replaced injectors twice and have replaced the oil separator as well. My advice is for people purchasing this car north of 60,000 miles or 100,000 km.

People, DON'T BUY!!! Lease and let go.
Old 02-27-2023, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Valpo A7
oil consumption yes...
Defects or owner negligence towards maintenance are the main causes towards premature death.
At least this guy admits his engine is eating oil.

My car was dealer maintained from start to finish yet the engine is failing. Same for a lot of people reporting this in this C7 forum and also in the Q7 MKII forum. Of course there are exceptions but a lot of people are reporting the same issues with cars still under warranty or barely outside of warranty. This can't be a coincidence.

We all love the brand but please let's not be fanatics defending the "undefendable".
The following users liked this post:
JBenDavid782 (08-03-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

90,000 km is what? 56,000 miles? Keep adding miles and come back after 100,000 miles or 160,000 km. Your engine is still too young for you to claim anything and yet you said you have replaced injectors twice and have replaced the oil separator as well. My advice is for people purchasing this car north of 60,000 miles or 100,000 km.

People, DON'T BUY!!! Lease and let go.
I shared a small part of my 3.0T maintenance history specific to guarding against oil consumption simply to show these engines need maintenance while they are “younger” in order to avoid the problem your experiencing after acquiring a used higher mileage vehicle. I am not here to argue. You are most understandably frustrated but I think you missed my point. I knew of the challenges supporting these engines which is why I bought slightly used at 2 years old and 22,000KM’s on it’s third oil change for half of new retail price. I think your higher mileage used C7 3.0T lacked a few pieces of critical engine maintenance items that have now accumulated to cause oil consumption and unfortunately have inherited a previous owner problem. No one sells a higher mileage used vehicle that does not need something especially a higher end Audi and sometimes a not-so-obvious problem is waiting to be discovered by the next buyer.

My recommendation along with hoist review inspection, diagnostic scans before and after test drives when buying used higher mileage is a compression test and some simple checks for leaking injectors. If a cylinder is low compression then walk away unless your looking for a project car and can buy it cheap.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 145 Likes on 118 Posts

Same for a lot of people reporting this in this C7 forum and also in the Q7 MKII forum. Of course there are exceptions but a lot of people are reporting the same issues with cars still under warranty or barely outside of warranty. This can't be a coincidence.
Most of the people not having issues are not posting. Also, not a coincidence.

The plural of anecdote is not data.
The following 2 users liked this post by urs6_ma:
JBenDavid782 (08-03-2023), keg97 (03-03-2024)

Quick Reply: Beware of Oil Consumption