Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Boost gauge pass through

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it appear that they might be viewable if you brought them both further around the clock position? Meaning that the boost gauge currently appears to be at 1 o'clock and the Aero at 11 o'clock, would they still be visible through most of your driving if you moved them to 2 and 10?
Old 06-15-2015, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Since your Aero gauge is electronic, what's the chances of taking it out of the case and mounting the works in one of the vent grills? You could trim the face down for a better fit.

The boost gauge looks mechanical and due to the bourdon tube, making it smaller might not be feasible.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Since your Aero gauge is electronic, what's the chances of taking it out of the case and mounting the works in one of the vent grills? You could trim the face down for a better fit.

The boost gauge looks mechanical and due to the bourdon tube, making it smaller might not be feasible.
You're talking about gauge type used on A4 models right? Ya know I thought about that for a bit, but then I'd have to eat my words that I don't like the vent gauge I've seen. ::SIGH::

Seems I'm running out of options though. Might just have to give that a try. My next gauge pod will be a custom piece mounting them in front of shifter down on console. Problem with that is the gauges are getting lower and lower moving my eye dangerously away from the road.

Originally Posted by BillBoost37
Does it appear that they might be viewable if you brought them both further around the clock position? Meaning that the boost gauge currently appears to be at 1 o'clock and the Aero at 11 o'clock, would they still be visible through most of your driving if you moved them to 2 and 10?
The gauge pod bottom is curved to match the curvature of steering wheel column cover, with winglets down to hug the sides of the column so not much left-to-right adjustment, only forward and back.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

I understand the pod in it's current form is not very adjustable. However, having been a Bonneville guy with nothing available.... I'm thinking outside of the piece you have currently and thinking in terms of "what if's". What if, those ears were lower... would they still be visible.

Given a bit of fiberglass and some sand paper, a lot of things are possible. Very very possible being that I was able to take this task on and was successful. If I can do it, surely anyone else can too.

I understand your desire to keep the gauges in sight. This was one of the reasons I suggested molding your own pods onto the HUD. That suggestion was unfortunately worded poorly, it was a positive though of where the gauges "could" be and how you could fit them into looking as though they were from the factory. In the various cars I modded pieces etc, my entire focus was to have someone sit in the car and not realize the things I had done were not factory options.

This fog light switch will look familiar. It is from a GP, yet in a Bonneville where it never was used.
Name:  IMG_1030.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  41.5 KB

I moved it when I put Homelink (yes, I love Homelink) into the overhead console. Bonnevilles originally had the fog switch there. Factory switch on right, modded double switch (request from buddy) in middle and Homelink on left.
Name:  IMG_0993.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  64.9 KB

SEM makes filler, plastic maker, texture, and the colors that dealers use to touch stuff up etc.
Home | SEM Products

To mold your own pod, I think all you'd want is a spare HUD trim panel, a few misc things, time and some of the SEM products.

Last edited by BillBoost37; 06-16-2015 at 02:45 AM.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by IknowHuhA6
Not sure I now what a lap timer is. Could someone elaborate?

thanks.
The lap timer can be enabled via the VCDS so you get an additional menu allowing you to use a lap timer but in addition, the display also has a temperature readout and a boost gauge reading. The boost display only works with the turbo engine and not the supercharged engine so that is the display that I was referring to. Additionally, the readouts are also in the HUD. This makes for a very clean factory addition without the additional gauges but I have not heard of anyone doing it with a 3.0T but there must be an input to the CPU that would allow for this to work and as you are not afraid of mods then I propose that you're the man.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BillBoost37
... I'm thinking outside of the piece you have currently and thinking in terms of "what if's". What if, those ears were lower... would they still be visible.

Given a bit of fiberglass and some sand paper, a lot of things are possible. ...
I understand your desire to keep the gauges in sight. This was one of the reasons I suggested molding your own pods onto the HUD.
Bill,
I'm not experienced in fiberglass, never molded anything so not an option for me. But whatever I end up with I definitely do NOT want to damage existing parts and need to make removable to restore to original when necessary. So yes that is best option but I'm not capable of pulling that off without help. I'd need help from other skilled people to pull off that route.

Originally Posted by DB22
The lap timer can be enabled via the VCDS so you get an additional menu allowing you to use a lap timer but in addition, the display also has a temperature readout and a boost gauge reading. The boost display only works with the turbo engine and not the supercharged engine so that is the display that I was referring to. Additionally, the readouts are also in the HUD. This makes for a very clean factory addition without the additional gauges but I have not heard of anyone doing it with a 3.0T but there must be an input to the CPU that would allow for this to work and as you are not afraid of mods then I propose that you're the man.
WOW! You have peaked my interest. Challenge accepted!! I did see a video somewhere that showed boost readings in center digital display and loved it, but thought it was only on recent models. Now I have to research this a bit more. If I can get Boost readings in Audi display then I'd be a super happy camper. Problem is I have ALOT of research to do on CABbus systems. I'll need to partner with some professional companies to pull this off. Guess this is going on my bucket list. LOL. But seriously, I'll give it a shot.
Bill, think I'm going to need your guidance on Vagcom stuff to pull this off.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's my point though. I had zero experience when I did the one I did. It was actually very easy once I gave it a try. I'm mechanical, not body. Had very little confidence that it would turn out decently.

Only thing I would suggest if you consider it, is to get a spare hud trim piece.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Help!
Someone please post photo and model/year cars where I can pull stock In-Dash Boost display data from. If available in an A6 model preferable. Been searching and can't find.

Thank you.