Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

WHICH TO BUY 2012 A6 or 2012 S5 ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 04:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHICH TO BUY 2012 A6 or 2012 S5 ???

I am new to Audi's and was all set to purchase an A6. While at the dealership took an S5 for a test drive. Now I am not sure what to purchase.

The A6 has enough back seat room for my 5 year old and we also have an suv...love the sound of the v8 but the A6 has the new tech and the LEDs...

I will be deciding when back home from business next week but wanted
the thoughts of some A6 owners...
Old 03-17-2012, 07:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

First do you want a sedan? If not, get the S5. The power on the S5 is better but the economy and technology is better on the A6. I chose the A6 because I was looking for a sedan. The S5 is beautiful but does not have back doors or the technology so I went with the A6 after comparing the two. The A6 is state of the art and the S5 is older technology. If you can wait, the S6 is due this year (late summer I think) with a V8.
Choose wisely.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a co-worker that has an S5 with the V8 engine. He likes my car so much that he's in the process of buying an A6.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Isn't the S4 the natural compromise?

The S5 is still one of the most beautiful cars on the road, but it does feel like a gen behind. I would at least wait for the refresh - lighter, more efficent engine, better handling dynamics, updated MMI, etc.

I originally had my heart set in the S4 but the A6 won me over with the tech, looks, and better fit for my lifestyle (two kids, mainly freeway driving).
Old 03-17-2012, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

OP, I am going through a similar decision process but comparing the S4 to A6 sport. As stated previously by Tucker, the tech, looks and overall size increase might be a better choice for me to accommodate two kids and mostly interstate driving.

The S5 is beautiful but only you can decided on whether having a coupe can be realistic assuming that you'll need access to the backseat. I had a similar setup, with my wife owning a Q7 and I had a 335i vert. While I preferred the look of a coupe it was impractical for everyday use.

In the end if you opt for the S5 you may want to wait for the mid-cycle refresh. It will have the updated MMI, styling and the 3.0T engine.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:14 PM
DZD
Audiworld Junior Member

The choice is obvious - get an S6 - an A6 with a turbo V8!
Old 03-18-2012, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I like the look of a coupe, but if you have passengers in the back seat regularly, it a pain in the a$$.
That 4.2L engine use to be in the older A6 and there was a lot of compalints about carbon build up.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NHman
OP, I am going through a similar decision process but comparing the S4 to A6 sport. As stated previously by Tucker, the tech, looks and overall size increase might be a better choice for me to accommodate two kids and mostly interstate driving.

The S5 is beautiful but only you can decided on whether having a coupe can be realistic assuming that you'll need access to the backseat. I had a similar setup, with my wife owning a Q7 and I had a 335i vert. While I preferred the look of a coupe it was impractical for everyday use.

In the end if you opt for the S5 you may want to wait for the mid-cycle refresh. It will have the updated MMI, styling and the 3.0T engine.
Yes, while we have an SUV, I will need to take my son to school at times in the S5 etc, so the coupe may pose an issue, which I have thought about and certainly militates against the S5. I can't wait for the refresh as I sold my car and need a new car shortly...

I had the same dilemma between and M3 and 500ix last year. Opted for the 550 - which turned out to have problems...thus now in the market for an audi...
Old 03-18-2012, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dmbordoni
Yes, while we have an SUV, I will need to take my son to school at times in the S5 etc, so the coupe may pose an issue, which I have thought about and certainly militates against the S5. I can't wait for the refresh as I sold my car and need a new car shortly...

I had the same dilemma between and M3 and 500ix last year. Opted for the 550 - which turned out to have problems...thus now in the market for an audi...
Well there may be another even better solution. As you may have noticed, there have been a few posts about the S6 Pre-ordering, including one about the Pre-order guide

You get the practicality/tech of the A6 and the performance of an S model.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ wonder what the delta in price will be.... I am assuming a fully loaded S6 will be close to $90k

Quick Reply: WHICH TO BUY 2012 A6 or 2012 S5 ???