Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Check Engine Light - Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light - Rough Idle

I cold Started my car and was idling unusually longer due to a message on my phone then all the sudden the car star roughly shaking 3-4 times. Looked at dash and Engine light was ON. First time ever this happened to me and since I was at work I have no choice to drive. The car seam to drive normal until I hit the stop light where I experience another set of shaking. And noticed a 800 RPM dip from 900 The engine still wasn't warmed up. After it warmed up the shaking went away and on a free way the car was driving as usual although I was not pushing it beyond 3K rpm just to be on a safe side. After Parking and re starting the car I did not experience a shake right away but engine light remain ON.

The Car is 2013 A6 2.0T @ 60K miles
recent oil change and air filter.
The spark plug where replaced @ 50K

I do not have any OBD Tool To scan for codes And I do not know how soon the Dealer can make an appointment . I have a couple in Chicago area. Its Sunday and I'm thinking about it I know it may be a # of things but maybe any of you could shed some light before I see the dealer. Car is under CPO warranty.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Many scan tools will cost less than a trip to the dealer. I recommend Ross tech, for numerous reasons, as a great investment.

BTW I have no idea where the spark plugs were replaced.

Last edited by DB22; 09-17-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Definitely need to invest in a scanning tool. Puled up to my local Auto Zone and they scan it for free printing out the bad codes there was 7 of them and they all reflected to bad O2 sensor . Could that cause Rough Idle ?
Old 09-17-2017, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TH3PERFECTON3
Definitely need to invest in a scanning tool. Puled up to my local Auto Zone and they scan it for free printing out the bad codes there was 7 of them and they all reflected to bad O2 sensor . Could that cause Rough Idle ?
Yes it could but not conclusive. There maybe other issues but start with changing the sensor.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default O2 Sensor

I had a similar experience with an older MB C class car, this was about 10 years ago and it turned out to be the O2 sensor. At the time there was no time expectation how long the O2 sensors would last, today I believe they usually last about 100,000 miles, at least that is the schedule as when to change them, so, you may need a new one. A word of caution, before you do anything put an OBD2 scanner on your car and that should spit out the correct trouble code. If you work on your own vehicle than you should buy one, you can get a good one for about $90-$100 and it will pay for itself quickly. Good luck.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
Yes it could but not conclusive. There maybe other issues but start with changing the sensor.
Or he should start by using his CPO warranty.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TH3PERFECTON3
I cold Started my car and was idling unusually longer due to a message on my phone then all the sudden the car star roughly shaking 3-4 times. Looked at dash and Engine light was ON. First time ever this happened to me and since I was at work I have no choice to drive. The car seam to drive normal until I hit the stop light where I experience another set of shaking. And noticed a 800 RPM dip from 900 The engine still wasn't warmed up. After it warmed up the shaking went away and on a free way the car was driving as usual although I was not pushing it beyond 3K rpm just to be on a safe side. After Parking and re starting the car I did not experience a shake right away but engine light remain ON.

The Car is 2013 A6 2.0T @ 60K miles
recent oil change and air filter.
The spark plug where replaced @ 50K

I do not have any OBD Tool To scan for codes And I do not know how soon the Dealer can make an appointment . I have a couple in Chicago area. Its Sunday and I'm thinking about it I know it may be a # of things but maybe any of you could shed some light before I see the dealer. Car is under CPO warranty.
You most likely have a bad coil. It costs $20. Go to an Autozone and they may pull up the code showing with cool is bad.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NABS4
Or he should start by using his CPO warranty.
Yes That's the plan. Have an appointment for Wednesday will report back what SA found.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interested to see if there was a conclusion to this episode. My car is at 60K miles and I may be feeling a smidgen as the OP does with a rough idle on cold start for ~1 min.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Expert++

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tune Up, Engine light MAP sensor

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light - Rough Idle