Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Clunk on startup 3.0T

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fEArmE
My 2013 just started doing that after I have it for 2 years. It will only clunk when the car has fully warmed up when you start it up. Never in the morning.
I have the same issue on my 2014. I took it to the dealer but they couldn't replicate it. You're right, it only happens when the car is warm. It starts and immediately you feel a thunk from what feels like under you.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pvansh
I have the same issue on my 2014. I took it to the dealer but they couldn't replicate it. You're right, it only happens when the car is warm. It starts and immediately you feel a thunk from what feels like under you.
Yes exactly. I am not surprised dealer claims dumb....
Old 04-20-2015, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just to clarify, it does not happen in auto start/stop when the car is in D. Clunk only happens when the car has completely warmed up and shut down, then restart while in P.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mine has started some sort of clunk jerk on rare occasion right after start up and pulling of out parking lot to turn on street, I think it is some slack or something in drive train. It is very noticeable at times. Will see what happens, but does not happen frequently enough.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fEArmE
I'm pretty sure my clunk is generating from transmission because my steering is always straight and unlocked. Not sure if it is the latest transmission software update that is causing the issue. Like I said before, I've been driving the car for 2 years and I just have the issue recently after a transmission software update.
Yes, I am experiencing this too. And it only started happening after the last transmission software update. Very annoying. Almost feels like what happens when you are parked on a hill and release the parking brake in Park with your foot off the brake. A sort of slight lurch.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm taking my car back in to the dealer in a couple of weeks and have asked them to take a look again. I'll report back.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JRomulus
Yes, I am experiencing this too. And it only started happening after the last transmission software update. Very annoying. Almost feels like what happens when you are parked on a hill and release the parking brake in Park with your foot off the brake. A sort of slight lurch.
Ah, that is right I had my car service about 5-6 weeks ago and they did an transmission update as well. Damn car we perfect before that.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have heard a clunk noise several times on my 2015 3.0T. On my 5K visit to the dealer, I got the usual " it was a loose bushing in the suspension and fixed it" answer. <insert graphic for blowing smoke up your **** here>. btw, I am not a fan of dealers.
I still hear it once in a while from the left side, like from the front wheel area but may be in the transmission vicinity, and the car does not need to be moving or shifting, or anything... just hard to isolate the circumstance.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by JRomulus
Strange. I just had the latest tranny update done last week and the only difference I've noticed is the slight occasional shudder I was getting from 2nd to 3rd is gone. No clunking before or after the update, thankfully.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Strange. I just had the latest tranny update done last week and the only difference I've noticed is the slight occasional shudder I was getting from 2nd to 3rd is gone. No clunking before or after the update, thankfully.
My TCM Update NVLW took place without any complaints or request by me on January 2nd. The clunking noise at engine startup began taking place about 2 - 3 weeks ago, so lets say 90 days after the update. Coincidence?

I just hope its nothing more than an annoyance, and not a new problem created with the transmission.

Quick Reply: Clunk on startup 3.0T