Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Concerns re 20" Sport Package

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 03:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Concerns re 20" Sport Package

I'm about to pull the trigger on an A6 for my wife. Narrowed it down to one with 20" sport package vs. one with no sport package (i.e., 18" premium plus wheels) but with side assist and cold weather package. My concern is about the ride quality. How much harsher is 20" than the 18". Will the 20" ride so harsh that the car will be a chore to drive?

For what it's worth, even though the car with the 20s has a higher MSRP, I can get it for the same price as the other one (because the dealer doesn't have to trade for one 500 miles away). Also, the one with the 20s, has the ash wood (which I like a bit better than the shiny wood) and I like the sport package steering wheel a bit better.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have an A7 with the 20" wheels and the ride is not harsh. It all depends on the personal preference. To put it into perspective, the ride is a LOT smoother than my wife's A5 cabrio with 18" wheels and pretty comparable to my father's 2012 Acura TL with 17" wheels
Old 03-02-2013, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ebod0000
My concern is about the ride quality. How much harsher is 20" than the 18". Will the 20" ride so harsh that the car will be a chore to drive?
Can you and your wife test drive both and make a decision based on actual experience? Be sure to test drive over a variety of different roads. What is considered "smooth" to someone else on AudiWorld may be considered "harsh" to your wife.

If the A6 is really for your wife as you note, she may value the side assist and cold weather package over the sport package. A wife with warm hands could make for a happier wife.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

I would be concened less about ride than I would about the ability of the lower profile 20's to deal with potholes, icy snow ridges and crap like cobblestones. Dependng on where you live this may not be an issue if the roads are smooth. Where I live in the Northeast, they are a concern. The higher sidewall of the 18's could mean less wheel damage, better grip on snow and ice and no blown tires. The latter has happened t a few folks I know with really low profile tires.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My wife is so fed up with my analyzing the purchase that she wants me to just pull the trigger. The car she test drove had big wheels (19 or 20s) but not the stiffer suspension. It seemed fine. We live in California; no snow, but the roads are pretty crappy in places.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you test drive both 18 and 20, then you'll probably end up thinking the 18 is a less harsh ride. But if you just go ahead and get the 20, you'll never know how much harsher it really is. I drive with the 20s with sport pack, in the Bay Area, and don't think it's harsh at all, even driving in SF people tell me it's a very smooth and quiet car. Big difference in tire price though between 18 and 20, but 20 IMO looks better on this car.

Last edited by mcar11; 03-02-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2013 also and was struggling with the same issue. I live in Houston and it seems like about 90% of the cars in our dealer inventory have 20s, so I assume that is where the demand is and so most people must not have an issue with them. Maybe I am worrying for nothing.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was initially worried about the durability of the 20's as well - but I think Audi has done a good job with them as I've unintentionally hit a couple pretty deep potholes that I would've sworn would have bent a wheel or popped a tire, and I've come out unscathed without any damage. Maybe I just got lucky, but I feel like they're pretty durable despite the size.

I always wanted the sport package, so I never drove a car with the 18", but there was no perceptible difference I could tell between the 19" and the 20".
Old 03-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 2012 A6 Prestige with the sport package and 20" wheels. You can dial in firmness with the MMI and we have found the ride to be very good. I put it on firm when on the freeway and tour in town and compared to the A6 test drive I did it is extremely comfortable in both modes.

Originally Posted by ebod0000
I'm about to pull the trigger on an A6 for my wife. Narrowed it down to one with 20" sport package vs. one with no sport package (i.e., 18" premium plus wheels) but with side assist and cold weather package. My concern is about the ride quality. How much harsher is 20" than the 18". Will the 20" ride so harsh that the car will be a chore to drive?

For what it's worth, even though the car with the 20s has a higher MSRP, I can get it for the same price as the other one (because the dealer doesn't have to trade for one 500 miles away). Also, the one with the 20s, has the ash wood (which I like a bit better than the shiny wood) and I like the sport package steering wheel a bit better.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Texas Audi
I have a 2012 A6 Prestige with the sport package and 20" wheels. You can dial in firmness with the MMI and we have found the ride to be very good. I put it on firm when on the freeway and tour in town and compared to the A6 test drive I did it is extremely comfortable in both modes.
When did US C7s get air suspension?

Quick Reply: Concerns re 20" Sport Package