Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

DIY: C7 A6 Front Bumper Removal & StoneCarbon2009 RS6 Style Grille Install (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default DIY: C7 A6 Front Bumper Removal & StoneCarbon2009 RS6 Style Grille Install (Video)

Hey Guys!

So, I have spent months looking for all the information possible on removing a bumper from a C7 A6, and how to install a StoneCarbon2009 RS Style grille with all the fixings (Night Vision, ACC Sensors, Park Camera, etc). I could only find bits of information sparingly, so I took all the hodgepodge info I could scrounge up and put the rest of the pieces together myself as I tackled this project. With the help of a friend, I was able to record most everything and put together an install video.

HUGE shoutout to Enigma1406 and his thread on installing an OEM RS6 Grille to his S6. That was a big help in terms of steps to follow.

Tools List:
-T25 & T15 Torx Bits/drivers/etc. These will unscrew everything you need to
-Drill for ease of removal
-10mm Socket with extensions for bolts holding the bumper on, as well as remove negative terminal from battery
-Dremel & Cutting wheels/grinder to modify your Ebay Grille
-Protective Glasses for when you dremel... trust me, just wear them.
-Very Small flathead screwdriver for removing electrical connections and clips
-Zip Ties to help with removal of OEM Grille (You'll see)
-Plastic Trim Removal tools
-Work light of some kind
-A friend you bribed to help you do this
-Beer
-Music

Noteworthy Information:

-As always, just play it safe and remove the negative terminal from the battery to insure you don't accidentally turn the vehicle on while your electrical sensors are unplugged and risk having to recalibrate your system.

-Having a second pair of hands is SUPER helpful to hand you tools, hold back fender liners, hold a light, etc. I highly suggest bribing someone with beer or food or both to help you out.

-The eBay grille from StoneCarbon doesn't require much modification other than cutting out the camera mount it has in it so you can retrofit your camera mount to it. Unlike installing the OEM RS6 grille, you do NOT have to trim any tabs on the grille, or trim any part of your bumper. It pops in nice and tight and flush.

-Cutting the grille to retrofit your oem camera mount is tricky. Cut small amounts, and constantly reference the mount until you get the right fit. Don't make large or deep cuts... it's better to have to cut more than to have cut too much at all.

-After you get it to where the rear camera mount can be screwed into the new grille, you can mount your camera into it. The only downfall is the front shield that goes over your camera has no way to mount to the new RS style grille at all. I tried trimming it down and getting it to fit to a point that I could epoxy it or something, but it just won't work. It doesn't look bad without it, and no one is likely going to notice it at all, but I'm trying to source an oem RS6 front camera shield to use... otherwise I'm going to have a local shop retrofit something to cover it.

-The video doesn't show reassembly to the car, but it is literally just reversing the steps you did to remove the bumper and grille. It's very straight forward. The trickiest part is getting the bumper back on the teeth, but it's not bad. Having a friend to assist really helps with this.

-I don't know if this happens to everyone, but I figured I'd mention it in case it happens to you: When I plugged the battery back up, the car started right up and didn't have any CEL's or anything (I'm used to the dash lighting up like a Christmas tree after I disconnect the batter with my VW's). The car idled normally, and I backed it out of the garage and parked it. The next morning, however, I started it up and it had an extremely rough idle and the EPC light was on. I let it warm up and drove it and the lower the RPM's, the more violent the engine shook. It felt like I had a really bad motor mount. I drove for about 10 mins and it did it every time I got into lower rpms. I parked the car and shut it off for an hour, and then started it up again and it was back to normal. No shaking, no EPC light, and it has driven as normal ever since. Probably just your typical German gremlins after you disconnect the battery.

I may add to this thread as I remember things, and I'll post updates in the replies as I do. I really hope this video helps and shows in detail the steps to doing this job. If I didn't have to record what I was doing, this probably would have only taken about 3-4 hours including painting the crash bar and taking my time as it was the first time I have really worked on this car so far.

And on to the video! Make sure you watch it with the sound on as there is a voiceover by yours truly talking about each step of the process.

Please subscribe to my youtube channel. It's brand new and this is the first video on it, but I'm hoping to continue adding C7 specific videos soon.
You can also follow my C7 Instagram page @AudiC7Owners

Last edited by KwikStix; 02-22-2019 at 05:28 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

btw, if anyone can tell me how to embed the Youtube video i'll edit the original post.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Awesome post and video, thks!
Old 02-18-2019, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mesquite77
Awesome post and video, thks!
No problem!

I just realized that I kept calling the Parking sensors the ACC sensors... please forgive me haha.

Also, I'm new to audiworld... can you edit posts that you've made?
Old 02-19-2019, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by KwikStix
Also, I'm new to audiworld... can you edit posts that you've made?
Welcome! & yes.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
Welcome! & yes.
How do I do that?
Old 02-20-2019, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

How do I do that?
With the edit button at the bottom of your post.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
With the edit button at the bottom of your post.
So I don't know why, but this is the first time the edit button has come up.

Anyways... anyone know the forum code to embed a youtube video?
Old 02-20-2019, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyways... anyone know the forum code to embed a youtube video?
I have never had trouble getting a YouTube video to embed on
this forum, and I can't see any reason why yours is not working.

Maybe it is a YouTube setting.
I'm not that familiar with uploading videos to YouTube, but I know that there
are settings that you choose on how your video will be viewed once uploaded.

Not sure if this is the problem, but maybe worth looking into.

Last edited by engleg; 02-20-2019 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So I don't know why, but this is the first time the edit button has come up.
Be sure you are logged in.

Quick Reply: DIY: C7 A6 Front Bumper Removal & StoneCarbon2009 RS6 Style Grille Install (Video)