Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Do Dealerships Really Pay Large Fees To Transfer Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 11:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do Dealerships Really Pay Large Fees To Transfer Cars?

My wife found an Audi located on another Audi lot about 350 miles away. One of our local dealerships here claims that they can bring that car in for us, but it is going to cost them $1500. Does it really cost $1500 for one Audi dealership to ship a car to another Audi dealership?

They are getting fairly snarky with us about the shipping. We're not 100% sure that we like the color of that car, but they didn't charge us a deposit to bring it in. We told them upfront that we were considering the vehicle, but not 100% on it---so they shipped it in. But, now the sales guys is getting upset claiming that he's going to lose his job and the heavens are falling because they had to pay a shipping fee. It's a little absurd.

Any experiences here?
Old 11-08-2016, 11:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nothing happens for free. That's simple logic.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course, I know that. Everything costs something.

But, I've never heard of it costing $1500 to move a car from one lot to another. I've moved across the country for less than $1500. I would bet that dealerships can write-off these expenses anyway. I can see them being a little upset that we might pass on the vehicle and opt for another, but reacting the way they are is a little extreme---at least to me.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

It all depends on who they use to transport the car. If they are moving a single car in an enclosed hauler, then $1500 seems about right. If they move more than one car on an open hauler then $500 is closer to what it will cost.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've bought quite a few cars that were brought in from other cities hundreds of miles away. I was never charged anything for it. And before anyone suggests it's because I was paying too much for the cars, I can assure you that is not the case.

As to the argument that shipping a single car that far could cost that much, I've had 32' boats shipped from Miami to Houston for less than $1500. I think a fair cost would be $500.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Lord Nikon
My wife found an Audi located on another Audi lot about 350 miles away. One of our local dealerships here claims that they can bring that car in for us, but it is going to cost them $1500. Does it really cost $1500 for one Audi dealership to ship a car to another Audi dealership?

They are getting fairly snarky with us about the shipping. We're not 100% sure that we like the color of that car, but they didn't charge us a deposit to bring it in. We told them upfront that we were considering the vehicle, but not 100% on it---so they shipped it in. But, now the sales guys is getting upset claiming that he's going to lose his job and the heavens are falling because they had to pay a shipping fee. It's a little absurd.

Any experiences here?
I call BS but that is just my opinion. I hate high pressure sales tactics. It usually results in me walking. There are no material things in life I must "have"!
Old 11-09-2016, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

It's possible that your dealer doesn't have a car swap relationship with the other dealer who is adding a fee. Also, there is a cost involved to both dealers to transfer paperwork and such to consider. Finally, if you negotiated a price "close to the bone", your dealer is trying to compensate for the extra trouble of buying and transporting the car.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:55 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

I assume the large distance is the factor. Usually they just do a swap. They have someone drive a car over from their lot they want and pick up the other car you want and drive it back but if it's a 12 hour round trip I could see that being difficult. If it was their suggestion that they could get the car from the other dealership they should pay. If it was your suggestion...well I would have just gone to the other dealer myself. You can get the car serviced anywhere.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like the whole thing has gone south a bit. It might be best just to walk away and keep looking on your own or through a different dealer. As mentioned, no matter where you buy the car you can get it serviced anywhere.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be suspicious that you are being bent over. When a local dealer in Michigan had a Mercedes shipped from Milwaukee, the cost was $300 for approximately 400 miles, and the car was pristine upon arrival.

P.S. Don't be swayed by the salesperson's theatrics and hysterics about his job. The likely break into laughter the moment you leave the showroom.

Last edited by Sportstick; 11-09-2016 at 05:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Do Dealerships Really Pay Large Fees To Transfer Cars?