Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Engine idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine idle

Hey guys, so today I started my car and let it idle for a bit then I feel like the engine is idling weird. Like its struggling to breathe air? Idk if that sounds about right. Went to Sonic and had it running also and still the same thing idling weird not normal or something like its clogging up? Do I need to take it to Audi dealership for service or any mechanic and look at it?

Mine is a 2012 Premium Plus with 70k miles on it. The car was a commercial use vehicle from a business guy. Bought it from a dealership.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you be specific what is weird? Like a strange noise, the car is stalling, or what?
Old 10-04-2014, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by qqq1970
Can you be specific what is weird? Like a strange noise, the car is stalling, or what?
There's no noise. It's kinda like its wanting to stall
Old 10-05-2014, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You're going to need to invest in a VCDS setup if you're going to keep this car. The symptoms you describe are way too vague to diagnose, but at a wild guess it's misfiring - which will definitely throw codes and soon a MIL (Malfunction Indication Lamp - aka "Check Engine Light").
Old 10-05-2014, 10:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
You're going to need to invest in a VCDS setup if you're going to keep this car. The symptoms you describe are way too vague to diagnose, but at a wild guess it's misfiring - which will definitely throw codes and soon a MIL (Malfunction Indication Lamp - aka "Check Engine Light").
What is VCDS? It drives just fine but when idling it feels like something is wrong but not bad. It's kinda hard for me to describe it.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VCDS is Volkswagen Automotive Group-COM Diagnostic systems. made by ross tech for VW cars and Audis as well as some foreign VW owned brands. Pretty much a lifesaver for high-mileage VAG cars.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DasA6
VCDS is Volkswagen Automotive Group-COM Diagnostic systems. made by ross tech for VW cars and Audis as well as some foreign VW owned brands. Pretty much a lifesaver for high-mileage VAG cars.
Ohh ok. I may just take it into Audi dealership and have them look at it and have them to maintenance on it also.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a strange "clicking" noise which comes on for about 5 to 8 seconds when i start the car. I have noticed this noise only comes on sometimes.
Noise comes on like 3 seconds after the car starts and then stays for 5 to 8 seonds and then goes away.
Nature of the noise is clicking noise. I also belive its comes on only during a cold start.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sherrypeter_g
I have a strange "clicking" noise which comes on for about 5 to 8 seconds when i start the car. I have noticed this noise only comes on sometimes. Noise comes on like 3 seconds after the car starts and then stays for 5 to 8 seonds and then goes away. Nature of the noise is clicking noise. I also belive its comes on only during a cold start.
Mine doesn't have the clicking noise but it just feels like it's smooth running then little hard running for a bit then back to smooth and again. It may be cold start. I'll monitor it from time to time and see.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It could be carbon build-up on the intake valves, causing disruption of the airflow. This is an issue with direct injection engines because the detergents in fuel do not flow over the intake valves anymore. It can be cleaned by injecting special detergents directly into the intake like this:

Quick Reply: Engine idle