Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Engine Off When Driver Door is Open

Old 10-02-2012, 07:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Off When Driver Door is Open

When I stop the car, put it in Park and open the driver door while the engine is running, the engine shuts off. I am assuming this is a safety feature, which is nice, but is there a way to keep the engine running when the driver door is open? Is it somewhere in settings? Thanks.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Unfortunately, I don't believe there is. It's tied into the stop/start system, even if you have the system turn off.
If I leave the door open when starting the car and leave the key in the cup holder, I can walk out the car without it shutting off. But then you would smell all that exhaust in the cabin.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KarKid
Unfortunately, I don't believe there is. It's tied into the stop/start system, even if you have the system turn off.
Yes, I have the stop/start off.

If I leave the door open when starting the car and leave the key in the cup holder, I can walk out the car without it shutting off.
This would work for me. Maybe the engine stays on when the key is in the car and not in my pocket. If I remember correctly, one time, when I did not fully opened the door (it was half opened), the engine did not turn off.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ahh, this makes sense. I have the 2.0T which does not have the start/stop feature and I have no problem leaving the car while it's still running.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by fender4645
Ahh, this makes sense. I have the 2.0T which does not have the start/stop feature and I have no problem leaving the car while it's still running.
When I open the door, the engine turns off regardless of wether or not the start/stop is on or off.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

This has been covered before. In the 2013, the engine will turn off when you open the door regardless if you leave the key in the car or take it with you. If you turn off the engine and it is restarted before the car is moved, the engine will stay running when you open the door. Try it.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
This has been covered before. In the 2013, the engine will turn off when you open the door regardless if you leave the key in the car or take it with you. If you turn off the engine and it is restarted before the car is moved, the engine will stay running when you open the door. Try it.
Can this be changed using VAG codes? Thanks.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by fender4645
Thanks - another reason to get the 2.0T vs. the 3.0. All the so-called "safety" features these days are (IMHO) a costly nod to the 1% who would do stupid things like leave lights on, cars in Drive, etc. at the expense of the rest of us who take driving seriously and take prudent control of our actions. Too F---ing much technology on cars.
I use the 12V outlet in the car for my vacuum cleaner and for the tire inflator when adjusting PSI according to seasonal changes in temperature. I hate to leave these things running with the engine off so they do not wear down the battery. So many things to worry about now that our cars are so "safe." Same thing with keyless entry: wow, how incredibly inconvenient (well, almost inhumane) to expect me to have a key ready when I am going to get in my car to go somewhere. Guess this is uber important to the “can’t live without texting” generation. I drove a relative’s 1987 Chevy recently and found it so refreshing to be driving a car not a techno box on wheels – the Chevy was still a POS though, just easy to take its straightforward design.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just get in your 3.0T, start the car, and plug in your vacuum cleaner or air compressor. The engine will stay on since it wasn't driven.

All modern cars have so much technology controlling the engine, transmission, and brakes (among a lot of other things). The power and mileage that we get now from smaller engines is a result of that technology. What's in the cabin is only for flash but that's one reason I went with Audi vs BMW, MB, Volvo, etc. The S60 T5 or T6 are rather basic except for their safety features. Really wanted one but the Audi is rated so much better. (Of course I would have saved at least $15,000!).

Anyway, as long as you don't drive the car the engine stays on when you exit the car.

HTH,
tsp
2013 A6 3.0T, PP, Bose, BS, SP-20

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Thanks - another reason to get the 2.0T vs. the 3.0. All the so-called "safety" features these days are (IMHO) a costly nod to the 1% who would do stupid things like leave lights on, cars in Drive, etc. at the expense of the rest of us who take driving seriously and take prudent control of our actions. Too F---ing much technology on cars.
I use the 12V outlet in the car for my vacuum cleaner and for the tire inflator when adjusting PSI according to seasonal changes in temperature. I hate to leave these things running with the engine off so they do not wear down the battery. So many things to worry about now that our cars are so "safe." Same thing with keyless entry: wow, how incredibly inconvenient (well, almost inhumane) to expect me to have a key ready when I am going to get in my car to go somewhere. Guess this is uber important to the “can’t live without texting” generation. I drove a relative’s 1987 Chevy recently and found it so refreshing to be driving a car not a techno box on wheels – the Chevy was still a POS though, just easy to take its straightforward design.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I got my 2013 S6 yesterday and this was the only annoying thing I faced.

So every time I leave the car for a minute the engine switches off!

You know what am worried about? whenever I go to a valet parking I will look like a dumb ***.

I hope there is a way to turn this feature off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Off When Driver Door is Open