Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Engine Rattle on 3.0T @ ~1400 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed!

To wrap this up, the issue solution provided by other members did solve the problem.

here is the text from the Audi workshop:
CONFIRMED CUSTOMER CONCERN. CAN HEAR RATTLING NOISE WHEN DRIVING THROUGH PARKING LOT. RAISED VEHICLE AND TECH RAISED RPM TO 1500. RATTLE COMING FROM EXHAUST PIPE COUPLING TO CATALYTIC CONVERTER ON BOTH SIDES. REMOVED MUFFLER FROM CATALYTIC CONVERTER PIPING. WHEN HITTING CATALYTIC CONVERTER PIPING, RATTLE CAN BE HEARD. AND WHEN PRESSURE APPLIED WITH SCREWDRIVER ON CATALYTIC CONVERTER WHEN CAR RUNNING, NOISE GOES AWAY. REPLACED BOTH EXHAUST WITH MUFFLER ASSEMBLY PER AUDI GUIDELINES. ALIGNED EXHAUST WITH JACK TO RELEASE TENSION OF EXHAUST MOUNTS. REMOVED CLAMPS ON BOTH EXHAUST. REMOVED MUFFLER ASSEMBLY FROM FRONT CATALYTIC CONVERTER FLANGE ON DRIVER AND PASSENGER SIDE. REMOVED BOTH MUFFLER ASSEMBLYS CLEANED FLANGE AND MATING EXHAUST ON BOTH SIDES. INSTALLED JACK UNDER EXHAUST TO LINE EXHAUST MOUNTS AND RELIEVE TENSIO INSTALLED NEW MUFFLER ON BOTH SIDES. REPLACED ALL BOLTS FOR FLANGE MATING AS WELL AS FRONT CLAMPING SLEEVE AND BOLTS ALL BOLTS TORQUED TO 23NM. ROAD TEST IN PARKING LOT, RATCHETING NOISE GONE

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-18-2018, 01:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lucasb7
To wrap this up, the issue solution provided by other members did solve the problem.

here is the text from the Audi workshop:
CONFIRMED CUSTOMER CONCERN. CAN HEAR RATTLING NOISE WHEN DRIVING THROUGH PARKING LOT. RAISED VEHICLE AND TECH RAISED RPM TO 1500. RATTLE COMING FROM EXHAUST PIPE COUPLING TO CATALYTIC CONVERTER ON BOTH SIDES. REMOVED MUFFLER FROM CATALYTIC CONVERTER PIPING. WHEN HITTING CATALYTIC CONVERTER PIPING, RATTLE CAN BE HEARD. AND WHEN PRESSURE APPLIED WITH SCREWDRIVER ON CATALYTIC CONVERTER WHEN CAR RUNNING, NOISE GOES AWAY. REPLACED BOTH EXHAUST WITH MUFFLER ASSEMBLY PER AUDI GUIDELINES. ALIGNED EXHAUST WITH JACK TO RELEASE TENSION OF EXHAUST MOUNTS. REMOVED CLAMPS ON BOTH EXHAUST. REMOVED MUFFLER ASSEMBLY FROM FRONT CATALYTIC CONVERTER FLANGE ON DRIVER AND PASSENGER SIDE. REMOVED BOTH MUFFLER ASSEMBLYS CLEANED FLANGE AND MATING EXHAUST ON BOTH SIDES. INSTALLED JACK UNDER EXHAUST TO LINE EXHAUST MOUNTS AND RELIEVE TENSIO INSTALLED NEW MUFFLER ON BOTH SIDES. REPLACED ALL BOLTS FOR FLANGE MATING AS WELL AS FRONT CLAMPING SLEEVE AND BOLTS ALL BOLTS TORQUED TO 23NM. ROAD TEST IN PARKING LOT, RATCHETING NOISE GONE

Thanks for the help!
Identical problem with my 2012 3.0T. Was this covered under warranty??
Old 05-18-2018, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The catalytic converters are covered under federal emissions 8/80. Unfortunately I think it’s the flex pipe and not the cat that usually causes this issue.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by GOFASTER67
Identical problem with my 2012 3.0T. Was this covered under warranty??
Yes my issue was covered under the extended warranty. At the time the car had about 55k miles.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have the exact same problem with my 2012 A6. I had the car at the dealership recently for an alignment and fully describe this issue and asked them to check it out. They told me that the sound was normal. But I knew it was something that I had not heard prior to the last couple weeks. I've read the previous post but still not exactly clear on what the issue is...what do I tell the dealer needs to be done? Is there a TSB on this issue?
Old 06-26-2018, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lucasb7
I think this is it! I did some googling and found this video/problem description that perfectly matches my description (I think one of the replies may have even been yours). The poster had an exhaust crack so I'll have the dealer look into that. I have vag-com and there are no engine related codes pending or not.

Along the same lines, I do have a loud whining noise at startup/cat light off that sounds like a secondary air injection pump biting the dust. I'll have the dealer look into that too.

I suspect there is some carbon build up as well but my understanding is they will only address this issue if there is a MIL?
I was the one who commented on that video for guidance. Since then, I experienced another major exhaust crack and had to replace the rear muffler section. The root cause of the issue is unknown to me. It is perhaps the same as you listed in your later post with dealer notes. I am actually pretty pissed with this car. Dealer won't diagnose it properly, indy shop cannot, everyone just wants to throw parts at it and keep their fingers crossed while I bleed money. My vehicle is a 2012 A6 3.0T as well.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have this sound on my car at exactly 1400rpms, not higher or lower but 1400. It doesn't seem as loud as the video though
Old 06-27-2018, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the same rattle as well. It's just annoying so I'm going to live with it.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Took the car to my shop today with a couple concerns to include this. They were able to duplicate it and say its coming from the resonator. They said it just seems to be a design flaw in my car as the resonator itself was functioning well, just was rattling at this certain RPM due to vibrations. Obviously they said if it gets worse, itll need to be looked at
Old 09-10-2018, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by blackc7a6
I had the same sound on my 2012 too...it's the cats rattling! I ended up having a secondary air injection port cleaning done at the dealer under warranty (which has been extended to 120K) and during the service they cleaned the valve seats by hand. They said the carbon build-up caused the engine vibration making the exhaust rattle. the vibration was drastically reduced after the service and any residual sound got covered up by the awetuning touring exhaust with downpipes. If you have a Vag-com check for Secondary air injection flow soft codes or have the dealer take a look if you're under warranty. hope that helps!
yep is the cats I had the same issue and had both of them replaced under CPO warranty