Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

EPC light lit after attempting to pass

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default EPC light lit after attempting to pass

As I drove home, went to pass someone, engine bucked hard. I looked down and noticed the EPC light lit up, plus a message stating I could not exceed 4000 rpm. The red band on the tach started at 4k instead of the normal top end.

Pulled out the VCDS reader found

Oil Pressure Switch
P164B [036] - Malfunction
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1

There's more, but probably not relevant. I reset the fault code and see if it appears again. Due for 55k mile service in two days, will bring saved printout to them to check it out. And try to keep the engine rpm at a reasonable level should it happen again.

So my question is:
Does the Oil Pressure Switch fail so early on in the life of the engine? I don't know the history yet of these vehicles, just moved to this one after years of VW ownership. (Dieselgate forced my hand.....)
Old 03-01-2017, 09:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Audi A6 2006 3.2L Quattro just had the Fuel filter and oil filter changed. Now she wont start when engine is warm/hot, and will DIE, like at a stop light. Could this be a Camshaft Speed Sensor issue?? Any help would be AWESOME!!! Thank you so much!
Old 03-01-2017, 11:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by bryan100030
My Audi A6 2006 3.2L Quattro just had the Fuel filter and oil filter changed. Now she wont start when engine is warm/hot, and will DIE, like at a stop light. Could this be a Camshaft Speed Sensor issue?? Any help would be AWESOME!!! Thank you so much!
Your car is a C6, not a C7 so probably worth reposting your question on the C6 forum
Old 03-01-2017, 11:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy de Groot
As I drove home, went to pass someone, engine bucked hard. I looked down and noticed the EPC light lit up, plus a message stating I could not exceed 4000 rpm. The red band on the tach started at 4k instead of the normal top end.

Pulled out the VCDS reader found

Oil Pressure Switch
P164B [036] - Malfunction
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1

There's more, but probably not relevant. I reset the fault code and see if it appears again. Due for 55k mile service in two days, will bring saved printout to them to check it out. And try to keep the engine rpm at a reasonable level should it happen again.

So my question is:
Does the Oil Pressure Switch fail so early on in the life of the engine? I don't know the history yet of these vehicles, just moved to this one after years of VW ownership. (Dieselgate forced my hand.....)
You don't say which engine you have. That said not a problem I have seen reported regularly on any forums. Ultimately every part has the potential to fail for a whole variety of reasons and you are probably just unlucky that the switch has decided it has had enough. It may be of course that it has not really failed but just malfunctioned once leading to the error code
Old 03-02-2017, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

My bad on not mentioning the engine. 3.0l V6 TFSIH07 0006

It was definitely a shock when it went into protection mode, the engine, like hitting a wall.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default thnx

Originally Posted by John Simcox
Your car is a C6, not a C7 so probably worth reposting your question on the C6 forum
Thank you. Will do
Old 03-02-2017, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

After resetting the fault last night, on the way home I wanted to see if it would repeat itself. Engine fully warmed up and I floored it. Well not quite, but did go well above 4k rpm, until it hit 5.4k rpm when the fault returned. This time no bucking felt, just a gradual slowdown as I immediately lifted off the accelerator. Reading the code once I returned home, again Oil Pressure Switch P164B.
I also notice the Battery Voltage being lower this time. Previously it read 12.898438 V, and this time it is 12.796875. Not much of a difference, but I did have a low battery alarm two days ago while reading codes for the first time. Could be a relation, perhaps not. Will know for sure on Saturday when Audi does the 55k mile service. I'll post a follow up.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Here's a thread about a S6 that getting the EPC light during WOT. Some people suspected low voltage among other things. The voltage at 12.9 and 12.8 at the battery is low for a running engine.

EPC light w/o power loss
Old 03-03-2017, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Here's a thread about a S6 that getting the EPC light during WOT. Some people suspected low voltage among other things. The voltage at 12.9 and 12.8 at the battery is low for a running engine.

EPC light w/o power loss
Interesting. I don't have vcds yet but i should get on that. Having said that i would like to see and keep up with batt voltage, i wonder why on a newish car and when the car is running the voltage is this low. I wonder if there is a mechanism to normalize voltage or just a developing alternator issue, possibly during manufacturing that has created dead spots within the windings.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This happened to my 2012 3.0 last year. The dealership replaced the oil pressure switch under warranty.

Quick Reply: EPC light lit after attempting to pass